Sign in to follow this  
Big Vince

Over To You Delia & Wynnie

If the players can''t defend and the manager and coaches can''t organise a decent defensive line and the hapless recruitment department can''t or won''t find any decent defenders, then you two need to change into your tracksuits and get down to Colney to sort it out.

AS THE OWNERS OF THE CLUB YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE THIS IS NOT BY ANY MEANS A NEW PROBLEM. IT IS A LONG-TERM FAILURE.

It ought to be one of the easiest things to sort out on the training ground and does not require any great skill or experience. You just need to get bodies in defensive areas, mark people, track back, get tackles in, stop crosses, head balls out and away, etc.

I don''t know why your manager should be disappointed with the defending or end result because it is an inevitable consequence of the way he sets up to play.

4-2-3-1 my foot!

He is playing 2-2-5-1 most of the time. How on earth are you supposed to defend the goal with that - especially down the flanks and through the middle when the CBs get drawn out of position?

Absolute pandemonium at the moment any time a ball comes into the box.

Whole Board just sit there and watch it game after game and do nothing.

We ended the 92/93 season in 3rd place in the Prem. With a negative goal difference.

Bo doubt Vinnie would have demanded Robert Chase do something about the defensive failings of Messrs. Walker, Gunn, Culverhouse and Bowen etc during that season?

"and does not require any great skill or experience" - Pig Mincemuch as posting on here does not, it would appear

[quote user="Big Vince"]If the players can''t defend and the manager and coaches can''t organise a decent defensive line and the hapless recruitment department can''t or won''t find any decent defenders, then you two need to change into your tracksuits and get down to Colney to sort it out.

AS THE OWNERS OF THE CLUB YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE THIS IS NOT BY ANY MEANS A NEW PROBLEM. IT IS A LONG-TERM FAILURE.

It ought to be one of the easiest things to sort out on the training ground and does not require any great skill or experience. You just need to get bodies in defensive areas, mark people, track back, get tackles in, stop crosses, head balls out and away, etc.

I don''t know why your manager should be disappointed with the defending or end result because it is an inevitable consequence of the way he sets up to play.

4-2-3-1 my foot!

He is playing 2-2-5-1 most of the time. How on earth are you supposed to defend the goal with that - especially down the flanks and through the middle when the CBs get drawn out of position?

Whole Board just sit there and watch it game after game and do nothing.[/quote]
You need to get together with Jim Smith and between you work out if anyone at the club is responsible for us being on 27 points from 13 games. Because you two seem to have decided that this success is despite anyone in a board/management/recruitment/playing position. Perhaps you know the teal lady? Or did I see my buddy Angus selling programmes on Saturday? Perhaps it''s him.  Somebody at the club must know the secret of obtaining more than two points per game...

Hopefully in January we will be able to move a few on and get in a centre back and another striker which should see us in the playoffs at least.

Only playing for one automatic place this year

I think the other clubs in this division should sort their defences out too, ''cos I can''t see a single one that hasn''t conceded a few goals this season. It''s almost as if they are all trying to lose.
Ipswich have conceded fewer goals than table-topping Newcastle...that''s working out well for them, isn''t it?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Luck. It will run out.

Crap transfer windows, worse subs, poor game management...

When we finish twelfth, I bloody told you.[/quote]

Delia and Wynnie should just go because they are not leaders, they hold the club back and we could have won 3 Champions Leagues by now if the Chase era had been built upon instead of being eroded away.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]If I remember correctly the Chase era ended when he sold anybody who was decent, Sutton, Fox etc etc[/quote]

If I remember correctly Chase also BOUGHT the likes of Bowen, Crook, Fleck, Townsend, Linighan, Newsome, Ekoku, etc and then encouraged the youth to come through in Gordon, Sutton, Eadie, Sutch, etc.

Ashley Ward and John Newsome sold in a fire sale to stop Barclays Bank calling in a short term unsecured loan that Chase could not repay.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Ashley Ward and John Newsome sold in a fire sale to stop Barclays Bank calling in a short term unsecured loan that Chase could not repay.[/quote]

Still not giving Chase credit for the players he BOUGHT. But hey, why accentuate the positives when with a bit of typical British mean-spiritedness the negatives are far more gratifying?

"....why accentuate the positives when with a bit of typical British mean-spiritedness the negatives are far more gratifying?"

Pig mince writes his own epitaph

The irony is splendid (although someone may need to explain the concept of irony to him...or draw him a picture).

Apples

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Ashley Ward and John Newsome sold in a fire sale to stop Barclays Bank calling in a short term unsecured loan that Chase could not repay.[/quote]

Still not giving Chase credit for the players he BOUGHT. But hey, why accentuate the positives when with a bit of typical British mean-spiritedness the negatives are far more gratifying?[/quote]If they had not been the subject of a fire sale the loan would not have been repaid and we would have been forced into administration. Unless of course you see the outcome otherwise.

The fire sale and debt under Chase weren''t as bad as what we saw under his successors. Many years after he left, the debt had ballooned and we were forced to buy virtually a whole new team.Just saying!

[quote user="93vintage"]The fire sale and debt under Chase weren''t as bad as what we saw under his successors. Many years after he left, the debt had ballooned and we were forced to buy virtually a whole new team.[/quote]

Without the crucial context that the bulk of the later debt was a direct result of the forced rebuilding of the South Stand that is a dangerously misleading comparison.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]The fire sale and debt under Chase weren''t as bad as what we saw under his successors. Many years after he left, the debt had ballooned and we were forced to buy virtually a whole new team.[/quote]

Without the crucial context that the bulk of the later debt was a direct result of the forced rebuilding of the South Stand that is a dangerously misleading comparison.[/quote]How much did that cost? The debt rose from something like £7m in 1996 to £24m in 2009.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]The fire sale and debt under Chase weren''t as bad as what we saw under his successors. Many years after he left, the debt had ballooned and we were forced to buy virtually a whole new team.[/quote]

Without the crucial context that the bulk of the later debt was a direct result of the forced rebuilding of the South Stand that is a dangerously misleading comparison.[/quote]How much did that cost? The debt rose from something like £7m in 1996 to £24m in 2009.[/quote]

As I recall the South Stand rebuild was £8.5 million and in about 2004 the club took out two loans worth £7.5 million each to cover the cost of that and also refinance the accumulated debt from previous years. There were also loans from directors which took the overall debt to £21-22 million by 2009 or so.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]The fire sale and debt under Chase weren''t as bad as what we saw under his successors. Many years after he left, the debt had ballooned and we were forced to buy virtually a whole new team.[/quote]

Without the crucial context that the bulk of the later debt was a direct result of the forced rebuilding of the South Stand that is a dangerously misleading comparison.[/quote]How much did that cost? The debt rose from something like £7m in 1996 to £24m in 2009.[/quote]

As I recall the South Stand rebuild was £8.5 million and in about 2004 the club took out two loans worth £7.5 million each to cover the cost of that and also refinance the accumulated debt from previous years. There were also loans from directors which took the overall debt to £21-22 million by 2009 or so.[/quote]Just to flesh that out a bit. What I had forgotten was that on top of the forced rebuilding* of the South Stand there was also the building of the Norwich Union Community Stand, with a total bill of around £10m.In addition to the two loan notes of £7.5m from Axa there were also loans of around £3.5m from Bank of Scotland, and interest-free loans of a few million from directors, so the 2009 total was £22.8m.*Although the rebuilding was forced on safety grounds the scale was not. The directors gave themselves three options - keeping capacity at 4,000, doubling to 8,000 or trebling to 12,000. Choosing the middle option seemed the right course at the time, although presumably the 4,000 option would have at least reduced our future financial problems. But in retrospect, purely in terms of accommodating fans, trebling would easily have been justified, given how Smith and Jones and Doncaster and Cullen sharply improved attendances (in contrast to the Chase era) so that even down in the second tier the ground has been close to full, and is under-sized for the Premier League.

[quote user="Big Vince"]If the players can''t defend and the manager and coaches can''t organise a decent defensive line and the hapless recruitment department can''t or won''t find any decent defenders, then you two need to change into your tracksuits and get down to Colney to sort it out.

4-2-3-1 my foot!

Whole Board just sit there and watch it game after game and do nothing.[/quote]

Might as well give this a bump up as it is as relevant now as it ever was. Moreover, you all had a good laugh at Big Vince after the last round when he was left homeless, but I have to say you are not laughing now are you? Big Vince always has the last laugh because he knows precisely what Delia is like. He knows the managers at this club are contracted to get knocked out of the cups because the record speaks for itself. He knows that Delia likes to have a soft underbelly because her left-leaning politics informs the way in which she and Wynnie handle the club. If we had a hard-right owner we would get some hard men into THAT defence.

Stowmarket Two are in office but not in power. So little done to address long-term ills. Silence and drift from the Board. Leaders on the field? Where are they off the field?