Sign in to follow this  
Irn Bru Canary

Sunderland interested in Naismith

You have to laugh, there''s a whole other thread on why we should get rid of Naismith ??????. He was quality on Saturday along with Wessi, and I for one thing they can play together, and they have the potential to tear teams apart!!.

So I would tell Moyes to do one, unless Naismith is set on moving back to the premier league, then as he''s still got 2 years on his contract stick a silly price on him say £12 mill+😂

That''s a laughable amount. They want him for exactly the same as we paid 6 months ago? Not going to happen. If 12 million or so was the number and we knew, that on top of keeping Brady, the money would be used to sign assombalonga then maybe I''d be ok with this..... But Saturday proved that he can be part of a winning formula and bring out the best in Wes and Jerome with his link up, while I also fancy he''s got about 10 goals in him too.

Our current ability to pass around Championship defenders is superb thanks to Naismith''s quick thinking (& that of his colleagues). Even without a big striker we can seriously damage teams by playing on the deck - as we saw against Blackburn. It would need to be a huge £ bid to prise him away...

Even if we sold Naismith (& Brady) to help raise funds for say Assombalonga, would that really help our promotion campaign? Maybe we could buy a heavyweight striker who scores from 1 yard, however for sheer entertainment seeing 4 well-created away goals from talented ball-players takes some beating!

If we opt for one expensive player, ''Eggs in one basket'' comes to mind too...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Our current ability to pass around Championship defenders is superb thanks to Naismith''s quick thinking (& that of his colleagues). Even without a big striker we can seriously damage teams by playing on the deck - as we saw against Blackburn. It would need to be a huge £ bid to prise him away...[/quote]

Exactly, and it''s gorgeous to watch Norwich play like that.

Has to stay, no question.

Would have to stay and I wouldn''t sell him for the 8m quoted in the media either with the market inflation due to the money that has gone into football he would be worth double, as unproven players from the football league are worth around 10-12m then a proven premiership player has to worth more.

Would we have a choice to keep him?

There were a number of reports, after we signed him, stating that he had a relegation release clause...

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/25/am-naismith-relegation-release-clause-revealed/

IIRC weren''t we trying to sign him last summer but he apparently insisted upon a relegation release clause? Or have I completely made that up? Either way, I can''t imagine Neil would be willingly entering into discussions to sell him, or at least holding out for a decent profit if Naismith has said he wants to go. Maybe there is something in this...

We should snap their hands off. Naismith was an experiment to keep us up that failed. We have plenty of others who are more than capable of filling his boots. Remember he is approaching 30 and much like McCormack will only decrease in value over the coming years, regardless of performances. I can see him going.

Sorry lads but it was publicised under the terms of the contract signed last January he could move if relegated for £6m. Loss of £2m therefore on transfer fee would not have joined if not in contract. Will be going no one except Moyes would have been interested after last seasons performance.

while a release clause was reported I think there was something from the club since to say that no such clause is in place - at one of the forums perhaps? Can anyone else recall

[quote user="pete"]Sorry lads but it was publicised under the terms of the contract signed last January he could move if relegated for £6m. Loss of £2m therefore on transfer fee would not have joined if not in contract. Will be going no one except Moyes would have been interested after last seasons performance.[/quote]
Why is the bid being pondered £8m then? Don''t talk nonsense.

I read last season that Naismith has a relegation release clause in his contract. I believe that it means that if a club bids the same amount we paid for him, we have to allow them to have talks with Naismith in case he would rather play PL football. It is vital that he stays though as I think he would be a key player for us this season as actually an experienced PL player

Here''s a list of my beliefs of why he would stay and why he would go

Stay:

- He said he would stay when we first went down and seems to be happy to be playing at Championship level

- I reckon he knows he''s got a very good chance of having a great season if he stays with us

- Sunderland only just survived last season, so he might see going as a possible risk of getting back to back relegations

- He joined us as he wanted regular first team football which he''s getting, although I reckon he''d still get that at Sunderland

Go:

-As I said he''s an experienced PL player, and Sunderland are a PL team

-Moyes was the manager when Everton signed him from Rangers. Moyes is now the Sunderland manager, so if he moved there would be someone he already knows there

-Although Sunderland only just survived last season I believe that the newly promoted teams of Hull, Burnley and Boro will all struggle this season so he might think that if he went to Sunderland the chances of survival would be greater than relegation

If he does choose to stay with us I reckon he will hand in transfer request at the end of the season if we don''t go straight back up

Well if there''s a clause it has to be met, Naismith might consider a move to Sunderland too much of a risk as they might be relegated this season, so unless a stable mid prem team comes in he might opt to stay here.

Last if he''s not in the squad come Saturday as he has a niggle then there''s a good chance he''s on his way ;-)

My impression was that this was quite a big step for Naismith to take and unless he is unhappy living in the area, I can''t see why he would want to move again so soon. We certainly wouldn''t want to sell him - why on earth would we?  No reason to go and no reason to sell - and bound to be an influential player for us in a great squad and a club that has a real buzz about it at the momemt.

[quote user="lake district canary"]My impression was that this was quite a big step for Naismith to take and unless he is unhappy living in the area, I can''t see why he would want to move again so soon. We certainly wouldn''t want to sell him - why on earth would we?  No reason to go and no reason to sell - and bound to be an influential player for us in a great squad and a club that has a real buzz about it at the momemt.

[/quote]

Spot on Lakey, all very good points - at worst, the fact his wife has only just had a baby fairly recently would probably help our cause re another house move. Fingers crossed, he''ll be staying 👍

thats exactly my thoughts

not many players move after 6 months !

i do not know this as fact but has his agent told northern clubs he is willing to move back as he can not settle here or his missus wants to move ??

i think he would jump at the chance of moving back north old manager / EPL sunderland wages

like others have said if we replace him with younger then no problem and make a few million

Allow me to put you all (except Huckerby''sbooties) Naismith is going nowhere [Y]

[quote user="Jools"]Allow me to put you all (except Huckerby''sbooties) Naismith is going nowhere [Y][/quote]I''ll try that again: Allow me to put you all (except Huckerby''sbooties) out of your misery -- Naismith is going nowhere [Y]