Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Do the fans have the right to chant what they want?

This thought struck me as I was listening to canary call last night.  One of the first callers was Hannah, who had been at the game.  She was appalled that some of the support had chanted "What a load of rubbish" as the players went off at half time.  Did they have the right to do this?  I can understand why the did.

I couldn''t make it last night but am going on Saturday.  I''m paying 25 odd quid for my ticket, 20 odd quid for the train, fiver for a travel card, plus various expeces on the day (food, drink etc).  This is a hell of a lot of money for 90 minutes of potentially depressing football.  The fans at Luton would''ve paid similar amounts for ticket, petrol etc.  I know nobody is forcing me part with my money on Saturday, nobody forces me to have a season ticket.  That''s my decision.  However, if I''m keeping my end of the bargain by going I think I have the right to expect the players to keep their''s by performing.  If they don''t am I within my rights as a paying member to let them know?

Thoughts?

Good morning DD

Or is it? Yes, I was there last night, I admit now, it was my fault for going!!

As to the caller on R Norfolk, yes, there was a lot of booing, and a section of this directed at Worthy.  I still cannot bring myself to boo the players, but equally, now cannot sing NW''s Green and Yellow Army, it was dire, DD, nothing but - we were hopeless, clueless and only a few of them (Hughes, Hendo and Deano, and latterly Jarvis) put anything at all into the game.

I hope you enjoy QPR, I can''t go to this one due to family stuff, but I will be there in spirit - I don''t think booing the team off after a performance like last night''s is either wrong or right, I just can''t do it, but understand that given the first 45 mins it was how a lot of people reacted to a really shocking game.

Yes, last night cost- but I am a seasoned away traveller who accepts the costs to me personally, what I don''t accept is the rising costs to our club and the continued damage being done to our best players, eg Green and Deano.  They are the costs which really matter.

Of course you''ve got a right to chant what you want.

I do hope though, that once you''ve had your fill of spitting bile and vitriol at our own players, you''ll be able to sit back with satisfaction after the game, regarding your own performance as a job well done.

Because let''s face it - if we''re to motivate the team and management, nothing will work better than booing them and telling them they are rubbish...

We live in a land of freedom of speech within some limited legal boundaries - none of which include actively booing an underperforming team.

From what I have read the boos were aimed at the manager with the team being cheered back onto the pitch.   Support and criticism at appropriate times?

When else can fans have their voice heard as a group?

All for it myself - but I do tend to keep my criticism for post match forums.

OTBC

People may have the right, but does it help matters?  No.

It''s at times like this that the fans can make a difference, for better or worse.

We are still in a with a good chance of play offs, so why damage our prospects.

Someone mentioned Ashton, Green etc still being here - less likely to if the team gets booed.

Sure we should cheer but if we clap them off after shipping 4 in a half and generally looking clueless what sort of message does that send out?

We heap praise on them when it is due and start each game firmly behind the team. If we go a goal down we stay behind them, two behind after a comedy moment and we''re still there. Three and it''s wearing a bit thin, four - well do you seriously think the players and manager would have gone in at half time and said "oh, they''re getting on our backs a bit aren''t they? They''re soooooo fickle..."

[quote]Good morning DD Or is it? Yes, I was there last night, I admit now, it was my fault for going!! As to the caller on R Norfolk, yes, there was a lot of booing, and a section of this directed at Wor...[/quote]

Cheers for the summary gazza - like many I succombed to the blind optimism that we would get a result and perhaps under estimated a reasonable Luton team - did our players do the same?

It worries me that only 3/4 player gave their all - worthys strength was getting all 11 players committing all - the fact we are not and admas comments that Worthy has lost some of the players is the most worrying thing to come out of last nights game.

OTBC 

[quote]People may have the right, but does it help matters? No. It''s at times like this that the fans can make a difference, for better or worse. We are still in a with a good chance of play offs, so why...[/quote]

yes i think it can make a positive difference. Protest / chanting contributed to getting rid of Chase, Megson and Hamilton...all of which had a positive affect on the club...as in my opinion so would the removal of Worthy

I was not one to boo last night having never booed my own team but that was the closest I have ever been.  Absolutely clueless, torn apart by a team that was two leagues below us last year and yet in the first half looked like they were two leagues above us.  For any fan that travelled last night they had the right to boo having witnessed the worst half of football I have ever seen from Norwich City.

The boos last night were definately aimed at Worthy - not the team. And it wasn''t just "some" fans - it was well over 75% of the Norwich end.

We pay our money - of course we have a right to boo and chant if the players and manager (who, are being paid vast sums of money to turn out that kind of turgid rubbish) if they''re under performing/not trying.

Last night was an embarrasment. Thrashed by a side that were two divisons below us 6 months ago.

I remember at the infamous Fulham game last season when the team came off 2 - 0 down. On the way into the tunnel and on the way out of the tunnel we gave them the biggest cheer possible to try and encourage them. Norwich went on to lose 6 - 0

I would never boo a Norwich player as I dont think it helps the teams and its wrong to pick on one individual (The only Norwich person iv ever booed at Carroe Road is Robert Chase) but I occasionally boo the team at the end of a match if I think they have not put in the effort.

Does it all make any differance? Probably not. Does it make me feel better? Yes

[quote]This thought struck me as I was listening to canary call last night. One of the first callers was Hannah, who had been at the game. She was appalled that some of the support had chanted "What a load...[/quote]

Yes, If I was a player and was "BOOED!" I would be very upset...

That''s until I collected my £5.000+ a week pay cheque- regardless of my performance...

ON THE FALL CITY! ;~)

A good debate for once on here, with different factions maybe forming.

I have booed and I accept it is wrong.  In my defence I would say reacting instantly to something bad is acceptable but prolonged "planned" booing is wrong within the game.  If people feel that strongly then they should boo after the game as we have done outside the City stand a few times over the years.

Last night to boo them off at halftime was acceptable but it was good and a testament to our fans that they did cheer them back out at the start of the second half. 

I have said on www.carrowroad.net in answer to wiggles that we do boo the likes of Muscatt to try to put him off and make him play badly - surely the same effect happens if we boo our own during the game.

[quote]Good morning DD Or is it? Yes, I was there last night, I admit now, it was my fault for going!! As to the caller on R Norfolk, yes, there was a lot of booing, and a section of this directed at Wor...[/quote]

Thanks for that gazza.  It''s nice to hear a more personal (and honest) much summary.  I have never booed a Norwich player and I don''t intend to start.  However, I think I have the right to let the management know when I''m not pleased.  They are always happy to take the praise, surely they should take the blame as well.

there is a big difference between booing during the match and after or at half-time.

booing during the match is counter-productive especially if aimed at individuals but surely those fans who have to suffer the dross of that first-half have a right to express this. As others have said - without the debating the actual percentage - it was the overhwhelming majority and I doubt that those who did not attend - including the paragons of virtue - could have resisted too had they been there.

Interesting point there Mello...what about those players who are earning considerably more per week than we earn per month and some earn per year!

It''s good to see that Deano has come out and said something but what is going on in the dressing room and at Colney?   I''ve followed City a good many years now and I have to say that this is potentially one of the worst seasons that I''ve experience because we ARE so much better than the performances we''re currently putting in.   We''ve got no right to claim that as an ex-Premiership team (thanks NW) we have a divine right to beat everyone, but it''s the performances that are so mystifying?   What is going on?

Booing your own team is unlikely to have a positive effect as many posters have confirmed and it is very difficult for 25,000 or even sections of the crowd to clearly direct their booing at one or two persons. Consequently the players that have played well or worked hard also feel the full effect of the boos.

If we have another bad performance (God forbid but I guess distinctly possible) how about not doing anything - don''t clap, boo, cheer, mutter - just silence. It might be interesting to see the effect - no supporter will have actively booed any of his team but neither would they have cheered, sending out a powerful message without doing anything wrong.

Or we all just not turn up and go shopping at the new Chapelfield Mall....................no, maybe not.