Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

the seriousness of our defensive weakness

It is a matter of debate as to the reasons as to why we are so bad at the moment ie poor players poor organisation etc etc. I thought it interesting to show some comparisons

this season we have conceded 19 league goals if we continue at that rate the end of season total will be 64

The season we were relegated under roeder from the championship we conceded 70 only 6 more.

The season we were promoted under Alex Neil we conceded 48.

Conclusion if we continue at this rate we are unlikely to be promoted despite having a wealth of talent in other positions

"It is a matter of debate as to the reasons as to why we are so bad at the moment ie poor players poor organisation etc etc. I thought it interesting to show some comparisons

this season we have conceded 19 league goals if we continue at that rate the end of season total will be 64

The season we were relegated under roeder from the championship we conceded 70 only 6 more.

The season we were promoted under Alex Neil we conceded 48.

Conclusion if we continue at this rate we are unlikely to be promoted despite having a wealth of talent in other positions."

Good post YC.

The bottom lines are that if AN cannot sort out this very real defensive problem then we won''t go up and he will be sacked.

Is it personnel? Is it system/tactics? Is it poor coaching? Is it a more serious malaise within the Club?

Who knows?

I do know that this is probably the weakest most predictably vulnerable City defence that I have known in many years of supporting.

And, it''s happening at precisely the wrong time.

Jellyfish, not defenders.

Surely Wee Alex could have predicted that, inexperience or not?

For what it is worth I think that some of the results last season shattered the defensive confidence of players and management alike in particular Newcastle away and Liverpool at home. There were many others in between but for the players involved in those games it was the footballing equivalent of ww1 shellshock and that confidence may well be broken for ever and the follow on performances this season suggest that may be the case

We have had a fragility for a number of years, we have had pace in only olsson and players losing form.

Pinto and klose are great additions but if we do go up, and there must be a defender bought in January to help do that. Do we in the summer also buy other defenders?

Bassong, turner, whitts, Martin and Bennett have been here and unfortunately it has been a bad time for our defence. I think olsson may take his chance away from NcFC, as out transfer window history does not give confidence that we will buy the amount we need.

It is a personnel situation, our defensive midfielders will need to be upgraded in the summer. Our tactics do need tweaking as with so little pace at the back we look so vulnerable.

I''m with 93vintage in his oft expressed view that we need to stop hankering after "success NOW" and adopt a longer term perspective. The price we pay short term is several years in the Championship; the prize will be promotion to the EPL with a team better equipped to survive and prosper. Too many of our current squad are in the comfort zone, have little prospect of greater achievement and seemingly lack appetite and hunger. The majority are good professionals whose careers have already peaked, with a sprinkling of youngsters on whom our future really rests. Let''s forget about promotion for the time being and give more of our promising youngsters starts in the team, even if it means benching older favourites.

Blimey westcoast I am assuming that''s a wind up.

If it isn''t then what you advocate will lead to one man protests at FCR