Sign in to follow this  
Horsham Canary

First game for my 8 and 6 year old boys, GREAT!

Today was the first game that I have taken my 8 and 6 year old boys to see our beloved Norwich.

Yes, I''m not a frequent Pinkun poster, but the city are in my heart and felt that the disapointment from today deserved a post.

Thoughts from today:

1. Firstly, thank you Sir John Ruddy for coming over after your warm up and having your photo taken with my boys. Much appreciated and still a legend in my eyes and after today will certaimly be between the sticks next week!!!

2. Dear Norwich players, try telling your 8 year old son a positive about today to stop him crying as the 4th goal went in! Come on guys, someone step up to the mark out there on the pitch and lead the team!

3. Yes Alex, Delia, Russell: your club is our club and as fans (especially new young fans who get the Arsenals, Man U''s and Spurs thrown at them at school) we deserve more from you! We travel long and far, and yes I know we can not win every game, but please please try and give it 100%. As manager, player and board you are in a privilaged position and get to do what you love doing. i.e be so close to football that most of us would love to experience instead of our dead end careers!.

4. At 41 years old, I''m used to the ups and downs of being a Canary, but I do hope that someday my sons generation could experience the passion, desire, top flight football, hell - even a trophy that the mighty yellows could lift high, alas that seems so far away at present!

So on we go to Leeds at home and fingers crossed (and much more) my boys see our beloved Norwich put in a performance that gets them to fall in love with the club.

OTBC

Get the disappointment out of the way early. Learning to live with it is all part of the game.Long term, joy and sorrow comes in equal measure for an NCFC fan.

I''ve got a 6 and an 8 year old and was planning to get over for their first game this season. Think I''ll wait a bit. Mind you, it can be character forming.....

Agree with you all, but maybe a few of the younger supporters should be invited into the dressing room before the game and show the "staff"/players what the yellow blood in you vains looks like!

Yes, daydream believer I am!

My brother lives up near Manchester and has a five year old who we had to get to Carrow Road before granpa got round to taking him to Old Trafford. We decided upon the Sheffield Wednesday game. It was a good job that he almost got hit with a ball during the warm up, as because of this he spent much of the game hiding under his seat and ended up missing most of the drivel we were served that day. [:)]

No point in trying to make kids support a club. Just let them get on with it and hope your enthusiasm rubs off. Also I can''t imagine anyone under 10 really taking on board a full football match and all that comes with it

Remember one of my first games and I think we were losing to Newport County

[quote user="NCFC198"]No point in trying to make kids support a club. Just let them get on with it and hope your enthusiasm rubs off. Also I can''t imagine anyone under 10 really taking on board a full football match and all that comes with it[/quote]
I went to my first game when I was 2 and followed City far and wide during my school days - my Dad even wangled permission from my school (aged 7) to take me off school for the day, to make the 400 mile round trip to Carrow Road to be there to watch us put Bayern to the sword. I remember it clearly. I also remember being in the stands at Forest away the season before, beaming with pride chanting "We are top of the league".
Maybe I''m an anomaly but I was a fully fledged fan long before I was 10. Conversely, I think 10 is actually too late to be trying to get kids interested in Norwich when all their mates are supporting the big boys. 
I would go so far as to say a large part of the reason we have 27,000 every week these days and have not averaged lower than 24k for over a decade, despite fading to mediocrity under Roeder/Grant etc before the Lambert resurgence, and a season in League One etc, is down to the kids for a quid scheme we ran regularly in the late 90s. Even when we finished 3rd in the Prem and were in Europe we only averaged 16-18k per game.