Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Match report

Well, that was some start to the season. I went down to Blackburn expecting a good competitive match and instead I saw a footballing lesson given by our players. Looked like we would score every time we went up the pitch and Blackburn were completely outplayed. Murphy looked sharp right from the start and with Wes and Naismith causing mayhem he relished the space that caused and he scored a fantastic goal, having had a similar sighter a few minutes earlier. The Norwich end was rocking and then Wes scored a belter shimmying through the helpless defence. It felt at that point as if this was going to be a rout and so it looked, when her another move culminated in Murphy putting in a pinpoint pass to the backpost where Jerome was waiting. I don''t remember a single Blackburn attack on that first half and at 3-0 JR finally got a cheer for being able to have a touch of the ball from a speculative cross.

The second half was a bit more subdued, still on top and Naismith and Wes combining for an excellent 4th goal. Blackburn''s incessant drum beater in their support sounded more like someone nailing the lid of their team''s coffin, but they did somehow get a goal back. It looked as if the goal should have been prevented, Bennett out fought for the ball from a cross, Ruddy seemed to hesitate slightly and the ball crept in the far post.

Make no mistake, we were fantastic, we made Blackburn look second rate and talking to one of their older supporters after the match, he said he had never seen such a good away performance from another club at Ewood.

Heady stuff, good performances all round, a great away day for the fans and an opening day win for the first time in years.

The benchmark has been set. Roll on next Saturday.

Thanks Lakey. 9/10 buddy.

Would have been 10 but there was no mention of Peroni or the weather.....

No Perino for me, the ice cream I had after the match wwas the icing on a super hot day watching a super hot team.😊

A fantastic result however there is a long long way to go so we should enjoy it but not believe we will stroll back to the Premier League. Last season I watched us totally destroy Sunderland at the S of L. 36 games later we were down and they stayed up. There will be set backs for sure this season however today certainly gives us belief that we can realise our hopes for the long season ahead.

Forgot to mention Pritchard who came on late for Wes, looked lively and got involved straight away, taking responsibility for corners and getting stuck in. Plenty to come from him this season.......

Agree with that take on the match Lakey. Just back from the match myself and the memory is fresh of 4 excellent goals. Cannot wait to see the highlights. Jacob''s first more than matched Johnsons two seasons ago. Wes has found a new lease of life...if that was ever possible. His link with an excellent Naismith with Tettey supporting was a highlight. Jerome completed a slick passing move as only he knows how. And the 4th was like a text book practice pass and move, with passes intricate as well as penetrating. Murphy even unlucky to not add a 5th off the post.

Most pleasing aspect was,the desire to close down. Blackburn were simply stuck in their own half. Some momentum was lost when a simple right wing cross came in as Whittaker was undone. Stokes climbed above Bennett I think and Ruddy perhaps could have got down to it. Maybe a tad critical. We were dominant over 80 minutes and looked well up for it. Maybe I have to re think my prediction of 12th to 16th. But on this showing it was the best opening day performance I''ve ever seen and I''m buzzing, just like the usually fantastic away fans I spoke to.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Thanks Lakey. 9/10 buddy.

Would have been 10 but there was no mention of Peroni or the weather.....[/quote]Sat outside the pub and had a couple of jars of golden nectar. Then enjoyed the radio Norfolk commentary.[Y][B][B]Lovely old job, onward and upward[:D]Ta LDC, Great start.

Nice one, LDC.

Just to echo someone on a different MB, this will have done no harm to our chances of attracting transfer targets.

An all round effing brilliant day!

Good report LDC, appreciated. A match finally made in heaven for City on an opening day of a season, going to be a long painful season for Rovers, seem like their fans already knew that, just 11.000 turning up in a 30.000 seat stadium is so poor for a start of a new season. But enough of them.Well done City, thats certainly gone a long way to shake off the hangovers from last season. Thought Alex made a good point in after match interview, saying many teams in this division will have to be broken down, but that he has the players to just that. Wes, Naismith, Pritch, Canos, Maddison, the two Murphys...hes not wrong, cant think any other team in this division has such ability as our guys.Bring on Wednesday next weekend, it should give us a much better idea of our potential this season facing another of the favourites in this division. But right now, a long overdue win on an opening day, and how! Bring in a good striker, or two, and this season could rock.

Didnt even get to see Laffs warm up, lets gets back up asap, i miss the details.

ps...if you were there , did he warm up ok?

Boris wrote the following post at 2016-08-07 1:15 AM:

any idea how bad is Olsson injury?

Hamstring strain apparently, maybe out for a couple of weeks.......will do no harm as the window is still open!!

Most entertaining afternoon. Wes and Murphy standouts with an honourable mention to Jerome. Surprised to hear it''s a hamstring for Olsson, seemed more like an ankle problem. Ruddy not convincing in goal. Can''t remember seeing Ewood so quiet and empty - hopefully, performances like this will encourage an increase in our away support.

How bad did the Olsson injury look, lakedistrictcanary?Sorry to ask, but I can''t find nothing via Pink ''Un reporting or any alternative media, so thought best to get firsthand information from somebody who was actually there [:|]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Most entertaining afternoon. Wes and Murphy standouts with an honourable mention to Jerome. Surprised to hear it''s a hamstring for Olsson, seemed more like an ankle problem. Ruddy not convincing in goal. Can''t remember seeing Ewood so quiet and empty - hopefully, performances like this will encourage an increase in our away support.[/quote]OH! Ignore my previous post and thanks, highlandcanary [Y] Hamstring!Going to have to make a left-back signing a priority I reckon.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Boris wrote the following post at 2016-08-07 1:15 AM:

any idea how bad is Olsson injury?

Hamstring strain apparently, maybe out for a couple of weeks.......will do no harm as the window is still open!![/quote]In the meantime, must start Toffolo ahead of Whittaker [Y]

Pleased to see Naismith heavily involved in our attacking play, we looked much more compact and less stretched so that the attacking lines could actually link for once. Did we take a high defensive line to compress play into their half?

Murphy was brilliant. We really dictated play from start to finish. When I got home I was still feeling the adrenalin. Nice mentioning Pritchard Lakey, I was impressed by him too

The Olsson injury came after a storming run up the field where he was tackled from behind and bundled over - for which he didn''t even get a free kick. Play went on and he went down a couple of minutes later, obviously feeling the effect of that tackle.  It didn''t look much, but shortly after that he went off.   Didn''t look too serious to me, but looking after your assets, whether they are staying or going, seemed to be what was happening.

very confident start for the lads and most of them look really enjoy the match according to pictures.

Still we must stay focused because most of teams should be better than Blackburn.

I read last night they forum and was shocked to see most of them before game predicted 3-4 goals win for us lol.

Seems this is worst Blackburn squad ever!?

Your remark regarding Naismith involved in causing mayhem will be awkward for someone who started a thread slagging him off the other week but i see someone has saved me the bother of bumping it up. He will be great for us in this division that is for sure. Naismith that is.