Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Bamford, 3m

McCormack went for £12 million +, Assombalonga is valued at £10 million+ and Wells is a reputed £8 million so if Bamford is valued at only £3 million what does this tell you? He''s not good enough!

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]McCormack went for £12 million +, Assombalonga is valued at £10 million+ and Wells is a reputed £8 million so if Bamford is valued at only £3 million what does this tell you? He''s not good enough![/quote]It also tells me that the first three players you mentioned are all the most valuable players at their middling Championship clubs, while Bamford is miles down the pecking order at billion-dollar Chelski and they are happy to get rid of him because he''s never going to make the first team. Totally different situation.

Following on from that logic, didnt Chelsea sell a centre back with little experience in English leagues for £8m. ?

Care to reconcile the logic of your argument, Feedthe wolf?

Bamford is lightweight and we should learn the lesson from the Wolf signing.

city need men not boys, hes a flake, lightweight, too easy to injure at championship level, not good enough for premier league, jerome and mbo picked ahead off him last season and they didnt exactly set the world alight, no no no no no no fck no

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Following on from that logic, didnt Chelsea sell a centre back with little experience in English leagues for £8m. ?

Care to reconcile the logic of your argument, Feedthe wolf?

Bamford is lightweight and we should learn the lesson from the Wolf signing.[/quote]I don''t know, did they? Obviously I didn''t factor in every transfer ever made, I was just making a simple comparison between the strikers mentioned in the previous post.I''m simply saying the reason his asking price is so much lower is because he is surplus to requirements at a top Premier League club, rather than the biggest fish in a small Championship pond. If that''s not logical to you then I guess we''ll agree to differ.Besides, I didn''t actually make any comment about how I perceive Bamford as a player, whether I think he''s worth £3m or not, or whether I think we should sign him.

Let''s face it guys this is probably who we will end up with, as I can''t see Britt or Wells coming here!!!.

Personally I think Bamford would be value for money at that price, and with the way we look like we will play this season, he would get goals!!.

But that''s just my own personal opinion 🤔🤔

Given that the going rate for a top Championship striker seems to be in excess of £10 million then if Bamford (17 goals in 2014/15) is available for that sum then we should be in there straight away. That''s a punt well worth taking but I can''t see Chelsea selling him that cheaply.

Alex Neil has studied Bamford at close quarters.

If there is value there - particularly in the context of our stated striker search - then we will move.

If we do not move for Bamford, that will tell you everything you need to know.

Parma

Bamford terrorised us at our place two seasons again when they won 1-0 and rolled around timewasting. That was in a team known for being defensively solid but not prolific up front. If the price is true it has to be a bargain.

Applying the logic that he is not PL class would mean we''d ditch CJ and probably a lot of others in our squad.

Assuming CJ is to be first choice in a 1 man up front formation, spending that amount of money on a back up with proven pedigree at this level seems a good deal to me as there is little point in spending big for a bench warmer.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Bamford terrorised us at our place two seasons again when they won 1-0 and rolled around timewasting. That was in a team known for being defensively solid but not prolific up front. If the price is true it has to be a bargain.

Applying the logic that he is not PL class would mean we''d ditch CJ and probably a lot of others in our squad.

Assuming CJ is to be first choice in a 1 man up front formation, spending that amount of money on a back up with proven pedigree at this level seems a good deal to me as there is little point in spending big for a bench warmer.[/quote]

100% agree. He also has age on his side to improve certain areas in his game.

2 players.Both had great seasons in 2014/15 in the Championship on loan.Both had poor seasons on loan to Premier League clubs in 2015/16.One has been bought by Norwich for £8mil in a position we didn''t really need to fill.One has a price tag of £3mil in a position we desperately need to fill - and we''re not interested??!I don''t get it.

@Ghost

Because players are individuals and there are circumstances that dictate.

Pritchard started the season injured and had half a season on loan to West Brom- a team with a style not exactly suited to a smaller attacking midfield type. By all accounts he was a pleasant and diligent trainer who West Brom opted against using.

Bamford first went to Palace where none of their strikers were scoring but wasn''t given minutes. Once his loan was terminated he lashed out at Palace before turning up at Norwich who ALSO didn''t want to give him minutes on the pitch. There are rumours of an attitude problem and an unearned level of arrogance. Combine this with what we saw from him in the Palace game (completely crumbling under the pressure) and it is does not seem unreasonable for Alex Neil to not fancy bringing him back.

The fact gone from being on the fringe of the Chelsea first team at the beginning of last season to being linked with a £3m move to a team that was in League One last season suggests there might something to the rumours about his attitude/effort in training.

I would be underwhelmed if we signed him. He just does not seem to be AN''s type of player,young yes but hungry no. This fiercely competitive division is not the place for ones for the future or those that are worth a punt as some posters describe various players. A long hard season at some inhospitable places requires those that are up to the job now.

[quote user="iron_stan"]city need men not boys, hes a flake, lightweight, too easy to injure at championship level, not good enough for premier league, jerome and mbo picked ahead off him last season and they didnt exactly set the world alight, no no no no no no fck no[/quote]^Wot he said

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I would be underwhelmed if we signed him. He just does not seem to be AN''s type of player,young yes but hungry no. This fiercely competitive division is not the place for ones for the future or those that are worth a punt as some posters describe various players. A long hard season at some inhospitable places requires those that are up to the job now.[/quote]The flip side to that argument is that he was ''ready'' for this division two years ago when he was at Boro, so we know he does at least have it in him at some level.He had a horrible season last season, but maybe the fact that Chelsea now want rid of him will give him a wake-up call and pour cold water on any potential arrogance. He has to find somewhere to belong again, and can no longer rely on a belief that he has a chance of playing first-team football with Chelsea.He''s a very well-educated and intelligent lad, and if Neil does sign him then it''s because he believes he can get him firing again. Neil has no problem with disciplining wayward characters – I remember that brilliant interview with Bassong at the end of our promotion season, where Neil had said something along the lines of "if you f**k about, I''ll break your balls". If Norwich want Bamford and Bamford wants Norwich, I trust Neil to make it work. And if not, you''ve got to trust Neil''s judgement either way.

@FTW

Yes, it''s pretty tough to argue he isn''t ready for this league- he clearly knows where the goal is.

The question is whether...

A) Neil thinks he can change his apparent attitude

or

B) Whether he thinks what Bamford can bring to the table is worth any aggro.

I guess from the fact we need a striker but don''t seem to be interested suggests not.

I''m not sure his hair is up for Rotherham on a cold, wet, February Tuesday night (and I think AN has probably sussed that).

Apples

It''s as simple as this for me, Patrick Bamford would a NCFC player long before today if it was a deal that was wanted by both parties. Somewhere along the lines, it isn''t.

As I''ve expressed before, I think with our current system it would be hard for any half-decent forward to look good for us this year.

Of course, the better the forward, the more likely a positive return is, but ultimately if we even started using Lafferty I would still expect a good goal haul from him.

That said, I think it''s true in football more often than not that the second time is never as good as the first. And Bamford really, really wasn''t good.

I think Bamford suffered in the same way Pritchard did.

Disjointed seasons playing for teams likely to lose more than they win and always having one eye over their shoulder.

Managers will always favour the clubs own players over loanees. If Norwich had Bamford in from the summer he might have fared better, but for all the players who came in January adjusting quickly was difficult - you could only say the Klose did well, and that was after a few hiccups.

If Norwich have the money, £3m for Bamford could end up being a massive bargain but you wouldn''t want to end up having to compromise on the first choice striker in order to bring him in also.

Personally I feel the club should channel all available funds into getting one A-Grade striker and then look to the loan market for another option. It''s a shame Tammy Abraham has gone to Bristol City as there won''t be many strikers coming to the Championship on loan better than him. Solanke, Isaiah Brown, Donyell Malen or (my personal favourite) Takuma Asano might be good options, but very much unknown quantities at this level.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]I''m not sure his hair is up for Rotherham on a cold, wet, February Tuesday night[/quote]Can''t say as I blame him tbh, Rotherham is a pretty dire place half the time anyway, but guarantee me a cold, wet, Tuesday night in Feb and it''s a recipe for pure misery [:D]

I think the short of the matter is that Alex Neil has had a very good look at Bamford in training and has decided that he is not worth the fee.

The fact that Wigan are the only team that seem to be in for him is quite surprising. I''d be very interested to see how he performs if he does move there.

[quote user="king canary"]@Ghost

Because players are individuals and there are circumstances that dictate.

Pritchard started the season injured and had half a season on loan to West Brom- a team with a style not exactly suited to a smaller attacking midfield type. By all accounts he was a pleasant and diligent trainer who West Brom opted against using.

Bamford first went to Palace where none of their strikers were scoring but wasn''t given minutes. Once his loan was terminated he lashed out at Palace before turning up at Norwich who ALSO didn''t want to give him minutes on the pitch. There are rumours of an attitude problem and an unearned level of arrogance. Combine this with what we saw from him in the Palace game (completely crumbling under the pressure) and it is does not seem unreasonable for Alex Neil to not fancy bringing him back.

The fact gone from being on the fringe of the Chelsea first team at the beginning of last season to being linked with a £3m move to a team that was in League One last season suggests there might something to the rumours about his attitude/effort in training.[/quote][Y]I agree that there must be something in Bamford''s character that has turned Neil off him. I can see no other reason why we - and others - are not in for him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think Bamford suffered in the same way Pritchard did.

Disjointed seasons playing for teams likely to lose more than they win and always having one eye over their shoulder.

Managers will always favour the clubs own players over loanees. If Norwich had Bamford in from the summer he might have fared better, but for all the players who came in January adjusting quickly was difficult - you could only say the Klose did well, and that was after a few hiccups.

If Norwich have the money, £3m for Bamford could end up being a massive bargain but you wouldn''t want to end up having to compromise on the first choice striker in order to bring him in also.

Personally I feel the club should channel all available funds into getting one A-Grade striker and then look to the loan market for another option. It''s a shame Tammy Abraham has gone to Bristol City as there won''t be many strikers coming to the Championship on loan better than him. Solanke, Isaiah Brown, Donyell Malen or (my personal favourite) Takuma Asano might be good options, but very much unknown quantities at this level.[/quote]I too would like to see Takuma Asano here - if not for the only reason that his name perfectly fits the Hakuna Matata song from the Lion King, thus finally giving us a chance to replicate Youssef Safri''s great ''Moroccan all over the world'' ditty.

[quote user="ron obvious"]On the grounds that i''m reading some Haruki Murakami at the mo. I''m taking that as a sign Asano is imminent![/quote]

Yeah, funny thing, sychronicity. The Flintsones were on earlier, made me think Bam Bam is on his way...........mind you, the this Bam Bam looks to have a bit more about him than the footballer......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWR0CfMUZE

One week ago, after we lost out on MC, AN stated in the press he was "confident" another player , maybe two could be signed before the Sheff Wed game.

After "being confident about MC" we are on the eve of the Wed game and it''s gone ominously quiet again

AT 3m you can''t really lose out at this level, unless you can buy from lower divisions. Whilst he may not fit AN''s style/shape, we need "different" types of players and versatility to help change games if they''re not going well. IMO Bamford would give us something different, and showed glimpses when here, although briefly, but then again he hardly got a chance (but maybe that tell a story in itself)