Sign in to follow this  
Buh

Alex Neil's mojo

It''s back baby, yeah!!

But yeah, anyways....

Last season Alex Neil had to compromise his style of play because of the pressure and the money and the hundreds of millions of pounds of South American strikers but what was pleasing was to see he is straight back to his principles of attacking football and I want to see this continue, even if we get on his back I want him to plough on and have the courage to stay with his principles. I 100% believe he will and I believe, bar the maniac fringe, supporters have got his back. Good to see!

Great to see his attacking style but I also hope that his experience last season will have given him much more depth to his tactical nouse.

He''s always going to be a work in progress- I must say I lost patience with him last season and wouldn''t have been sad to see him let go. However, having decided to keep him I was interested to see how he''d approach this season.

Early signs are very positive- giving the youth a chance, signing exciting, young, attacking players and restoring some of the confidence we lost last season. Fingers crossed by the end of this season my impatience will have been proven to be a complete mistake.

We (the club) made a decision to go for a young manager, who''d stood out in a poorer league.
Sacking him after last season, I''ve always said, would have been a mistake. We''ve just given him his first years experience in the Premier League and for me, his ridiculous win percentage in the Championship indicated there was enough about him (you can say he had a good squad - but other more experienced managers with good squads have struggled in this division) to persevere.
So when people were giving him 10 games this season I thought that was a bit harsh too. I''d rather we build something - and the fact he''s now forming his own team (it takes more than a couple windows in my opinion) and integrating youth, whilst playing attractive attacking football (hopefully) is hopefully testament to that.

@hog

I can see your POV but for me it wasn''t just the fact we went down but HOW we went down that rang a few alarm bells.

The constant chopping and changing of the side, the reactive substitutions and particularly the fact we just didn''t look ''up'' for several key games (Bournemouth, Villa and Palace away all spring to mind) were highly worrying for me. He did get a bit of a pass though as the summer recruitment meant he had one hand tied behind his back to a certain extent.

If we see him with a settled team, good attacking football and integrating the youth then it won''t take long for me to be firmly back in his camp. I''m fickle like that.

Due to the way Norwich structure the club; with the manager having a large amount of control over recruitment and backroom staff etc. Norwich should always be reluctant to change manager as it usually means having to change the coaching staff/recruitment team/numerous players.

The club is crying out for a bit of stability and and overhaul across all backroom departments - the fact they went a whole season without a Head of Recruitment is criminal. (Darnbrough is Chief Scout, a different role).

In the long term Norwich need to take so much responsibility off the manager - this was attempted when Adams was appointed manager but seemingly given up a little bit when Alex Neil came in - as I feel it is the main reason the club has never really managed to push onto the next level.

[quote user="king canary"]He''s always going to be a work in progress- I must say I lost patience with him last season and wouldn''t have been sad to see him let go. However, having decided to keep him I was interested to see how he''d approach this season.

Early signs are very positive- giving the youth a chance, signing exciting, young, attacking players and restoring some of the confidence we lost last season. Fingers crossed by the end of this season my impatience will have been proven to be a complete mistake.[/quote]

Funny how we can all make mistakes on our opinions isnt it KC, especially when those opinions are based on Managers and Players not performing in the Prem.

Different story in the championship isnt it, easy to forget how much of a drop in level it is, and as such how much better said Managers and Players will now perform.

Find it interesting when people say the fans are split on Alex Neil, they weren''t Saturday, sang his name quite a few times, even got him to wave, which doesn''t like doing as he is watching every ball from the edge of that technical area.

Errr, huckerbys boots... We won

What the hell are you doing here?