Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

If Not Alex Neil, Then Who?

Genuine question.

I don''t think Alex Neil is likely to resign or be sacked this side of Christmas & probably not this season unless form drastically dips & we find ourselves outside of the playoffs

But for those that think he should go now, soon, or even think hes not under pressure at all, who would be a credible alternative?

And please, don''t say Paul Lambert...

I am still behind Neil, for the time being at least. I can''t see anyone out there who would be a natural replacement - just glanced down the list of current EFL managers and can''t see anyone exceptional. I guess if I had to try to pluck a name out of the air, what about Ryan Giggs? Learnt from the very best, played at the highest level, very keen to make tracks in coaching.

It won''t make much difference. Football management is a bit like bull riding, very few stay on for the full eight seconds.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Genuine question.

I don''t think Alex Neil is likely to resign or be sacked this side of Christmas & probably not this season unless form drastically dips & we find ourselves outside of the playoffs

But for those that think he should go now, soon, or even think hes not under pressure at all, who would be a credible alternative?

And please, don''t say Paul Lambert...[/quote]

Paul Lambert returning to NCFC is about as unlikely as an independent Scotland being allowed membership of the EU. In other words, it will not happen.

i would go for Giggs

A fantastic player does not make a great manager we have seen that many times before

BUT the standards he has set all his career is something i would love to see here

he knows how training should be set up he has seen the best

knowledge of how coaches and scouting set up should be done again seen the best

his contacts would be huge in the game

seeing and playing at such a huge club with such a great manager for so many years he must have picked up more than someone who played at lower league clubs in scotland

you certainly wouldn''t get any players saying so gaffer what did you ever win when you were playing !!!

if someone like Giggs talks about football you listen

they wont sack him, the board havnt made a decision in ten years thats been genuinely ambitious, they always leave it too late

if he goes now theyll go for someone they are chummy with, like hodgson, which could be much worse.

Yes, obvious, because things went so well for him at Villa and Blackburn...

i did say when he was sacked by england that Woy would be here in some capacity either DOF or Manager

Big sam was on silly money at west hamm so i doubt he would come here

[quote user="The young canary"]

Let''s hope Moxey can see it and act[/quote]

Don''t worry about that, Jez will be 5 steps ahead at all times.

One love

Our board don''t like spending too much on compo so it would suit someone who is currently not at a club. They''d have to have at least a top 2 finish in the champs and premier league experience on their cv. It''s a long shot but I''d prefer the club to appoint a British manager who''s won the Champions League whilst playing for a continental team.

One of the best candidates has just gone to villa. I agree nothing will happen for months at the very least so it is all academic and anyone could be on the market in 2017. I still think lambert takes some beating. Don''t be fooled by his time at villa he kept them afloat a lot longer than many

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i did say when he was sacked by england that Woy would be here in some capacity either DOF or Manager

Big sam was on silly money at west hamm so i doubt he would come here[/quote]

After his recent exploits, do you think he would get another high paying job?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]One of the best candidates has just gone to villa. I agree nothing will happen for months at the very least so it is all academic and anyone could be on the market in 2017. I still think lambert takes some beating. Don''t be fooled by his time at villa he kept them afloat a lot longer than many[/quote]

I agree.

Furthermore nobody could do a thing with Blackburn due to the lack of resources

Ref giggs

i look at it like this

if you had a Aston martin garage

would you employ someone who has worked in the best garage in the world and been and worked with with aston martins all his life

or someone from the local scrap yard who has been stripping fords all his career ( AN )

Giggs has been around the best

he knows how the best work

he knows how the best club is set up

every sign manager knows him

i bet he knows more about tactics than AN does now

so yes it would be a gamble but i feel one worth taking

he could turn in to the next roy keane or next pep ??

Actually, if we were to get rid of a manager while we were in the play-off slots and one point off the automatic promotion slots, I''m not sure any manager worth his salt would touch us with a barge-pole, and I think most other people would think we''d completely lost the plot.

littleyellowbirdie wrote the following post at 27/10/2016 10:51 AM:

Actually, if we were to get rid of a manager while we were in the play-off slots and one point off the automatic promotion slots, I''m not sure any manager worth his salt would touch us with a barge-pole, and I think most other people would think we''d completely lost the plot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly this.

[quote user="Yellow Wal"]littleyellowbirdie wrote the following post at 27/10/2016 10:51 AM:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly this.[/quote]I also agree, I only mentioned Giggs as the only credible candidate I could think of. To sack Neil now would be absurd, but if we were to lose our next two games then we could conceivably be going into a two-week international break outside the top six. I''d take some convincing to switch into the ''Neil out'' camp, but we don''t know how itchy Moxey''s trigger finger is, so it does no harm to hypothesise.

[quote user="Paul Spector"]Any of the following preferable to AN:

Paul Lambert

Glenn Hoddle

Roy Hodgson

Tim Sherwood

Ryan Giggs[/quote]

dear god, that''s just a list of all the unemployed managers you can name. Sherwood is the best one!!

Didnt Sherwood have a great record at Spurs?

Yes I know he failed at Villa, but so did anybody else who went near it when it was clearly a sinking ship

I''ve never quite understood why he is so universally disliked - maybe somebody could explain in simple terms?