Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Not that bad!

In top six,4 points from top,good championship squad,money to spend in Jan on defence,more or less full home ground,not too bad really.Poor result at Brighton but as I have said before there are only six to eight teams who can give us game the rest are poor.So we are still on course for play offs with a chance at top two,not too bad is It?

[quote user="mr footy"]In top six,4 points from top,good championship squad,money to spend in Jan on defence,more or less full home ground,not too bad really.Poor result at Brighton but as I have said before there are only six to eight teams who can give us game the rest are poor.So we are still on course for play offs with a chance at top two,not too bad is It?[/quote]Sighs, sticks head back in sand.

It''s the matter of yesterday''s defeat. Our own captain came out and said some players gave up, that''s deeply concerning.

Let''s not forget the 4 we shipped at Newcastle, which probably should''ve been more. The 3 at Birmingham. The 2 goal lead we let slip at Fulham.

We are shipping goals game after game. And the manager doesn''t seem to have an answer. Same tactics week in week out. Same underperforming players getting picked week in week out. Tettey has been awfull last few games. So has Klose. Wes is awesome 1 match then you hardly see him for next 3 games.

You''re right it''s not that bad, and a lot of people are going overboard. Brighton was a horror show with too many mistakes but if you look at the match, the first half was even apart from our goalie giving them a goal, we started the second half well and I was believing we could get back into it, but once again we were caught on the break. After that we lost heart for the battle. So that''s Brighton and Newcastle we''ve lost to and are top, but we have matched them and are just behind them in the table. It will not take a lot of changing to turn it around. Personally I''d like us to get the ball forward quicker before defenders are set. My only hope is that AN sorts it out.  

I think it will take an enormous amount to turn it round. There were signs yesterday that the team were not behind the manager and the captain admitted players had given up.

That sort of thing does not get sorted out easily. Our best chance is the very next game. We need to show a totally difference performance, get the crowd on side and start to build again. If that does not happen then I can''t see how AN will be in a position to sort it out.

When the players are not behind the manager there''s only two ways forward. The manager goes or the players who don''t support him go.

I''d like to remind people that we had an atrocious run last year and got relegated. We are that bad and Alex Neil should be booted out of the club.

Two or three wins and this game will be forgotten, lose then we will have to make some decisions on the team. Perhaps a few changes will be needed.Overall still a team that should finish top six.

[quote user="mr footy"]Two or three wins and this game will be forgotten[/quote]Not a chance.I still remember the horror shows we''ve had against Liverpool and Suarez et al, no amount of wins is going to erase them or other shocking capitulations such as the end of season disaster against Fulham...which was 6-0 instead of 5-0...

So there are only 6 to 8 teams that can give us a game? You clearly haven''t been watching as nearly every team has given us a game and we''ve struggled in the majority of matches this season. Saturday had been coming for some time as the performance levels had been far below average for weeks.

I remember being in a team that lost 9-1.These things happen in football although we did win the next six games,drawing the last game so it can change very quickly. We are a good team that is a Fact.

[quote user="mr footy"]In top six,4 points from top,good championship squad,money to spend in Jan on defence,more or less full home ground,not too bad really.Poor result at Brighton but as I have said before there are only six to eight teams who can give us game the rest are poor.So we are still on course for play offs with a chance at top two,not too bad is It?[/quote]I got as far as '' money to spend in January '' [:|]

Mr Footy, you may be right and things will improve again - I sincerely hope they do - but you have to admit that the writing is on the wall for the manager.  He can''t take many more poor performances before he is forced out.........and it will be the players'' fault if he is.  I do hope he turns it round, because if things get worse and he does go, I will be one of many who will be totally cheesed off with the way the players have not performed, for whatever reason and even if we got SAF in out of retirement, I would still feel that way about them. The players have to sort themselves out and raise their game to acceptable standards for their level.   If they don''t, it should be they that get the push.  And yes I know the buck stops with the manager, but the players are the ones that need to show the moral backbone.

Or, alternatively LDC, the manager has got to send them out motivated and wanting it. The buck stops firmly with Neil. Time for a reprise of ''There''s only one Paul Lambert''. Just think how that would lift the club.

Three basic goalkeeping errors made the score look far worse. To me the reason we lost was that for the first 60 mins we were totally in control with little threat from their forwards. It was a typical Hughton set up with two rows of four defensive players across the pitch. BUT we never looked like scoring. Continually slowed down by Wes who saw plenty of the ball, but frequently dispossessed and often played his short passes to a colleague already surrounded by three opponents. We simply did not move the ball quick enough and bring Murphy and Pritchard in the game. We had nobody who could put their foot on the ball, look up and play a penetrating pass. Surely Neill can understand it is pointless to pass the ball around in midfield and then someone eventually hoofs a high ball up to Jerome who has nobody near him for the knockdown. At halftime, based on previous performances, there was that feeling that we should have been ahead, but missed the opportunity. Needless to say we conceded another gift goal, from our free kick on the edge of their penalty area. Heads fall - end of story. Certain players should have done much better, but the quality of the football served up was just not good enough. Sorry, I do not rate Alex Neill, has a lot to learn re tactics. Why should we have a manager who is always learning ???

[quote user="morty"]Players making stupid mistakes is not the managers fault.[/quote]

Completely agree, the players did him no favours at all at Brighton.

However, leaving it until 0-4 to throw Naismith and Brady into the mix is down to him. What on EARTH was the point of bringing them on four down with ten to play? Will those ten minutes really benefit Wes and Pritch? Were either of them playing well enough to not be subbed?

They could both have been hooked at half time and I was a bit surprised one of them wasn''t (Pritchard).

I''m not sure that it''s he doesn''t know how to change it, I think there''s perhaps a stubborn defiance that he''s right.

Whatever it is or was, it was a disastrous day at the office for the whole team, the management and was bloody horrendous from the stands.

I''ve seen us get tonked all over the country but this really was one of the worst.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]You''re right it''s not that bad, and a lot of people are going overboard. Brighton was a horror show with too many mistakes but if you look at the match, the first half was even apart from our goalie giving them a goal, we started the second half well and I was believing we could get back into it, but once again we were caught on the break. After that we lost heart for the battle. So that''s Brighton and Newcastle we''ve lost to and are top, but we have matched them and are just behind them in the table. It will not take a lot of changing to turn it around. Personally I''d like us to get the ball forward quicker before defenders are set. My only hope is that AN sorts it out.   [/quote]Thats a strange post,you say we matched Brighton, but lost 5 v 0, dont want to be at the next game when we may be outplayed!we are in decline with Neil as manager, not one player has progressed

We have good players but we are far from a good team, we are not a tech college if Alex needs to learn he should be loaned out to league 2

I agree playoffs are a reasonable expectation but there are a couple of clubs that could force us out of top 6 and though it is a long way to the end of the season we would need a lot more positive momentum to have any hopes of going up via playoffs. We got points against ordinary teams early doors when not playing well when we have come up against the better teams ie Birmingham Newcastle Preston Fulham and Brighton we have been found wanting. This squad is no where as good as we thought it was

[quote user="morty"]Players making stupid mistakes is not the managers fault.[/quote]True.However, when the manager keeps picking the players who keep making the mistakes then it is his fault.

What if he doesn''t actually have any players he considers better, to replace them with?

We revert to blaming scouting and / or the board?

[quote user="morty"]What if he doesn''t actually have any players he considers better, to replace them with?

We revert to blaming scouting and / or the board?[/quote]Well not long ago we were supposed to have the best squad in the league.Surely as the manager, he would have some input into who we bought and sold

I''ve asked this question elsewhere, does anyone think we are a better side now than we were at Wembley?