Sign in to follow this  
he

Michael McGowern

Unbelievable error from the keeper. Perfect start for Brighton who will see this out wiith a 1-0-win. Really poor by the keeper.

Terrible start against a team who like to sit back and see out one goal wins after going in front.

Like I''ve been saying for weeks, good shot stopper but much more required to be a quality keeper.

He''s part of the Scottish empire at CR and will not be dropped. If this causes our loss today AN will emphatically protect him by stating ''he''s done wonderfully well for me so I''m not going to criticise him''!

To be fair, on a fair basis we''ve not really had any reason to drop him so far, so Ruddy has had to wait. Depending how the rest of today pans out, we may see Ruddy given a chance soon. However, he does still have the rest of the game to redeem himself. If he makes a world class save after we go 2-1 up you won''t be calling for his head!

Not one for the future either at 32. Agree is a good shot stopper so looks a bit spectacular at times but is weak at crosses, free kicks, corners etc. Also too quiet for me - at least Ruddy can shout at defence.

It''s already been said, but we''ve kept one clean sheet in 15 games. That''s woeful, but AN never drops his favourites and that means McGovern won''t be dropped.

Has kept 1 and a half clean sheets (2nd half v Sheff Wed, and 1-0 win v Bristol City) - our only ones in the league (I guess Ruddy kept half a clean sheet v Sheff Wed too)

I''ve felt unconvinced by McGovern for a while- good at stopping shots inside his personal space, and his rushing out is pretty good, but ultimately I don''t see why he''s still in over Ruddy.

It''s quite similar to Bunn a few years back- a good keeper but falls down in a couple of key areas.

[quote user="City 2nd"]He''s part of the Scottish empire at CR and will not be dropped. If this causes our loss today AN will emphatically protect him by stating ''he''s done wonderfully well for me so I''m not going to criticise him''![/quote]
He''s Irish.....

To be honest, that is the first horror error that I can remember from McGovern. In hindsight, he should have just put his foot through the ball and leathered it up field rather than taking a touch. But with Neil''s insistence that we play it out from the back, a la Guardiola, mistakes like this are to be expected. There is a very simple solution to cutting mistakes like this out, stop passing the ball back to the keeper and instead look to make incisive and forward passes.

He''s first real mistake in Norwich colours and here comes the criticism. Ruddy has been dreadful when he''s played this season. Shocking mistake against Leeds and also against Blackburn letting a tame header in through the middle part of the goal. McGovern has done a solid job so far and is our best keeper.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 2016-10-29 7:55 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

He''s part of the Scottish empire at CR and will not be dropped. If this causes our loss today AN will emphatically protect him by stating ''he''s done wonderfully well for me so I''m not going to criticise him''!

He''s Irish

Did I actually state he was Scottish? Think if you read the post it states he is in my opinion ''part of the Scottish Empire at CR?!'' Make of that what you will but his connection to one AN is Hamilton Academicals.

I acknowledge that he has only really made this one horror error for us, but these errors happen to every player eventually.

In general play, and where we do concede goals, I''m often left wanting more from him. A trampoline could get a clean sheet if every shot was hit directly at it.

Strange how people''s eyes play tricks with their minds. They see a player in the side make a mistake and suddenly the sub he''s deservedly kept out of the side on merit miraculously becomes better! 

They all make mistakes Jacko. What worries me is that with both the focus seems to be on their weaknesses. I''m a happy clapper but that''s definitely how I see it. 
Ruddy''s a long way from the player he was so perhaps he''s like Lafferty and all the rest and improved in our eyes by sitting on the bench.

Hmm, fair point Nutty - Ruddy does have a bigger build and frame, surely that means he is a better bench warmer than Mcgovern would be? More efficient heat displacement and bigger coverage area

he doesnt communicate with the back 4 as well as ruddy

at the end of the day hes not any better than hamilton, had he been someone else would have signed him a long time ago

[quote user="he"]Unbelievable error from the keeper. Perfect start for Brighton who will see this out wiith a 1-0-win. Really poor by the keeper.

Terrible start against a team who like to sit back and see out one goal wins after going in front.[/quote]

I see what you mean !!

He was fouled for the first goal. Murray shoved him out of the way with his hip before reaching the ball. A lot of refs would have disallowed that goal.

The problem was though that his awful first touch which let Murray in visibly crushed him. He didn''t even make any sort of protest about Murray, he was utterly stunned by his own mistake

It was all downhill thereafter. He kept making hopeful kicks when before he''d have passed out from the back. By the 3rd & 4th goals he''d gone (like the rest of the team).

I think Ruddy''s shot too, but he''s our only real option now.

Murray was extremely lucky to be on the pitch by half time. He performed one of the most blatant dives in the box I''ve ever seen, an obvious booking, & then should have been sent off when he tried to get Olsson sent off.

I know we had our own ''lovable rogue'', GH of fond memory, but Murray was at a whole new level & totally unsubtle with it. A total turd.

They were a pretty horrible team all round. Did you see Russ wrestling that Brighton guy to the ground near the end? He looked as if he wanted to spit on him. I honestly don''t think Martin would do that without good cause.

Something else that seemed odd; in the warm up Brighton had the sprinklers going until the last possible moment. It would be interesting to compare footware worn by the two teams.

[quote user="Jacko"] McGovern has done a solid job so far and is our best keeper.[/quote]Its obvious you''ve never played in goal. His deficiencies have been obvious from the start.Lack of physical presence, unable to dominate his area, good shot stopping is nowhere near enough at this level.

Happy for him to settle down here and be decent backup for a few years but he is not good enough to be a Championship starter. I''ve seen enough now to know he''s not on Ruddy''s level, which at the moment is barely good enough itself.

We''ve always had good keepers, wtf is going on with our scouting network? It''s been shambolic for years now. Ugh, we''ve wasted so much bloody money