Sign in to follow this  
andrew norwichcity

Vadis Odjidja Ofoe - Was he given enough of a chance?

Selling him was probably the correct decision but you have to argue that he was never given more than a couple of sub appearances in a row, did well on loan but had a lot of injuries at key times.

When I saw him play (rarely) he looked very capable of being a powerful forward moving CM/AM. I have no doubts hes better than Andreu too which would probably mean hes on his way too?

Anyone know how much we have received for him? Yet another undisclosed fee which is no surprise as our club never opt to reveal the cost of transfers.

Hardly any clubs in the entire country disclose their transfer fees. Using that as a stick to beat our club with is desperate stuff.

He was clearly not in Alex Neil''s plans and the manager saw him in training every day so I trust his judgment.

We have better and less injury prone players in the centra midfield position and he was never getting ahead of Wes, AP and Naismith in the advanced positions. Probably on a decent wage. Moving him on was in interests of the club and the player.

He never really did enough to warrant an extended run though. He''d flash potential (like the cameo v Southampton) but I think he screwed himself with that lazy performance in a key game at Bournemouth.

VOO is slightly different from the small, short & skinny attacking midfielders we have. Was clearly a different option.

As with BJ & Hooper - AN has again made the wrong decision.

Not uncommon for AN. Good/effective players are forced to leave & mediocre players are brought in.

To be honest, the pinkun article is confusing:

"Norwich City midfielder Vadis Ofoe has completed his move to Champions League hopefuls Legia Warsaw for an undisclosed fee."

Is the first line. The second line is:

"Ofoe has signed a two-year deal after terminating his contract with the Canaries."

One suggests a fee was received, the other does not.

In a way I am disappointed that we never saw what he had to offer in those flashes of class on a more consistent basis. He never really had that much of an extended run due to injuries. He needs regular starting action to get that and unfortunately he was past the point of getting it here. Shame as I say but I think the right thing for both parties to see him move on.

He gets a shot at Champions League football with the Polish top tier champions, in a league which is seen to be weaker in general than the Championship. Hopefully he''ll get regular games there and be able to relaunch his career.

Kind of a shame really but he is an expensive player to have in the physio room most of the time. Would he get anywhere near your first elevens?

Triple D, BJ scored 15 goals in our last promotion campaign, Hooper chipped in with 12. These were valuation contributions in that campaign, the same contributions are required for this one.

A squad is made up of different players with different skill sets.

Valuable jigsaw pieces that shouldn''t have been disgarded.

I understand the need to support AN while he is manager but for all the good work at does he also makes mistakes, if he didn''t we would still be in the Premiership wouldn''t we ?

So it''s down to AN we got relegated or the players? You''re suggesting that keeping players would have kept us up, Bradley was always going to be a bit part in the premiership as he was very limited playing on the left and not even close to being good enough in the centre 6 million was great money ask Derby fans who seem confused as to what he added to their team, I remember fans siting him as not being able to pass when Hughton played him there and calling him the weak link, Hooper was lazy and he might have scored a few last year but no other premiership team wanted to touch him so was never going to be good enough for the prem, went missing in the play offs

Where do you want us to play?

Championship or premier league?

We start again with great attacking options with another striker added I''m just gonna get behind the team

Vadis would only ever have been able to play for us regularly in the Hoolahan role. At times a genuinely exciting attacker, but dreadfully exposed at PL level for his total lack of defensive awareness- a team like ours can''t carry defensively blind players at that level. It''s part of the reason for Redmond''s blunted attacking prowess for us last year IMO.

The difference being that Redmond did try to be more solid, whilst Vadis wouldn''t even have time to make a confused face before opposition players had blown past.

One nice nutmeg and a chested assist does not a worldbeater make. It was a nice idea, the Odjidja-Ofoe experiment, but he never quite got physically fit enough or mentally fast enough for me.

it''s down to AN because he picks the players.

BJ was never a left midfielder in the Premiership but he certainly would have done a good job in the middle cos he''s a robust physical player that can compete and win the ball.

Hooper is a squad player that can come off the bench to score goals where required. 12 goals is a lot for a sub.

Those two may have keep us in the Premiership. BJ has in the past.

I''m happy with the acquisition of Canoes & Pritchard but also appreciate the contribution of past players such as BJ & Hooper. You go on about their present clubs - something I have no interested in.

I prefer to see us playing in the Premiership and also understand what it takes to stay in the division. You need to look further than just the eleven starting players.

Not long after Vadis signed I was told by someone with a keen knowledge of Belguim football that he would be a great player if he was prepared to put in the hard work.

Unfortunately it seems he was never prepared to put that work in and his talents are going to waste.

The fact that no clubs in Belgium made a move for him shows how his reputation in his home land goes before him.

Amazed Norwich managed to find someone to take him off the clubs hands and removing his wages from the club''s account is a welcome bonus.

He certainly showed flashes of skill, but , as we all know, it takes far more than that.

Re Bradley Johnson, one of my reps is a Derby fan, and feels absolutely mugged off with him. Looks like the stars were in synchro that promotion season with us. He was never going to be an effective midfielder in the Prem, so let''s not get overexcited about that. Looks like a similar argument could be aimed at Hooper. IF they were any good, then Prem teams would be all over them like a cheap suit, they are not. You can argue all you like, but until that happens, your point is mute.

Still not sure why people think Vadis was injury prone. He got injured once in that first start at Sheffield Wednesday was back March of that season and never got injured again. I make that about a year and three months he was available injury free, any fitness problems he had after that would have been down to him and the work he put in on the training pitch and not time spent in the physio room.

It''s a bit like when people argue that AN should play the young squad members more. Yes, IF he''d been given ten games to get experience he might have developed into a decent player. But in the meantime, we would have been at 90% of the team''s potential. We just don''t have the slack to allow that sort of experiment.

I did love his song though!

Crabbycanary2

Who cares how Derby does or how Sheffield does ! I don''t care about those teams or their fans. I''m not arguing anything, I made a point - others are arguing it.

I''m saying those two if not sold would have performed a part in our team last season. Your argument about why premiership teams haven''t come it for them is mute. Why haven''t premiership teams come in for Howson, Khose, Tettey or Naismith ? But you don''t put them in the same basket as BJ or Hooper do you ?

You totally don''t understand team dynamics and you''re totally unappreciative of the contribution by those two players to our club. With your kind of mentality no wonder the rep from Derby had to say something just to make you happy !

What on earth was that about Sixpack?

BJ and Hoops WOULD have played a part in our team last season, but it would have been a very minor one. You are missing the point about the effect he has had in a Championship team, last season.

I am not decrying either''s contribution either. BJ was awesome in our promotion season.

Understanding team dynamics? Not relevant to this discussion.

The players you mentioned, have all, at some point, been very influential in the Premier League. Sadly, from my point of view, BJ and Hoops have not, because I certainly wanted them to.

btw he is not MY rep, he does not need to toe the line, he is a fully grown adult, and is entitled to his opinion. It was revolving around a conversation that he instigated about Johnson (playing in the same League that he lit up the season before), and it wasn''t complimentary.

The manager sees them every day,. He had first team starts but he didn''t do enough beyond a brief cameo to force his way in permanently and showed nothing to suggest he was harshly treated.

We need players who are determined to show their quality week in week out this season,. Without the drive to show their rbes our talented champs squad will not get promoted.

As such I happily say good luck and ciao to voo

Crabby

BJ has been a great servant & would run through brick walls for this club - why didn''t you stick up him ? Derby actually got into the playoff''s but didn''t get promoted. But because of the whinging rep you have turned your back on BJ and pronounce he''s not any good.

No, I said he was awesome for us, and I could not fathom out why he wasn''t for Derby. The Rep said BJ was played left midfield, and centre mid, neither being effective for Derby.

When he was first bought by Derby, the Rep asked what sort of player Derby were getting. I said he should be great for them (top end of Championship). I did say that I felt he would get the run around by a lot of midfielders, if he played in the Prem for us, so it was a win win for both us and BJ.

The Rep was half laughing, and half shaking his head. He was just grateful it wasn''t his own money that paid for him.

I always thought Vadis was an odd footballer, clearly a lot of talent and ability, but no drive to make anything of it and he never seemed to fit into AN''s playing style or system, either.

I saw him a lot for the Dev. Squad and watched him in pre-season. With Brady out he had a great chance to make a good impression against Cov. down the left flank. The only thing I noticed from him all game was when he was withdrawn and suddenly we were attacking down the left as Murphy had been brought on. Says it all really.

A very talented lad who just never seemed to fit in on the pitch.

A very odd couple of years for him, but he''s off the wage bill now.