Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Alex Tetty / Gary o`Neill

Alex seems a really nice guy but I just don`t see why he gets picked every week. Poor passing, poor tackling, poor shooting (other than his usual one goal a season thunderbolt) and is his head threepenny bit shaped cos whenever he heads it we don`t know where it`s going. As for Gary, maybe we should have given him his two year deal, would have kept a ball winner, good passer and more importantly that leader and presence that we all seem to be crying out for, captain material who I believe players would have listened to. Just my opinion.

[quote user="daisy"]Alex seems a really nice guy but I just don`t see why he gets picked every week. Poor passing, poor tackling, poor shooting [/quote]1) Out of our regular starters, only Dorrans has a higher pass success rate (as do Pritchard and Naismtih, but AP''s hardly played and Naismith has half the game time of Tettey).2) Tettey makes more tackles on average than any other city player, and is our 2nd best player in terms of interceptions (just 0.1 average behind Klose)3) He''s a defensive midfielder - WTF do you expect???So in other words, you''re talking complete cod$hite whilst running down one of our best and most committed players over the past 5 years...

Interesting stats Indy. However he was crap yesterday. I also think he lacks the discipline to provide protection to our central defence and is prone to some headless chicken moments.

I love stats. Mainly because without context they say absolutely nothing.

The problem with Tettey is that if those around him are having an off day, he does very little for your side. Mainly because he isn''t a player that will create. He rarely looks to play long or complicated balls. He wins it and then normally off-loads it.

The problem with this is that in sweeping attacks he can often slow it or fail to take advantage of a chink in the armour of the opposition defense.

The one thing you said is right "he''s a defensive midfielder" - it doesn''t mean he shouldn''t have a greater rate of passing.

I like Tettey, and when the team is on song, he allows others to attack and relax their defensive responsibilities.

But I have noticed a couple of times that teams almost seek him out as the week link, press the ball back to him and put him under pressure.

Anyway, like I say, he''s not the weak link as such, he''s just not going to help when those around him are not performing.

Have to say, I''m one of those who isn''t a great fan of Tettey.

He may add some steel to the midfield with his tackling but his passing and general football awareness are really poor.

I think he''s one of the main reasons there often seems a sense of panic about the team. I''d have kept O''Neil over him and would much prefer a centre partnership of dorrans and Howson.

Not sure what we do without Howson, is mulumbu close to coming back?

I totally agree Daisy. I have never understood what everyone sees in Tettey. I think he is a lumbering, clumsy oaf. His passing is atrocious, I don''t care what the stats say. Anything other than sideways or backwards and it has little or no chance of reaching a yellow shirt. GON was/is no world-beater but I''d pick him Tettey every time.

I think Tettey is generally very good at what he does - the only time he really causes a problem is when the rest of the team aren''t playing well - i.e Preston - he''s not great at showing for the ball so Dorrans spent a lot of time holding on looking for a pass and Wes was typically the only option.

It''s something Howson offers that Tettey doesn''t. But Tettey is a better defensive mid than Howson.

I personally don''t think that we need a player like Tettey at this level.

In the Prem, when we are for the most part looking to stop superior technical teams playing, there is an obvious case for a pure "stopper" like Alex, who does little more than break play up and lay the ball of to a nearby teammate.

However, at this level, where we are looking to win every game, I simply don''t think he offers enough. Do we really need a player whose sole role is to break play up against the mighty Preston (who don''t seem to score from open play anyway)? That''s why we''ve missed Howson so much since he''s been injured - the guy is far more of an all-rounder, and brings a lot more to a team looking to compete at the top of the table.

Another lumbering performance from Tettey, today. Exactly why is he in the team?? If anyone watched the game today can they please tell me.

Could never understand why O''Neil was not given the extra year he, understandably wanted. Extra year hande out to a few who most of us would have been pleased to be shot of, and hardly likely to figure this season.

O''Neil was the best corner taker for some years

Tettey is proving a complete waste of space at the moment.

As expected, he offers absolutely nothing going forward, and is offering sweet FA in the protection of the defence.

Might as well dispense with him entirely and add an extra forward to ease the burden on Jerome.