Sign in to follow this  
Ray

PASS, PASS, PASS and PASS again

Those of us within earshot of our manager will possibly be as fed up as I am with him constantly screaming PASS whenever we have possession. He must shout out this instruction hundreds (if not thousands) of times throughout the game. I appreciate those that are not within earshot may be incredulous of what I have just said but I promise you it is what happens.

I have some major concerns surrounding this phenomena;

1) If the players don’t know it is a good idea to pass the ball occasionally, then, well need I say any more……

2) I wonder how they feel about being screamed at to pass, over and over, and over again

3) What faith does he have in the players if he feels the need to continually repeat the most basic of instructions

4) Is this the best and most creative instruction he can come up with

5) Does he believe it is motivational

6) Etc.

I sit within earshot and haven''t noticed this. He may shout it infrequently but there''s also a lot of other (often much more colourful) things he shouts.

No one that sits near the dug out can say he lacks passion. If only the players showed anywhere near that level of desire and commitment...

[quote user="morty"]5 past nine in the evening where I am Daly. So no, it''s really not bedtime.[/quote]Anyone fancy a game of "Guess where morty is"? UTC-6 is the clue. 

I care Morty, so I will answer your previous question. Plus you still in the Gulf of Mexico?

It''s nothing to do with the man himself, it''s to do with some of his methods, but he could be the Messiah (not PL) and I would still find having to sit through an entire football match with him screaming pass hundreds of times, somewhat galling, and that''s before the whistling. It was very evident yesterday that the Preston manager kept almost all his shouting instructions to when there was a break in play, I can but assume so they were more impactful, more likely to be heard, taken in and acted upon and less likely to disrupt a player''s train of though and concentration, something which is made quite a lot of on here, our inability to maintain focus and concentration, so I up offer a theory as to why.

Swindon,

Maybe you are right, or may be he should shout shoot a couple of times, cos I''ve just realised why we tend to pass when a shot is on.

Indy, well it could be cos it certainly ain''t CLASS, CLASS! But seriously, I wonder why he feels the need, surely it cannot be conducive to keeping the players in the zone.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]I sit within earshot and haven''t noticed this. He may shout it infrequently but there''s also a lot of other (often much more colourful) things he shouts.

No one that sits near the dug out can say he lacks passion. If only the players showed anywhere near that level of desire and commitment...[/quote]

Sounds more like it FZ, but who is correct, you or Ray? I suspect people hear what thay want to hear - much like people see what they want to see on here.   I''ve no doubt Ray is correct that AN shouts ''pass'' quite a lot, but probably shouts a lot of other things too.   Ray has made it clear in several threads he doesn''t think AN is as good as he could be, but then if you think negatvely about someone, you will pick up on things that are to you negative - and ignore the other stuff.  People used to pick on Hughton for opening his mouth - everything he said was given a negative slant. People tend to hear what they want to hear.

LDC,

I will agree that once something becomes a dominant thought your brain shoves everything remotely linked to it into your conscious, so it''s not so much hearing what you want to hear, but hearing it because it is a dominant thought, a bit like being in a crowded room and someone over the other side uses your name, they probably aren''t talking about you but as your name is quite important to you your brain filters it from the rest of the hub bub and shoves it into your conscious. So, yes I probably hear all the shouts of pass, whereas others may not, mind you so do those around me, who comment, and they comment because they pick it up, not because I have mentioned it.

I will also wholeheartedly agree he is passionate and that I like, I just feel, as you know, he could be more constructive with it.

Being passionate about something can have a detrimental effect just as easily, if not more easily, than having a constructive effect, it depends on your mindset.

To clarify, I do not think negatively about AN, I do however think some of what he does could be improved.

My point is, is the constant shouting (whatever is being said) productive, to the players and him, yes shout out instructions but may be pick your time. If a parent is constantly telling a child what to do/not to do, the child eventually starts to ignore the parent, and we''re all big kids really. Alternatively as adults we may listen out and take notice, but if the players are having to forever keep part of their brain power reserved for listening to their manager this must affect their ability to concentrate on the game. I have even see him calling out a player''s name, which was ignored initially but eventually the player looked over and all this whilst the game was in play and the player could have been called upon.

Perhaps the point is made by the following, what effect would it have if the goal keeping coach was stood behind our goal constantly telling the keeper what to do, I should imagine the keeper would get a bit pee''d off quite quickly, same principle applies across the park.

@Ray
Well there''s no doubting your passion either Ray, but it seems to me a shame if your disapproval of AN''s touchline performances is impacting your enjoyment of the games. A good quality pair of 3M professional hearing protectors would solve the problem at modest cost [;)]

All we and good Westcoast, but hen I wouldn''t be able to hear myself think, I think

4 passes, on average one of those was misplaced yesterday. To be fair I do think we have been too slow in moving the ball, if he has time to comment the player has probably dwelt too long again.

I see that conte for chelsea has a similar approach on the touchline,. Is he a bad manager too?

Each manager has their own style, if the players can''t recognise that or can cope with it after nearly two years I am sure there will be a mass exodus come jan or July

[quote user="Ray"]All we and good Westcoast, but hen I wouldn''t be able to hear myself think, I think[/quote]Conscious thought is silent soliloquy Ray; one''s auditory system plays no part. Personally I find it easier to think straight if I block out the distractions with earplugs. Or as those with hearing problems often comment, there''s an upside as well as a downside; my mother-in-law marvels at how quiet it is at night in her street (after she''s taken her hearing aid out ......) [:D]

[quote user="ZLF"]4 passes, on average one of those was misplaced yesterday. To be fair I do think we have been too slow in moving the ball, if he has time to comment the player has probably dwelt too long again.

I see that conte for chelsea has a similar approach on the touchline,. Is he a bad manager too?

Each manager has their own style, if the players can''t recognise that or can cope with it after nearly two years I am sure there will be a mass exodus come jan or July[/quote]It did occur to me that Ray''s description was of a man concerned about the tempo; rather like a dance teacher chanting "slow, slow, quick, quick, slow" as the pupils falter with the tempo of the waltz!

I''m afraid I simply can''t believe this. Til1010 sits pretty close to the home dugout and he hasn''t brought this up. We all know that if there''s something to whinge about he''ll always find it...😂😉

So Duncan,

Are you suggesting I am fabricating this, because I assure I am not and to be frank have chosen to take a small amount of offence to your "I''m afraid I simply can''t believe this."

Westcoast,

None of the many voices in my head, whether they be conscious or subconscious, are silent, are they?

Laugh, I nearly bought a round!

Steady boy, see another one of those bl**dy voices.

I''d cast doubt on this story as well

Nothing says "massively exaggerated" like "he says it thousands of times a game"

Buh,

You cast as much doubt as you like, it doesn''t change the facts.

Anyway I said hundreds, brackets, if not thousands, end brackets.

If you are not within hearing distance probably best you either keep your peace or call me liar without any facts- thank you.

I never actually said you were a liar, it''s interesting you went there immediately in your response.

You''d better check your pants mate, just in case they are on fire...

Ray wrote the following post at 23/10/2016 7:00 PM:

So Duncan,

Are you suggesting I am fabricating this, because I assure I am not and to be frank have chosen to take a small amount of offence to your "I''m afraid I simply can''t believe this."

I think you''ll find there are many who value our posts Ray. Keep up the good work! 👍

Buh,

Grow up and learn to read, I never said you did call me a liar, albeit you intimated it and interesting you went straight to saying I called you a liar, eh!

I promise you if I state something as fact, it is fact, albeit with a caveat on this occasion. Otherwise I always add imo.

Thanks Vanwink.

Over and out, got better things to do for a while than debate with non-believers.

If alex Neil says "pass" 2000 times a game he says it 20 times a minute with no breaks