Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Left back next game

it was intetresting that Robbie Brady travelled with the squad yesterday....so I wouldnt dismiss him staying beyond August 31st completely out of hand.

I dont know how much we''d be asking for him, but you''d have to assume it would be around the £12m mark and I''m not entirely convinced that a Premier League club would pay that?.

Lets be honest, would his performances for us in the 2nd half of last season really warrant a quick passage back to the Premier League over and above any of our other players?

He was part of the side that got relegated, now he should stay and help get us back there.

Whether Olsson goes to West Ham or anyone else or his injury of yesterday rules him out, then hopefully Brady can step in.

Like Pinto at right back ,I wasnt convinced by Brady as a full back in the Premier League ......but imagine these 2 as overlapping full backs in this league !?!?!?

Brady will go, and it will be more than 12mill. Someone will pay the money for him and it will be 15+. Can''t see us spending 8mill on Pritchard to replace Brady if he was staying, I''d think we''re fairly sure he''ll go. Also, if you listen to Alex''s post-match interview yesterday, talking about our attacking options in behind Jerome, Brady is ommitted entirely from that conversation.

You''re also forgetting that Brady is "injured" at the moment. Even if Olsson is out, Brady is pretty unlikely to play a part.

I''d like to see Toffolo given the role if Olsson unfit or leaves this week. If it''s Whittaker starting left back next Saturday then I will think Alex has lost the plot.

Also notice which side the cross came in from for the Blackburn goal. In his post-game comments Alex said he was disappointed with the way Whittaker defended that and that he should have done better to stop that ball coming in.

Not quite sure how the Whittaker apologists keep their little bandwagon going when he proves how utterly crap he is every time he steps on the pitch. Don''t even want to see him playing in his preferred position, let alone see him playing out of position!

surely the "replacement" for Brady in an attacking sense is Hoolahan on the left hand side of the 3 behind a striker....so I''m not sure if Pritchard has been signed as a direct replacement.

as it stands, we havent actually spent any money yet, whether we''re budgeting for the sale for Brady or not.

We got £11m for Redmond....plus whatever we managed to get in for Odjidje-Ofoe and RVW and have spent £8m ?? on Pritchard and £2.5 on Canos.

Agree with that Kickitoff. Brady unlikely to play if active negotiations are ongoing (Everton?). Think Olsson''s injury wasn''t that serious. He was going down a lot to the annoyance of Blackburn fans and then kept trying to continue. It looked like a heel issue perhaps but probably not a torn or damaged hamstring.

I would certainly be disappointed if Harry Toffolo was not chosen ahead of Whittaker. Left back is not the latter''s best position. I have the sense that Toffolo would really want to make a claim for this position as his and is hungry to be classed as a bona five Championship player in his own right, his younger age being no issue. He had a terrific loan at Swindon last year and by all accounts was a popular member of the team contributing plenty.

up until yesterday I was as suspicious as anyone over the Brady "injury" situation........but as I said , why would the club have taken the trouble to have him travel up there as part of the squad, if he was definitely on his way?

Martin was superb there last year when we played Leicester. It''s a shame he''s not back yet as I''d have him over Whittaker at left or right back.

Next week is going to be as hard as they come in this league, so I wouldn''t risk Toffolo, if Olsson''s out then it''ll have to be Whittaker unfortunately.

I used to really like Whitts as a player, seems to have started his decline though after a massive lay off last year, hopefully he''ll eventually get up to speed because his performances so far and in the Hannover game we''re really not good enough!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"] ... I don''t know how much we''d be asking for him, but you''d have to assume it would be around the £12m mark and I''m not entirely convinced that a Premier League club would pay that? ... [/quote]
The last thing I''d heard is we had put a £20 million price tag on him.

GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary wrote the following post at 2016-08-07 1:49 PM:

up until yesterday I was as suspicious as anyone over the Brady "injury" situation........but as I said , why would the club have taken the trouble to have him travel up there as part of the squad, if he was definitely on his way?

Just so happens that Liverpool where Everton hang out is not a million miles away!

And was Brady part of the ''squad''!

If Toffolo isn''t regarded as ready to start at least the odd game at 20 he probably needs a new club and we probably had better look to sign a new left back or even two if Olsson leaves.

- Pritchard is not a replacement for Brady. Brady plays on the left, Pritchard centre or right and only an attacker. More interchangeable with Wes, replacement for Redmond (with Canos).- When Neil talked of attacking options, he was talking about his strikers. Brady is not a striker. - Neil has said Brady is returning to fitness, so you''d expect some involvement in the next game. - Neil in his post-match comments was disappointed with the shape of the defence for the conceded goal. Did not pick out Whittaker. I am no fan of Whittaker but don''t talk bull masquerading as facts. There''s enough of that on the messageboard. It is not a shock to imagine Brady being bought as he is one of our best players but I also think there is a good chance we can keep him. Would you rather go to a lower half prem team and battle against likely relegation again or remain with a team you know well that has a fantastic chance of promotion this season?

Another good result at home v Weds next Saturday, and I can see us keeping hold of either Brady or Olsson, maybe even both (although I concede that''s unlikely). Olsson sent out his first tweets in a couple of months after the game yesterday and seemed very positive re NCFC so who knows what''ll happen there, he certainly didn''t sound like an unhappy player, that''s for sure 👍

Alex - I noticed that myself, he hardly ever tweets ever. He tweeted a very pro Norwich message yesterday and I notice he''s changed his pic to him playing for Norwich. Plus I notice he''s changed his squad number from 23 which he''s had since he joined us to number 3. Why would you bother if you wanted to leave.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"] ... I don''t know how much we''d be asking for him, but you''d have to assume it would be around the £12m mark and I''m not entirely convinced that a Premier League club would pay that? ... [/quote]
The last thing I''d heard is we had put a £20 million price tag on him.
[/quote]
Exactly, and I predict someone will pay it on 31 Aug. And on that same day we will bring in our striker.

If Oksson is unfit I would think you go with Toffolo next game - Whitts is a decent guy to have in the bench as he can play left or right, but wouldn''t be my first choice as starter. I don''t think AN particularly blamed any one player for their goal -it''s not as though Whitts was skinned and made to look stupid, it was an early cross; the defending in the box should have also been better.

- Pritchard can, and has played on the left, and has said he is comfortable in either wide position.

- Sergi Canos and James Maddison are strikers now are they? OK then. I''d have put them down as midfielders myself, albeit attacking ones. Aside from those who played yesterday, Brady was the only one who plays that position who was not mentioned.

- Believe what you like, I''m about as convinced by this injury as Ashton''s infamous injury. I don''t expect him to be involved in the next game.

- No he didn''t. The quote "Yeah, really disappointed because we spoke about denying crosses into the box, so first and foremost the cross came into the box and I think the BODY shape of the defenders could have been a bit better to prevent it." That, to me sounds exactly like he is singling out Whittaker without naming him specifically. It''s not exactly cryptic. When asked about the goal, his response is stating how disappointed he is that we let the cross come in in the first place, and the defender''s body shape could have been better to prevent it.

Your paragraph about keeping Brady doesn''t make much sense. He would obviously rather join a team likely to be battling relegation than remain with a team he knows and has a good chance of promotion. That''s kind of how we signed him in the first place isn''t it? Plus, in all likelihood he won''t be going to someone battling relegation anyway - Everton are the most strongly linked club but could easily see Stoke or someone similar coming in for him.

So rather than "talking bull", I''m making a perfectly reasonable post. If you have formed a different opinion on some of the points, then fine, but don''t accuse me of talking s*** just because you don''t agree with it (especially when you''ve got the quote from Neil demonstrably wrong - it''s on the NCFC youtube channel if you want to check it out again).

[quote user="Sir Blobfish"]- Pritchard is not a replacement for Brady. Brady plays on the left, Pritchard centre or right and only an attacker. More interchangeable with Wes, replacement for Redmond (with Canos).- When Neil talked of attacking options, he was talking about his strikers. Brady is not a striker. - Neil has said Brady is returning to fitness, so you''d expect some involvement in the next game. - Neil in his post-match comments was disappointed with the shape of the defence for the conceded goal. Did not pick out Whittaker. I am no fan of Whittaker but don''t talk bull masquerading as facts. There''s enough of that on the messageboard. It is not a shock to imagine Brady being bought as he is one of our best players but I also think there is a good chance we can keep him. Would you rather go to a lower half prem team and battle against likely relegation again or remain with a team you know well that has a fantastic chance of promotion this season?[/quote]

Well he was quick enough to leave hull when they went down, and they had a decent chance of going back up. So I''d fully expect him to be gone, take the money and we''ve got the funds to pay the inflated rate were going to have to pay for a striker, if there''s any funds left we can go again in Jan

Gotta agree with KIO on this one.Pritchard is more than comfortable on the left, and I will also be amazed if Brady is still here come the end of the transfer window.And just because AN hasn''t directly said "Whittaker was $hit" in regards to the goal, it''s blindingly obvious where he''s laying a large part of the fault, with the remainder surely at JR for such pi$$ poor keeping AGAIN.

Branston Pickle wrote: it''s not as though Whitts was skinned and made to look stupid, it was an early cross; the defending in the box should have also been better.

Actually he was - if you look at the highlights again, Whittaker is covering him, and he just knocks it down the line and whips the cross in, Whittaker doesn''t read it at all. Totally agree, the defending in the box and the keeping from Ruddy was shocking, but can completely understand why Alex would be frustrated that the cross came in, in the first place. I said on another thread a few days ago, I don''t think I''ve ever seen Whittaker stop a cross, he''s just not very good at defending. Any time a winger wants to go past him and put a cross in, they do so at will. He does have some value going forward, but he is so weak defensively that I don''t think that is sufficient.

if we really have put a £20m price tag on Brady''s head and will resolutely not budge from that, then I do see Brady staying here after Aug 31st as I just dont see anything paying that for him.

If someone were to bid say £15 -ish then I think we would certainly be tempted....especially if it is required to fund a new striker.

Whittaker is still a better bet than Toffolo. But maybe we''ll have to learn that the hard way.

Also, yes Whittaker should have done better to stop the cross but I''m sure he would have also come in for a lot more criticism than Pinto has for how easily he was beaten to the header.

The next game against Wednesday may be vastly differnt to the Blackburn game, Rovers players just seemed scared to even try to close down City, look at in comparison to how hard Fulham team battled against Toon. As for LB for next game, i see so many strange  ideas in  fans heads on forums it makes me smile at times. Alex publicly stated  the situation with both Brady and Olsson. He  had a wee chat with Brady, Brady is happy to play for City until such time that a club that meets Citys valuation for him is met, but has had a calf injury so not played. Same scenario with Olsson. Olsson just happens to have an agent who likes to use public media to aid his case, wheres most agents seem to do the murky business of football wheeling / dealing in private.Right now we are covered well for LB, Olsson will be LB next match if fit, Brady and Toffolo are also contenders if Olssons injured. Whitts is a RB / LB cover, not a starter.

Ricky Spanish -

I used to really like Whitts as a player, seems to have started his decline though after a massive lay off last year, hopefully he''ll eventually get up to speed because his performances so far and in the Hannover game we''re really not good enough!

Oh the irony, Whittaker "getting up to speed"

Fantastic!😀

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]if we really have put a £20m price tag on Brady''s head and will resolutely not budge from that, then I do see Brady staying here after Aug 31st as I just dont see anything paying that for him.

If someone were to bid say £15 -ish then I think we would certainly be tempted....especially if it is required to fund a new striker.[/quote]

We dont need to sell Brady to fund a new striker.

By way of an injury update on Olsson and others AN says:

“Graham (Dorrans) was close to being involved. He had a fitness test but couldn’t quite make it. I am hopeful he’ll be ready for this week,” said Neil. “Martin just felt it tighten up just before half-time. Jonny (Howson) the same later on with his ankle as well so those two substitutions were precautionary and with Wes he had done his damage so we brought him off late on.” Russell Martin and Robbie Brady were both in attendance at Ewood Park after returning to training last week.