Sign in to follow this  
pete

The current situation looks very much like 2014

2014 was the Adams era when up to November we were well placed and been top a couple of times. Then we fell out of the top 6 and Adams fell on his sword. Again we got results early on without really impressing, Neil came in and ignited the squad. This season seems like a mirror image of the 2014/5 season.

If we continue to drop points we shall soon fall out of the top 6 the clamour for a change that is already being made will grow and the Board may act similarly again.

Similar only in that we started well and then fell away for a time, but we had a manager then who had no experience as a manager or taking us up.  This manager does and he will show his mettle in the coming weeks - because he''s done it before.  If people keep calm and trust the manager, things will improve again.  He''s done it before, he''ll do it again.

Now I''ve had time to digest things, while it is concerning over the defensive situation, we''re still in the play off positions and when AN arrived, he got us to promotion, so my view is people should back off a bit for the time being.

All the ''clueless'' and ''useless'' histionics are rather wearing. Note that ''clueless'' Chris Hughton is proving to be more than clued up at a club where he doesn''t have miserable excuses for supporters breathing down his neck from day one, as was the case during his Norwich tenure.

Back off him "for the time being"?

What does that mean, back AN until you say so?

I don''t think anybody is truly on his back yet, especially at games, it''s not like the end of the Hughton era where people were baying for blood

However there are comparisons to the end of Neil''s tenure. We are starting to stagnate, teams have worked us out & I don''t think we are necessarily that hard to play against or beat - simply keep it tight at the back and we will give you a chance to score

I think Neil himself is having a mini crisis - the whole world and his dog can see our issues, but he cannot figure out how to stop them. His recent post match comments suggest this to.

My guess would be the next 4 or 5 games could be huge for him, but it wouldn''t surprise me if we got a hard fought win and clean sheet at Brighton

Anyone coming in off the back of Lambert was onto a hiding from the fans. Hughton did an excellent job for the first 8 months, some good signings and a great run of results in the premiership. For some reason after January his first season we went all defensive and it was that mind set sent us down the following season. Hughton was a decent manager.

Neil is a decent manager, he''s not as good as some like to think as he''s not got the knack of changing a game for the positive, we lose more points from winning positions than gain from losing positions.

We''ve had a good run of results but played some bang average teams recently, when we come up against decent teams it''s going to be the test.

I can see a thread with the yearly mini league soon.......I bet results from the top ten sides in this division will probably cost us automatic promotion.

You only need to look at Newcastle & Villa for top 2 for me, yep I know people will think me mad but watch Bruce do what he does best at this level.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Similar only in that we started well and then fell away for a time, but we had a manager then who had no experience as a manager or taking us up.  This manager does and he will show his mettle in the coming weeks - because he''s done it before.  If people keep calm and trust the manager, things will improve again.  He''s done it before, he''ll do it again.

[/quote]

Os last season so easily forgotten ?

Why are you so sure he can weave his magic again ?

We should never be in this position...its down to the guys incompetence that we got relegated originally, we had the job done with the home win over Newcastle and yet somehow Alex managed to snatch relegation from the jaws of safety....Remember Sunderland at home? yeap, the no show !!

He survived the relegation on the back of our day at Wembley the previous May, his apology to the crowd and promise to learn !!

Sorry but I have seen no lessons learned......and had you been at Birmingham for the humiliation you would have sensed the tide turn that day, No one but no one in the 2000 strong away crowd could believe Naismith was the lone striker while Lafferty watched from the bench, the guys get out of jail card expired there and then....he is now on borrowed time and I for one dont think he has the answers

What worries me is that Neil seems to be coming out with the same old waffle after every dodgy performance. Also this non-existent injury crisis that keeps getting mentioned.

Yes, Howson is injured but he was actually dropped for the Wolves match prior to his injury. Mulumbu is injured but how often did he play anyway? Jarvis has basically been injured since we signed him so I''m sure we have learned to cope without him!

I think AN is a lot stronger mentally than Adams was and can man manage the players better too.

Tactically he will improve and the addition of Alan Irvine will prove shrewd as the season goes on.

AN is still a very young manager and will make ''rookie'' mistakes but I firmly believe he will go down as one of our greats by the time he leaves Carrow Road for the last time.

We just need to be patient and let him work with the team and am sure we will be where we want to be come the end of the season.

would be interested to know who the OP would rather we have at the helm?

He desperately needs to get the next transfer window right. If not then he''s in a bit of trouble.

Agreed but in his defence he needs to be backed at Board level to ensure the shambles that has been our recruitment process over the past few seasons does not continue.

But he has been backed though - that''s the issue

Look at our transfer windows under him - we certainly cant say he hasn''t been backed

Klose 8mil+

Naismith 8mil+

Pritchard 8mil+

Oliviera 5mil+

Brady 7mil+

He has been given more money to spend than any other manager in our history (granted its a different market now)

Canos, Maddison and Jarvis were all decent outlays as well for us Mulumbu is on silly money.

He''s been our manager for almost 2 years and of course had his stint at Hamilton.

At what point does he stop being excused because he''s young?

He was old enough to get credit for what he did to get us promoted so he''s old enough to take criticism for the mistakes he''s made since.

[quote user="GJP"] He was old enough to get credit for what he did to get us promoted so he''s old enough to take criticism for the mistakes he''s made since.[/quote]
That''s a strange post. What makes you think he can''t take criticism?