Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

The Signs Are Unfortunately Ominous.

Ldc I think we have already seen the good times with Alex, nothing I have seen from him give me the confidence that he can turn it around. Yes Chris seems to have developed but would he if he had carried on here, sometimes in life you need the knock back some time away to see where it went wrong. The only comparisons you can really make between Alex Neil and Alex ferguson is they have the same first name and they are Scottish. Unfortunately it ends there and we need to make the change. Alex Neil is no Alex Ferguson!

[quote user="lake district canary"]yes I know it wasn''t working at Norwich - I just think that if you stick it out during the bad times, quality will show through eventually, as with SAF at MU.[/quote]SAF never ever served up the consistent dross that Hughton did, because if he had, he''d have been gone long before it got to the stage we allowed.I don''t care if Hughton did well at Brum, Newcastle, Brighton or wherever, or what he''s like on a personal and presentation level, the football he provided us with during his tenure was utterly terrible and he should be rightly and roundly criticised for this, regardless of what he might now be doing elsewhere.

Hughton was rather hamstrung in that second season by the attacking players we signed for big money in the previous summer. Assuming he had an input into those signings it doesn''t leave him blameless. However adapting his tactics to the players available was probably his only option.

He wasn''t hamstrung by them, he completely mis-used them and set us up completely incorrectly for the players we had and the type of football that suited both fans and board.

OK. I''ll just hold up those players PL records since. You come back with Hughton and Snoddy wrecked their careers. Then we can move on...

Look at the impact of Bruce on what is widely regarded to be an inferior group to that of Norwich. There can''t be many who believe a Neil side will finish above a Bruce one.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Look at the impact of Bruce on what is widely regarded to be an inferior group to that of Norwich. There can''t be many who believe a Neil side will finish above a Bruce one.[/quote]FFS. You were the same prick whinging a couple of months ago about their fantastic strikeforce, and how that we would regret not signing the ones they got.

The game is still being played and earlier on those seats were packed with away fans. We had 2,886 filling the stand. A sign if ever there was one that Alex Neil is losing the crowd.

He will undoubtedly get the Leeds game and a few more to turn it around. Martin immediately put the blame on several of the players, so we can expect at least 3 or 4 changes next week.

That means he is going to have to drop some of the players he has himself signed - will be an interesting selection.

Incidentally, before every season I, like many others I''m sure, forecast the scores of games and we are bang on the points target I set after 15 games. We finish with 89 on my reckoning, which should be enough for 2nd - and that includes a draw at home to Leeds next week.

Next Saturday is the players'' chance to make it up to Alex Neil. If we capitulate like that again next weekend, he''s a dead man walking, especially with a two-week international break to follow. Personally I''d be happy to give him a few more games to get back on track, but the board will know what the atmosphere is like behind the scenes and whether or not it can be rectified. If we lose on Saturday and the fans turn, there''s only one way it''s going to end.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Next Saturday is the players'' chance to make it up to Alex Neil. If we capitulate like that again next weekend, he''s a dead man walking, especially with a two-week international break to follow.[/quote]Have you considered this this may be exactly what they are hoping for/wanting?If faith within the dressing room towards the manager has gone, then it''s perfectly feasible to suggest that they could do just that in order to force the boards hand.It wouldn''t be fair to the manager or the fans if that was the case, but if you feel like the guy in charge is holding you back or you have no respect for their ability, then frustration can come to the boil and tough decisions can be made in the process...

If we leave it much longer then we can wave goodbye to the playoffs. Plus we risk Paul Lambert getting snapped up by another team.

[quote user="Leonard Rowntree"]If we leave it much longer then we can wave goodbye to the playoffs. Plus we risk Paul Lambert getting snapped up by another team.[/quote]Well, yes, there would be that upside.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Feedthewolf"]Next Saturday is the players'' chance to make it up to Alex Neil. If we capitulate like that again next weekend, he''s a dead man walking, especially with a two-week international break to follow.[/quote]Have you considered this this may be exactly what they are hoping for/wanting?If faith within the dressing room towards the manager has gone, then it''s perfectly feasible to suggest that they could do just that in order to force the boards hand.It wouldn''t be fair to the manager or the fans if that was the case, but if you feel like the guy in charge is holding you back or you have no respect for their ability, then frustration can come to the boil and tough decisions can be made in the process...[/quote]I have no doubt that this is what happened at Worthy''s Last Stand against Burnley. I actualy spent about 45 minutes on the phone to Doomcaster in the week leading up to that match, and one of the questions I asked him was whether he believed the players still wanted to play for the manager any more, as it certainly didn''t look like it. Doomcaster replied: "I believe you will find out the answer to that question on Sunday."I didn''t think things were that bad in the camp that the players would revolt, but yesterday''s ''performance'' was on a whole other level of incompetence to anything we''ve seen so far under Neil. I think something is seriously wrong behind the scenes, and it''s up to Neil whether he can convince the players that he wants to get them back on side. The truth, as always, will come out in the fullness of time.If anyone really believes that the players will down tools again next Saturday to try and get rid of Neil, Leeds are currently 7/2 at William Hill... just sayin''. [6]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Leonard Rowntree"]If we leave it much longer then we can wave goodbye to the playoffs. Plus we risk Paul Lambert getting snapped up by another team.[/quote]Well, yes, there would be that upside.[/quote]Well, who else is there to take over? The clamour for Paul Lambert to return gets stronger with each passing day.

[quote user="Leonard Rowntree"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Leonard Rowntree"]If we leave it much longer then we can wave goodbye to the playoffs. Plus we risk Paul Lambert getting snapped up by another team.[/quote]Well, yes, there would be that upside.[/quote]Well, who else is there to take over? The clamour for Paul Lambert to return gets stronger with each passing day.[/quote]But he''s not really a Messiah. [;)]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The young canary"]I know reliably that Lambert would consider a move back to Norwich now the way is clear subject to a few ground rules that he was angry about last time[/quote]

I think if Lambert were to come back our club would be set back ten years.  It was unique and marvellous when he was here, but the perfect storm that occured when he was here last, will not happen again.  He has shown since that it was a one off situation. Coming back here would unquestionably be a mistake for all concerned.

[/quote]

I''m with LDC - first time around might be wonderful but it rarely works again...

Kenny Dalglish

Howard Kendall

Kevin Keegan

Jose Mourinho

Mike Walker

The list of failures is longer than the successes.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Leonard Rowntree"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Leonard Rowntree"]If we leave it much longer then we can wave goodbye to the playoffs. Plus we risk Paul Lambert getting snapped up by another team.[/quote]Well, yes, there would be that upside.[/quote]Well, who else is there to take over? The clamour for Paul Lambert to return gets stronger with each passing day.[/quote]But he''s not really a Messiah. [;)][/quote]Don''t fight it! It WILL happen despite what the unbelievers say!

Our Board are playing a cracking waiting game for PL then, Leonard. PL has been out of a job for nigh on 6 months now. I guess as each day passes, without him returning, then we save a few quid on wages for him. Genius

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Our Board are playing a cracking waiting game for PL then, Leonard. PL has been out of a job for nigh on 6 months now. I guess as each day passes, without him returning, then we save a few quid on wages for him. Genius[/quote]Even our board must realise that Alex Neil has turned into a disaster. Knocked out of the cup by Leeds and now humiliated by Hughton with the players downing tools.Fail to win against Leeds the clamour for Lambert to replace Neil will reach fever pitch.

Whilst there were many fans calling for AN to go yesterday there were NO calls for Lambert to return.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Whilst there were many fans calling for AN to go yesterday there were NO calls for Lambert to return.[/quote]Be patient and watch for the signs.

Lambert was fantastic here last time and when he left i honestly thought it would have been a spurs etc his stock was so high ,

Any Manager is a Gamble some come off some are terrible

Lambert has nothing to lose coming back we need the club united like it was under him once again

we need the players hungry again we need that champions league winners medal being hung up on the wall in the mangers office again !!

he made a mistake leaving he will know that !!

forget his time at Villa / Blackburn this is his home !!

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Lambert was fantastic here last time and when he left i honestly thought it would have been a spurs etc his stock was so high ,

Any Manager is a Gamble some come off some are terrible

Lambert has nothing to lose coming back we need the club united like it was under him once again

we need the players hungry again we need that champions league winners medal being hung up on the wall in the mangers office again !!

he made a mistake leaving he will know that !!

forget his time at Villa / Blackburn this is his home !![/quote]

As a motivator of lowly teams on the up, he is fine.  I suspect AN is of similar ilk.  What we wanted to see from both Lambert and AN is whether they could make the step up to PL standard managing.  Lambert did it - but most of us knew in our hearts that he would probably struggle the next season as we tried to upgrade the squad and defence.............he didn''t stay long enough for us to find out......    I certainly thought AN would be up to it, but he plainly wasn''t - but the difference between him and Lambert is that he didn''t walk away. He stayed on to try and take us back up.   And I believe he will - he did it before and he knows what it takes - he just has to get the players attitudes right (not an easy task by the looks of things).   So as things stand, I would definitely rather keep AN than have Lambert back.   Lambert had everything going for him and he did a great job, but once that first season in the PL was over, he blew it and walked - or made it impossible for himself to stay on  - and imo should never be allowed back. 

For those who say it will never work a second time round with Lambert just remember Eddie Howe left Bournemouth for Burnley but since his return things have not gone too badly for them.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]For those who say it will never work a second time round with Lambert just remember Eddie Howe left Bournemouth for Burnley but since his return things have not gone too badly for them.[/quote]Eddie Howe made it quite clear about his commitment and love affair with Bournemouth.  Lambert never said anything about our club. For him it was a way of getting a step up to somewhere else.  Great.