Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Not putting in a shift, the symptom of the root cause?

I for one believe that Russ Martin showed more character in coming out to be interviewed after the game on Saturday than some of our players did during the game. Yes, it could be argued as captain that is what required of him, although I do know he has stepped up to the plate in the past to give interviews in the Gunn Club, when the MOTM, who is the normal interviewee, didn’t fancy it because of the result/performance, that imo shows the character of the man.

Unfortunately, there are some on here who still feel the need to have a dig at him, the Glass Houses post being one. However, imo that post misses the point entirely, as whether RM is the right player, in the right team, in the right position, at the right time, is totally irrelevant, what is relevant is that his gives of his all at all times, irrespective of whether or not he agrees with the tactics, no matter what position he plays, whether or not he feels motivated by the manger, etc. etc. This doesn’t make him the best player in the world but it does put him up with the elite when it comes to professionalism.

More important for me is what he said, which in a nutshell, was that there are players not putting in a shift. We can all criticise them, whoever they are (we all no doubt have our own selections), and wish they were as professional as our captain and I add my name to that list, but even more importantly is why they chose to ‘down tools’, what is the root cause, because I’m certain Saturday’s performance was the symptom not the cause.

The ultimate leader of the team is AN, after all he is the Manager and the clue is in the job title, and it falls to him, with the help of others, to ‘sort it’. Some of those who may be considered to have downed tools may even have been brought to the club by AN himself but whether they were inherited or not, he is the ultimate leader of the on pitch club employees and is ultimately responsible for team selection, tactics, substitutions, motivation, psychological and physical, conditioning, mindset, and overall performance.

Unfortunately IMO Saturday’s result, and performance (of some of our players), could be the extinguishing of the dying embers of the flickering flame of hope that a young inexperienced manger would be our saviour, unless someone (most likely this is the roll of the CEO) rolls up their sleeves and gets stuck in and takes whatever corrective action he deems appropriate, which may not necessarily mean parting company with our current manager, although I suspect this would probably be the most likely action, although another could be to give a senior manager currently between jobs, a short term contract to work with/mentor the current incumbent.

Good evening Ray. If you will post at three minutes to midnight you can hardly be surprised if there are only western hemisphere ex-pats at their keyboards [;)]
Rather than symptom/root cause, I''d suggest symptom/disease/root cause. The kind of disease you''re referring to requires two or more "sides", the manager being one. If you identify the manager as root cause, you effectively exonerate the others. There is no law that says the manager must always be at fault, but the reality is that it is easier and cheaper to dispense with the manager.
Outbreaks of this type of disease, by the way, need be nothing to do with inexperience. There was nothing inexperienced about Brian Clough when he took over at Leeds, nor about Mourinho in his second coming at Chelsea.  

Hi Westcoast,

OK but one slight problem, You said "The kind of disease you''re referring to ...." But I made no reference to ''disease'', you did?

That said, I agree a disease has symptoms but it also has a cause. There is always a root cause, there may be sub-causes but only one root cause, whatever that may be and in this scenario this does not have to an individual, more likely an aspect of their skill set, which of course could be improved given the right environment/corrective action.

Morty,

Love the bloke, just not sure I like some of his managerial decisions, etc.

That is possible you know, maybe you and LDC could try it, wouldn''t half cheer some of the rest of us up (winky smiley face thingy).

Morty,

OK, love is over the top I will admit, however I have nothing against the man, just don''t agree with some of his methods. Doesn''t make him or I bad blokes.

Anything I have written about AN refers to his management style, never have I questioned him as an individual. It''s a shame others on this board can''t adopt the same outlook rather than calling each other some quite offensive names, it might make it a better place to come.