Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

The Hughton pre match compliments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ddgdn

So we''re on the other side of the fence and being bigged up by Hughton in a pre match interview.

Still sounds like a true gent.

A good man,  had a difficult time with us, but proving himself again at this level, which he would have done for us, had he taken us on in the championship rather than the PL pressure cooker.    Will be a tough game, but we beat them there last time.......

As a person I liked him.

Completely lost faith with his tactics and approach to the game.

There were so many debates on here about his pre match comments, I''m not sure what was the real concern about that, presumably that we were handing an initiative to the opposition.

I wonder if our players are feeling that positive vibe from Hughton now and if it will make them play better on Saturday?🤔

[quote user="VanWink"]As a person I liked him.

Completely lost faith with his tactics and approach to the game.[/quote]Absolutely my sentiments.I still think he''s probably been one of, if not THE best manager we''ve seen from a public facing and professionalism point of view, just his god awful, defensive tactics provided us with some of the most dire football I''ve had the displeasure to view as a City fan, and that includes the rough years following our original drop from the Prem back in the early 90''s...

He should have gone 4 or 5 months earlier to give us a chance of staying up, or he shouldn''t have gone at all & I believe he would have led us up as Champions the next season

The board buried their head in the sand thinking everything would be OK, then reacted at completely the wrong time out of desperation to try and keep us up

Rogue Baboon said

The board buried their head in the sand thinking everything would be OK, then reacted at completely the wrong time out of desperation to try and keep us up

It''s like he seeing the future

Chris checks out as one of the smoothest operators in the game today. I know he seemed very serious on the touch line but my source within the club informed me that when he''s backstage the guys a party animal and taught Bassong how to do that African dance celebration we''ve seen before.

To be fair I read this morning that Hughton referred to Hoolahan as a "big influence".

Shame he didn''t use him then.

If you''re on a good run and well placed in the league, then a press conference when you''re respectful about the other side is sensible - you don''t hand them anything their manager can use for motivation, and it may help make sure your team don''t get complacent.

On the other hand, if you''re managing a struggling team that''s poorly placed in the league...

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

If you''re on a good run and well placed in the league, then a press conference when you''re respectful about the other side is sensible - you don''t hand them anything their manager can use for motivation, and it may help make sure your team don''t get complacent.

On the other hand, if you''re managing a struggling team that''s poorly placed in the league...

[/quote]That is the effect of his comments undoubtedly, but I also don''t doubt that his kind words about us were sincere. A thorough gentleman whom I wish every success... other than tomorrow, of course [;)]Although the football became turgid and soulless towards the end, for a lot of that first season under CH we looked like as genuinely at home in the Premier League as we did under Lambert. The style was effective to begin with, for sure, and he was the right man for the job at that time.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[/quote]
That is the effect of his comments undoubtedly, but I also don''t doubt that his kind words about us were sincere. A thorough gentleman whom I wish every success... other than tomorrow, of course [;)]

Although the football became turgid and soulless towards the end, for a lot of that first season under CH we looked like as genuinely at home in the Premier League as we did under Lambert. The style was effective to begin with, for sure, and he was the right man for the job at that time.
[/quote]

True, he always struck me as a decent bloke.  In his first season, he sorted out our defence, which under Lambert had always been a weak spot which he was able to disguise with a cavalier playing style.

I still find it hard to forgive him that in his second season he spent record amounts on a selection of strikers none of whom suited his playing style - in my view, he didn''t really grasp the attacking side of the game.  In his first season he was lucky to have Grant Holt, who could play effectively in his style.  But in his second season we ended up with RVW, Hooper and Elmander (don''t mention Becchio) none of whom were effective up front in the way he had the team playing.  It may be that he''s learned how to manage that part of the game since then.

ICF wrote: "in my view, he didn''t really grasp the attacking side of the game."
How on earth do you reconcile that with the statistics of his other teams (Newcastle, Birmingham, Brighton)? The evidence since he left us surely is that he was defeated by exactly what is also defeating AN, the combined inadequacies of our players.

Indy_Bones wrote "I still think he''s probably been one of, if not THE best manager we''ve seen from a public facing and professionalism point of view, just his god awful, defensive tactics provided us with some of the most dire football I''ve had the displeasure to view as a City fan, and that includes the rough years following our original drop from the Prem back in the early 90''s...

Agree totally, my only period in the last 20 odd years when I felt like stopping going to matches, it was dire, and as already said earlier on this thread, should have gone months before.

[quote user="king canary"]Nice guy. If we''d have stayed up and he stayed on though I would probably have given up my season ticket.[/quote]So if you were a Brighton season ticket holder you would now be handing it in?

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]In his first season, he sorted out our defence, which under Lambert had always been a weak spot which he was able to disguise with a cavalier playing style.[/quote]In his first season we got an additional -3 goal difference in exchange for this ''sorting'' of the defence.By the 2nd season this worsened even further with an additional -17 goal difference.So whilst Hughton may have slightly ''sorted'' our defence out, when the exchange in season 1 was worse overall GD than under Lambert, and even more laughably terrible in the 2nd season, then it certainly wasn''t an exchange I think any fan in their right mind would have taken given the choice...

I''m amazed that people still let these press conferences upset them. They''re a load of old pony. And, as I used to say at the time after Hughton''s, the players take absolutely no notice of them. They are for the benefit of the media and are contractual. The players get wheeled out and get it over with. They know that they have to find words that mean nothing and of course they know their manager has the same problem. So as long as the manager doesn''t publicly criticise the players and the players don''t publicly criticise the manager then neither party could care less what is said.

@westcoast

No, because I believe he''s playing a better style of football.

During that second season I was living in London and taking a two hour train ride there and back to watch us play the most negative, soul crushing football I''d ever seen. It made going to Carrow Road an extremely expensive chore, one that I was ready to give up.

@king canary
But why did you assume that, had he continued to manage us, the style of football would have remained the same? Hughton has served up what you call "a better style of football" at all three other clubs he has managed, as well as on occasions during his time at Carrow Road. It''s patently clear that what we were subjected to over the latter part of his tenure wasn''t the kind of football Hughton himself aspires to have his teams play. 

I think he''s always been an extremely good manager when it comes to making things more solid and the defensive side of the game; the problem came when he had to evolve into sorting our attack also.

Buying two strikers to the tune of £15mil that, yes, had good records, but had only ever played well for big teams in little leagues that play on the front foot, showed his weakness in this area.

I think he probably learned from what happened at Norwich and the result is what we see at Brighton now.

@westcoast

Because I''d already given him the benefit of the doubt after the first season. I thought some of the dross we served up at the end of his first season was just due to a lack of talent up front that would be rectified in the summer. He then went and spent the biggest transfer budget any Norwich manager had ever had and was still playing God awful football.

I don''t really care about what he did at other clubs- he''d shown no evidence of trying to evolve his style while at Norwich.

[quote user="king canary"]

I don''t really care about what he did at other clubs- he''d shown no evidence of trying to evolve his style while at Norwich.[/quote]

It was not necessary for him to evolve his style, as his style is to play as a team from front to back, which at every other club he has worked at has produced good football, plenty of goals and relative success.  He did his best to implement his style at Norwich - but he was unable to get the players to be successful at it, in a premier league where despite the millions we spent, we were

always among the least resourced of clubs, a premier league where the whole of the bottom half of the table were within a few points of each other. The pressure on him and the players we had, was too great.   

Agree witth hat Nutty. The players should know the real messages that managers want to communicate with them and will know what the manager thinks ......you know that too because players tend to repeat the managers thoughts after matches. They internalise what the big ideas are, the tactics, the summaries.

Let''s hope they are hypnotised today to win, or rather if we get ahead to not let any lead go again!