Sign in to follow this  
StevenageFan

Charlton started, Jarret didn't??

I know Jarret hasn''t set the world on fire, but I thought he played better in the second half on Saturday than Charlton did, I was surprised when he was subbed for Hendo over Charlton.   Anyone else agree or disagree?

Once again Worthy has chosen to play a player out of position when he has proper midfielders on the bench, I really don''t understand that.  No offence to Charlton I have always liked him as a player, but he just looks out of his depth in the middle.

I agree - Jarrett once back in the middle was far more effective that Charlie but was only so for 20 mins before he was dead on his feet.

Its all academic now.

OTBC

What''s the obsession with Jarrett? He was not good on Saturday. Marginally better in the second half, but still not convincing. Tonight, when he came in, he was still not convincing. It''s a pity Hughes had to go off. Charlton is better, though still no substitute for Safri.

Another example of just what a managerial genius Worthington is , Jason Jarrett supposedly a replacement for Francis and that good he cannot get a game when the whole midfield is out injured. The midfield is our biggest weakness as spotted by many posters before the season even started, no creativity whatsoever.

I agree Stevenage.

JJ has barely been given a decent chance in the starting lineup to judge him by. His confidence is low and on Saturday he looked poor in the first half (but who didn''t??). Fact is that the guy IS a midfielder and Charlie is NOT. More to the point he was ALSO CARRYING THE REMNANTS OF THE HAMSTRING STRAIN HE PICKED UP SATURDAY BUT WAS STILL PREFERRED TO JJ!    

It may have made no difference whatsoever of course but I believe it was a fundamentally wrong decision by Worthy. It shows his overriding empahsis as a manager to send sides out away from home to defend and then just hope to nick something.

To be fair though, based on the commentary, I think it was that 10 or 15 minute spell after the 2nd goal that killed us. If we could have kept it tight to halftime and prevented more goals (which is the immediate priority when you go 2 behind), we MIGHT have been able to play our way back. At 4-0, it was all over. We created a lot of chances and should have been ahead when Luton scored their first, then suddenly a freak goes in and you''re 2-0 down. That is the time when you MUST dig in at all costs and stop the rot.

I hope that Worthy will now (finally) give Jarvis the first team run he has deserved for two years now. Did you hear Ashton''s comments re Jarvis last night? Interesting.  

The obssession with Jarrett is that he is a midfielder and our midfield performances without safri have been relegation standard.

JJ was beyond poor inthe first half on sat but for the 1st 20 mins of the second half he was OK - he looked like a central midfielder doing a central midfield job - and twice as effective as charlie. Yes he got tired as lack of match practice kicked in but the signs were there that he may be better than the small glimpses we have of him so far.

JJ is not a world beater - but he is a central midfielder while charlie so clearly is not.

Start playing footballers in their proper places.

OTBC 

no obsession Old Boy, I just can''t stand it when Worthy prefers to play a left back in the central midfield role over a proper central midfielder.   I have been at all the home games bar two this season and Charlton has been unconvincing whenever he has played.   Lots of spirit and determination, but usually just a blur of arms and legs thrashing about to win balls.   Jarrett has not yet been given a proper run, due to his early below par performances and an injury, but what I saw of him Saturday he was better than Charlton and should have started.   Some people who were at the game say that Ashton spent a lot of time in midfield because it was rubbish, say no more.   Also Jarrett finally came on with 6 minutes to go, what on Earth do you expect him to do in that time?  It''s pointless and ridiculous, at 4-1 down Worthy should be throwing new options onto the pitch with no less than 15 minutes left to play.

[quote]I know Jarret hasn''t set the world on fire, but I thought he played better in the second half on Saturday than Charlton did, I was surprised when he was subbed for Hendo over Charlton. Anyone else a...[/quote]

Jarrett looked poor on Saturday and I should say Charlton should say ahead of him