Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Just over two weeks remaining and still no STRIKER

The clock is ticking and the games have started, yet we are still no closer on getting our striker.Clubs around us are snapping up players as our choice of player gets reduced.Are we waiting on the hopeful sale of Brady to fund our next big signing. This could leave egg on our face especially if this happens on deadline day.Fingers crossed it works out what the club are planning, but I won''t be holding my breath.

"You need to stand up all of the dominoes before you can knock them all down......"

Lets not panic just yet, this season''s summer transfer activity has no direct similarity whatsoever to the wasted summer transfer window 12months ago which ultimately resulted in our relegation. The club told us that they have learned their lessons, I''ve read it somewhere, so it must be true.....

[quote user="dibbler"]yet we are still no closer on getting our striker.[/quote]

Seriously man, how the hell do you know that?!?! Some statements 😂😂😂

Don''t worry, they are sitting by the phones waiting for them to ring. When they do let''s hope it is not the local Chinese take alway confirming the lunch order of number 9, egg fried striker.

I don''t know if/how close we are on getting a striker, but have we signed one and who are we being linked with?

Klose to a Striker you say...? Hmm...

Do we have a new Doc in our ranks?!

[quote user="dibbler"]who are we being linked with?[/quote]

In the nicest possible way, does that even matter?

We put in a deal for a striker say £8 million, the club turns it down saying they want £10 million, which we are not prepared to pay. Then as it gets closer to the end of the transfer window it''s the first club to relinquish, action usually happens on or near the last day.

Does Alex Neil read the pinkun forum?

at 13:09 i posted "You need to stand up all of the dominoes before you can knock them all down......"

at AN press conference, 13:35 AN quoted by Paddy Davitt as "AN: ''any1 knows me knows I am never relaxed but I expect us to do biz. Its a bit like a domino effect ax the market.''

The problem is that some supporters do seem to believe every single link to a player as gospel and invariably pull all their hair out in a fit of rage as we ''miss'' out on all of these targets!

Transfer speculation is of course fun for football supporters, but anyone with half a brain won''t be beating their respective clubs over something that''s out of said clubs control! - Rumours folks, it''s just weird!.

Btw, happy for us to be in long negotiations with a quality player that''s harder to prise away than any old striker that would sign the same day and just be happy to be here - it''ll be worth it for the right one. A win tomorrow won''t harm our chances either 👍

[quote user="djc"]Does Alex Neil read the pinkun forum?

at 13:09 i posted "You need to stand up all of the dominoes before you can knock them all down......"

at AN press conference, 13:35 AN quoted by Paddy Davitt as "AN: ''any1 knows me knows I am never relaxed but I expect us to do biz. Its a bit like a domino effect ax the market.''[/quote]

And then went on to say "nothing imminent". It is starting to become concerning.

Well they were suggesting we''d have someone in before the game tomorrow and that hasn''t materialised. Now we''re at ''nothing imminent.''

I''ve got very little trust in our transfer ability after last summer so we''ll see...

''Nothing imminent'' could be, for professional reasons, bending the truth for all we know - we could well be holding positive talks with a player, but after the McCormack business only a week or two ago, I wouldn''t expect Alex to tell the public anyway... An old saying springs to mind, ''Keep your cards close to chest''.

Not bothered, with Murphy, Murphy, Canos, Naismith, Pritchard. Maddison and Wes we can walk it into the net.Strikers, we don`t need no stinkin strikers (obscure film reference for Mel Brookes fans)

Well, having just watched the video of part of today''s press conference, it looks to me like we''re watching a striker in Europe that Alex has himself gone out to look at, judging by the smile on AN''s face I''m guessing there''s something going on there, but he wasn''t going to elaborate, not in a million years!. Just got the impression something promising is going on in the background, Alex certainly seemed dare I say quietly confident judging by those wry smiles and good humour regarding the situation 👍

[quote user="Alex "]Well, having just watched the video of part of today''s press conference, it looks to me like we''re watching a striker in Europe that Alex has himself gone out to look at, judging by the smile on AN''s face I''m guessing there''s something going on there, but he wasn''t going to elaborate, not in a million years!. Just got the impression something promising is going on in the background, Alex certainly seemed dare I say quietly confident judging by those wry smiles and good humour regarding the situation 👍[/quote]

Hopefully he''s more confident than he was when he was confident of getting mcormack over the line

The OP does have a point to an extent.

Since the day we got relegated we all new we had a striker problem with 2 loans going back but 3 months down the line we still haven''t brought one in.

No need to panic just yet but do we also have to be last minute Charlie''s

Innit

[quote user="djc"]"You need to stand up all of the dominoes before you can knock them all down......"

Lets not panic just yet, this season''s summer transfer activity has no direct similarity whatsoever to the wasted summer transfer window 12months ago which ultimately resulted in our relegation. The club told us that they have learned their lessons, I''ve read it somewhere, so it must be true.....[/quote]

Come on, seriously, does Delia ever learn her lessons? She makes the same mistakes over and over; and that is why we need a cleverer owner, not just a richer one.

[quote user="Big Vince"]....and that is why we need a cleverer owner, not just a richer one.[/quote]Yep! If she was cleverer she could be lining her own pockets just like Chase did.......

The prospect of us making a signing from Europe worries me as we have hardly covered ourselves in glory with overseas signings over the last few years. To be honest our options are very limited in the championship. There are 2 possibly 3 to pick from that will make any real difference the top being the lad from Forrest. If we want him we will have to pay £12 to £15m given his age and prospects, Wells from Huddersfield probably slightly cheaper. Whatever may be said yet again we have left it far too late, Mc Cormack has gone and probably was the least attractive for me given the price and his age. We either pay up or shut up or spend £5 to £8m on an unknown from overseas and we have been there before. If we mean business imo it must be assombalonga and we will have to pay through the nose

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The prospect of us making a signing from Europe worries me as we have hardly covered ourselves in glory with overseas signings over the last few years. To be honest our options are very limited in the championship. There are 2 possibly 3 to pick from that will make any real difference the top being the lad from Forrest. If we want him we will have to pay £12 to £15m given his age and prospects, Wells from Huddersfield probably slightly cheaper. Whatever may be said yet again we have left it far too late, Mc Cormack has gone and probably was the least attractive for me given the price and his age. We either pay up or shut up or spend £5 to £8m on an unknown from overseas and we have been there before. If we mean business imo it must be assombalonga and we will have to pay through the nose[/quote]

Canary Boards never, ever pay through the nose. Fact.

''Hardly covered ourselves in glory with overseas signings'' - could be said about a lot of clubs.

Our overseas signings since 2010 (definitely stretching the ''last few years'' quote)

Kamara

Tettey

Garrido

Fer

V.Wolfswinkel

Elmander

Lafferty

Vadis

Pinto

Klose

Mbokani

I make that 7 I''m happy we had/have (however short a time it was for some), 1 that looked good in patches but never found a position to make his own and 3 disasters.

Doesnt concern me we''re looking oversees, the disasters above were nothing to do with the current manager or (hopefully) scouts as were a while ago. There are gems to be found in all leagues, it''s being able to pick the right ones. We can''t be afraid to tap into Europe, we must scour it if need be for the best possible players!

Like i have said all along ( and on another thread )

we now have a head of recruitment

who was head of European recruitment at EPL club

he has contacts / scouts from different leagues who he contacts about players to keep a eye on in many leagues in world football

Expect us to sign a Overseas player this window

i can not tell you anymore than that !!

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The prospect of us making a signing from Europe worries me as we have hardly covered ourselves in glory with overseas signings over the last few years.

To be honest our options are very limited in the championship.[/quote]

Er......... 😳

I think I know what you''re saying buddy, but you think every other club is going to stop buying players from abroad on the back of a failed signing? Didn''t work out with Ricky but as we''d be signing a totally different human being, I think we''d be able to give said striker the benefit of the doubt, as plenty of European etc imports have done rather well here in Blighty 😉