Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

difficult to get too upset about that tonight.....

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"]When did we all start caring about this cup anyway?[/quote]I care about all games that Norwich City are involved with and as for this cup maybe the memories of our first visit to Wembley back in 1973 invoke a sense of pride not forgetting of course 1975 which i admit resulted in losses both times but then the achievement of 1985. The name of the cup may have changed over the years but to us old codgers it is still the League Cup.[/quote]

Yes, and you might remember we were relegated in 1985

Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB wrote:

''''Ah, the old "we can concentrate on the league" mantra following a poor cup performance......''''

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Presumably they were also hugely concerned with our two cup fixture wins prior to yesterday''s match?

[quote user="curious yellow"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"]When did we all start caring about this cup anyway?[/quote]I care about all games that Norwich City are involved with and as for this cup maybe the memories of our first visit to Wembley back in 1973 invoke a sense of pride not forgetting of course 1975 which i admit resulted in losses both times but then the achievement of 1985. The name of the cup may have changed over the years but to us old codgers it is still the League Cup.[/quote]

Yes, and you might remember we were relegated in 1985[/quote]

This.

What would the expectation of today have demanded then?

Watching Dave Watson lift the cup yet then hopelessly waiting for Coventry to beat a pissed up Everton to relegate us?

If it had been last season, how many would have elected to lose the cup final, have a nice day out but ultimately stay in the Prem?

How many would now demand Ken Brown got the sack because we went down?

Of course, in hindsight, we won our only major trophy, went down and then won Division two. We signed Kevin Drinkell, we then went on to finish (if memory serves) 5th in the top flight the following season (might have been the next year I was only 7) So that relegation, sticking with a manager ended up seeing us with a cup, a championship and our highest ever (at that point) league finish.

However, things have changed and there is an immediacy about football today. It''s got to be now. Rarely are people, managers, allowed to build and when they do (Wenger) it is still divisive because "well, we used to win the league".

Here we are approaching November and we''re within a half decent spit of an automatic promotion place, yet still we''re disgruntled because we''re not dominating the opposition for 90 minutes, playing flawlessly and, dare I say it, winning every bloody week.

We can all see that mistakes cost us points but show me a team in any division where that isn''t the case?

As it is, we''ve got the players we''ve got. That will not and can not change until January at the earliest and even then the wallet might appear full but it''s probably just three white fivers folded up (apparently).

So all the stamping, whining, bleating, demanding, criticising and hypothesising in the world will do feck all unless you truly believe that another manager could somehow make these players play better.

Perhaps they could. I don''t know. But from where we sit at the moment that''s a gamble we KNOW that this board won''t take, or at least wouldn''t have in McNallys day.

If we hit Xmas and we''re sliding, they''ll sack him.

Until then, I''d suggest we''re better off strapping in for the ride rather than trying to change what we can''t. The players are as good as they are. Sublime at times but desperate at others.

That ain''t gonna change. We can''t afford wholesale change and we''re already better than most, if not all, in this division.

Long haul. There''ll be good, there''ll be bad and Norwich will OBVIOUSLY throw in the odd horror show, it''s what we do.

It''s always been that way. Even when we were good. Negative goal difference finishing third, 1-7 at Blackburn etc etc.

I still think we''ll go up and I''m going to do my utmost to enjoy it. We must always strive to improve but if you demand perfection in anything you''ll be eternally disappointed.

OTBC

Liverpool.

What a marvellous (pay)day that would have been.

Television coverage too.

Oh well!

Good luck ... and goodbye Leeds.

But if £25m+ worth of players (and gawd knows what they pick up each week in wages) are incapable of scoring a penalty between them then what should we expect.

Let''s hope that that shoot-out is the low point of the season and that it''s an upward curve from now on ---- starting with Saturday.

P.S. I was upset about last night. It encapsulated the things that have been wrong in what is basically a decent season so far.

as I said earlier...I dont think we would have got Liverpool away as the numbers on the balls were aplhabetical.....we would have had Newcastle''s number and Newcastle and Liverpool would have moved up a number.

...so I ''think'' we would have got Hull away?