Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Hoolahan, Naismith, Pritchard

Thought Hoolahan and Naismith were superb yesterday, both looking illustrious and eager to impress, they really set our attacks alight in an away performance that will take some topping this season.

Since Naismith''s arrival, many fans have had suspicions over whether he and Hoolahan could play together effectively. Worries of how accommodating both would always render one out of position have been frequent across the board. But IMO yesterday was a perfect demonstration that these two can not only play in the same team together, but actually complement and thrive off one another.

It reminded me of the attacking performance at home against Liverpool last season where Hoolahan, Naismith and Redmond were electric going forwards. Either one of these three could pop up all over the pitch and look comfortable with possession and intuitive going forwards - and yes I am ignoring the five goals we conceded that day..

Which brings me along to Pritchard, how many, whilst appreciating his ability, saw this as a slightly unnecessary signing? As a third strong competitor challenging for that one single available position? Well, I think yesterday showcased that there are actually three positions available and that Pritchard will be the player to eventually complete this. We''ve now had an insight into what our attacking midfield will look like this season - complete fluidity and versatility going forwards, a narrow, interchangeable three whom are confident with the ball at their feet whilst additionally having suitable flair to fashion out chances. A style of play that also maximises contribution from our full backs and, if we can keep hold of Olsson, how much of a threat will him and Pinto be?

Having been lucky enough to be there yesterday the signing of Pritchard now looks like the final piece of our midfield puzzle. All we need from here is a striker that can compete with Jerome and we will look set for another strong season in the Championship. Very much looking forward to Saturday! OTBC!

Also should add that I thought Jacob Murphy did really well yesterday, great goal and sure he will have more to contribute this season. Just don''t quite see him as a first team regular for us - yet!

Personally think those 3 will start behind the striker. With Canos, the Murphys & Maddison battling those 3. A great 7 forward thinking players battling 3 positions.

Canos & the Murphys offering the width. The way we played yesterday gave Olsson & Pinto the freedom to get forward on the wings.

A couple of new strikers & a left back if Olsson moves on or 1 to back up Olsson, heard us linked to the young left back at Walsall who lots of interest and we will be in a very good position. Brady will move on and offer the funds we need for the strikers.

after that goal murphy keeps his place until his form dips

no changing just because he didnt cost 8 mil others will have to wait

No I don''t think he should be dropped immediately but I do believe Pritchard will be the man who eventually cements his place as a first team regular. Obviously if Murphy continues in the same vein then I''m sure his place in the starting 11 will be secure but I think Pritchard will prove to be the better player.

[quote user="Ali K"]Surely Murphy did enough to keep his place in the starting 11[/quote]If AN drops Murphy for the Wednesday game he will have made his first major mistake of the season.Another potential blunder would be starting Whittaker instead of Toffolo in the event of Olsson being sidelined.In the meantime I''d like our scouts to report back on newly promoted Freiburg duo Nils Petersen & ÇaÄŸlar Söyüncü [:|]

Delighted we got Pritchard, but Murphy has to keep his place. We''ve been waiting seasons to see the twins play and this season has to be their season.

Jacob keeps his place this weekend not because of his goal but because of his overall game, good pace movement & interplay & kept the ball well, and he is more suited to being on the right side more than pritchard, naismith or wessi.

A good full debut and hopefully more to come.

I would hope that we start the same team against Sheffield Wednesday (Olsson permitting.)

If AN starts tinkering at this early stage and with a winning outfit then those little doubts will begin to surface, for me at least.

It''s a long season, but nobody deserved to be ''dropped'' after that display.

The involvement of Pritchard in place of a tiring Wes would seem to be an ideal compromise at the moment, whilst Canos and a.n. other striker should soon be bench-warmers to nadd to the equation.

The trio behind Jerome certainly worked very well against Blackburn, but Wednesday are a very different proposition - I suspect they won''t sit back as much as Blackburn planned to for a start.

AN may feel a different combination of attackers is needed to be most effective - if so then he should ring the changes. I don''t believe in the idea of a "best XI". Different opposition means different combinations are "best".

I can''t say I know a lot about how Wednesday set up, but it might be playing two wide players is better than just one, or it could be playing someone who will come narrower than Jacob is more effective.

I would agree that a consistent defence is important though and I think the back 4 we saw will be the preferred players this season - injuries aside of course.