Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Is this Board losing its magic?

I don''t know about anybody else, but does this Board seem to be hard work sometimes and from time to time gets to a stage where its not that much fun?

Perhaps I am being over sesnsitive to comments from others (not directed at me I should add), but there seems to be a growing tendency for blanket condemnation of others'' views when they do not correspond to those of the reader.

When I look down the list of threads and spot one with an interesting title and a dozen replies, how much disappointment is there when I see that the majority seem to consist of accusing someone of being a binner, a response alleging credentials of true supporter status, others leaping on to the initial condemnation and a general degeneration of the whole debate. A dozen posts of one line each which are a complete waste of time.

There are plenty of message boards which consist of just this sort of rubbish, I don''t want to be elitist but those who can''t be bothered to treat others'' views fairly should populate those Boards with their unwanted rantings and leave the space for some good respectful debate.

This Board has been fun but the "thought police" seem to be out in force more regularly and more spitefully than in the past and I find that very disappointing. There are some on here who are posting regularly who are, frankly, a pain in the arse.

A good post Tumbleweed.  Following on from Canary Boy''s post, I have to say I definitely don''t post as much as I did.  I''m not 100% as to why this is.  However, in the last few weeks and months the board does seem to have slowed down a bit.  If you look back 12 months ago it was thriving more and proper debates happened daily.  More people posted more regularly.  I''m sure the web team have noticed a decline recently in the amount of posts they have to moderate

[quote]I don''t know about anybody else, but does this Board seem to be hard work sometimes and from time to time gets to a stage where its not that much fun? Perhaps I am being over sesnsitive to comments f...[/quote]

Yes - for the very petty childishness you mention.  

I still yearn for the discussion and debate (it seems a long while since I posted that my view had been changed - I liked that as it showed someone had thought about their passion) and enjoy those threads where someone disagrees with me but has taken the time toput their views forward - posters like filletthefishwife and trent canary do not share my views but they have taken the time to explain their stance and I have a lot of respect for them in doing so - even if we just end up agreeing to disagree

It is obviously a relevant issue as I have been posting on the same theme but hidden in other posts - and it saddens me that some other forums have become populated by posters from this site and now take pleasure in rejoicing that there are dwindling numbers of people and quality discussions on here.

1st wiz was the first in leaving, but he is far from alone (some I see elsewhere but where is templeton - another I respect and we seem to have lost?)  and that any forum can allow passionate fan to be bullied out of their home forum is a disgrace primarily on the posters in that forum but also on the forum owners.

Personally - I am finding it difficult to not to respond to some posts on a tit for tat basis but more crucially I refuse to bullied out of a site that is my main log on when the PC is booted up by a small group of fans who are stuck up their own banality - blast - th ti for tats have started coming out again....

Keep posting Tumbleweed - its posters like you, GTG, Mook, Fatmanfat, canarybabe, YC, FTFW tc etc (no insult to anyone not mentioned) that provide a little depth to what has become a shallower forum.

OTBC 

I discovered this forum when we were in the middle of our promotion season. Here I was, in Somerset with no-one to celebrate with, when all of a sudden there was access to a site where reasoned and healthy debate was the norm.

Obviously, at the time things were on the up for NCFC, Worthy was the greatest thing since sliced bread and we were on our way to the promised land. When we there in the Prem, we lost some games but every week we were proud of the effort & endevor put in by the boys. 

Since relegation, there has been an air of uneasiness on this board, back biting & sniping seems to be commonplace, and, if we can feel it on here, how must it be affecting the players during games?

That said, I love this website, it provides a way to stay abreast of all things NCFC and also helps me through the working day.  Long may it continue!!

Sorry Tumbleweed, this message board is the best and you obviously a, don''t go to any games and b, support Ipswich. Only kidding.

Yup, my post per day ratio is dwindling like James Beattie''s goal-to-game ratio at the moment, because it''s just a load of bickering on here.

It''s not just the "Worthy can do no Wrong" brigade - posts along the lines of "I hope we lose" and "Worthy is the world''s worst manager" are asking to be shot down in flames by one-liners.

Hopefully it''ll swing back to constructive criticism rather than just plain criticism soon.

On the subject of other posters, do you remember Master Green? He turned up around the time of the Huckerby saga, offended virtually everyone, then turned into the funniest poster I have ever read, then finally disappeared! Where''d he go?

Yes - don''t post much these days. I find the "debates", and I use the word advisedly, boring and repetitive to say the least.

On top of that, I can''t really be bothered anymore - just posting this because I''m listening to the game and it keeps me occupied while I''m waiting for us to miss a penalty !

If you lot aren''t moaning about Worthy''s tactics and Huckerby missing a penalty you are moaning about the forum   

Only joking guys

I have been off the boards for ages and have just come back on to see loads of this kind of thing you guys have mentioned and it is sad.   I didn''t even realise that 1st Wiz had left!!!  We must get him back he kept me entertained for hours.

Don''t let all the people that sit on the fence and only come up with statements like - support the team instead of moaning - look how much we have acheived under Worthy etc. etc., drive you off the boards, I enjoy the debate that goes on between Fatman, Zipper, DDiM, Mook, Fillet, weston, Vicar, gorleston jim, saint canary, XXL, plastic scouser....

ooohhh   Henderson just hit the cross bar and Huckerby missed the follow up, we are at least attacking though, come on Hendo!!!

where was I, oh yes, all the other regulars that post constructive, in offensive posts, keep it up and those that have nothing to say will soon bugger off.

Well I can''t quite yet face looking up all the threads tonight after this very poor result. No doubt some KTFers will be out in force pretending all is well along with the Worthy Outers who possess a growing pile of evidence. I am not sure what the answer is- I guess we keep plugging away and perhaps by ignoring the one line put down brigade they may get frustrated. But I suspect that there will always be some who keep that sort of stuff going. Maybe its time for the Mods to get a bit tougher, they read the posts and decide whether they can be loaded up so maybe a more regular use of the delete button could preserve the integrity of this forum.

So, onwards into the breach of the post Luton debacle threads.............

This entire thread is all the regular Worthy outers, going on about how the board has lost any real debate and interest. Have you looked at all the other threads this evening (week, month?)which all are basically Worthy out. This might be why the board has become quiet???!!!! What''s there to say if you don''t think the sacking of NW will suddenly change our fortunes? And at the end of it the complaint is that the KTF people only respond with one line dismissals. I posted a thoughtful reply on a thread last week asking what people thought had actually changed since we''d started winning again, and got not one single response. So mine and presumably other''s feeling is why bother. I''m as cheesed as anyone else about tonight''s result (and the other''s), very seriously pi**ed off in fact. The KTF aren''t some blind bunch who believe anything and everything from the mouth of NW, Munby or anyone, but if you want Worthy to go, then come up with some alternatives and stop pretending you''re all some radicals being put stifled by people who don''t think it''s time to dump him. It''s quite the opposite.

I will admit to being quite drunk so may withdraw any statement made above ;-)

never mind the danger........

Well said all you guys that have posted on this thread, I echo your views,

I think I will give it a rest now until the board gets a nicer "feel" to it and all the Worthy knockers have finished patting themselves on their backs .

Until that happens cheers, Jim.

is it not more the season than the board, think about thisseason
has just been weird, no form of a run either hideous or good.
It seems everytime we win it''s worthy can get us to the
playoffs, when we lose he should be sacked. The debate is
boring and samey and will be the whole season round.

[quote]Well said all you guys that have posted on this thread, I echo your views, I think I will give it a rest now until the board gets a nicer "feel" to it and all the Worthy knockers have finished patti...[/quote]

Congrats one the 1000th Gorleston - harder to think of many people who have posted with such consistent quality.

Please do not go into exile GJ - you reasoned views are integral to thisboards well being.

OTBC

My reasons for no longer liking Worthy are not related to current form or the fact we have just lost a game, it goes back much further than that, in fact over the last 3 seasons it has steadily built up and been aparent that Worthy is no better than Sven with England.   Give an adequate Manager a decent squad and they will get results by default, but it is obvious that both Managers should and could be getting more out of the players they have.

These are some of the reasons I have gone off Worthy.

1.   His inability to get any 11 players to play more than 45 minutes in any one game.

2.   Lots of injuries from the training ground, make me think his fitness work ethic is too much.

3.   His inability to recognise underperforming players and replace them with decent alternatives   before it is too late - Holt when Safri was fit.  Eddy when Helveg was available.  Flemo when Shackell was waiting in the wings.   The team played better when these three players played regularly towards the end of our Premiership outing, but it was far too late by then.   He is now doing the same with Charlton and also Brennan.

4.   Repeating the doomed diamond.

5.   Bringing on subs for the last 5 minutes when we are losing and players on the pitch are clearly underperforming.

6.  Leaving out decent players because of their work ethic or attitude - McVeigh, Bentley.

7.   Selling Jonson when he wanted to stay, boy could we do with him now.

8.   Letting Helveg get so miserable he had no choice but to leave and then selling Eddy anyway and not replacing either of them with players of any better ability.

9.   Playing Francis week in week out when he knew he wasn''t bothered about Norwich anymore.

10.   Knowing that Francis was going to leave, but not getting a decent replacement lined up.

11.  Buying 3 goal keepers!!!

12.  Spouting the same old drivel in post match interviews week in week out, you are boring Nigel.

13.  Playing players out of position almost weekly, when alternatives are available.

14.   Letting Svensson leave and replacing him with Thorne, Matty would have been awesome but never had a decent run.

15.   Playing Huckerby up front every now and then when we all know that never works.

16.  Not making the team play to Dean Ashton''s strengths.   Whats the point of a £3M, 20 goal a season striker having to chase the ball in wide and midfield positions just to get a touch?

17.   Taking off strikers at half time when we are 4-0 down.

18.   NOT LEARNING FROM HIS MISTAKES.

starting to clutch at straws now, but you get the picture.  I am not a supporter that jumps on the band wagon just because we are losing, this has been building and building for 3 years.

Hey ZLF, I am the poster formerly known as Templeton, but even under my new moniker I very rarely post these days.  I pop in for a look every now and then, but I have been utterly disappointed every time I do - I am not interested in petty name-calling and flaming, so tend not to bother anymore.

Temp/JTR

[quote]Sorry Tumbleweed, this message board is the best and you obviously a, don''t go to any games and b, support Ipswich. Only kidding. Yup, my post per day ratio is dwindling like James Beattie''s goal-to-...[/quote]

Hi Mook

I remember many a debate with you around that time of the Huckerby saga too,we had some right humdingers re the board spending/not spending if I remember. Where is Unimiller, Chicken, Templeton (yes, I have missed him too Zipper), CityAngel, Rainbowchaser, etc etc. I guess though we have more new people on board - and even good old 1st Wiz has returned. 

Tumbleweed, I put on a similar thread to this a couple of weeks back, and while it is tempting to respond, like for like is not the way to go.  We all have varying degrees of how far we go re insults on here, and it is not my way to be personal because we are all discussing NCFC not our own personal lives.  Please stay on board, though!

[quote]Hey ZLF, I am the poster formerly known as Templeton, but even under my new moniker I very rarely post these days. I pop in for a look every now and then, but I have been utterly disappointed every t...[/quote]

And you are a DM fan too - much respect; is charlie or ashton playing the angel?  Followed them since the very early 80s.

Sad to see people switched off by many posters preference for the personal insult - a real indictment of why this board is a pale imitation of itself.

Hopefully we will hear more from you soon.

OTBC 

I think it''s more a case of the football team, rather than this board, losing its magic.

Having said that we''ll be keeping a close eye on insults and I''ll make sure petty insults stay in the playground where they belong.

Good to hear Pete, I am sure we don''t want to make your lives anymore difficult but if you and the others can do a bit here and there then hopefully the Board can get through this difficult spell.