Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Sheffield Wednesday

Really looking forward to this one - Good club, with, in my experience, a decent bunch of supporters and a team that likes to play attractive football - am looking forward to a very competitive match at Carrow Rd for the Sky TV cameras on Saturday evening. I think with home advantage and some real quality in our team then there''s no reason why we can''t make it 2 wins on the trot against likely one of our biggest rivals this season. But it will be tough, their spirit and attacking play is there for all to see, so I don''t think many will underestimate them. How do you folks see this one going? I think we''ll win 2-1 - can''t decide goal scorers though as its too hard to predict, by that I mean I can''t actually remember a time where we''ve had so many players throughout the team capable of popping it in the onion bag, and that''s before we sign another striker or so 👍

As an aside, I wonder, just wonder, if AN''s looking at Forestieri? His name hasn''t been mentioned on here as far as I know but he''s clearly a very capable forward in this division...

[quote user="Move Klose"]Doubtfull as he''s not really a number 9. More of a number 10. We dont need any more of those.[/quote]

Fair comment, Move Klose. You''re right in retrospect - Naismith and either Murphy more than capable of being ''that'' striker, though Forestieri looks impressive, guess I got the idea as there seems to be a lot of talk on here about Nakhi Wells who I believe is about 5''7 from what I''ve read (I know nothing about the player myself), so didn''t think Forestieri maybe completely beyond the realms of possibility.

Personally think Wells would be a great signing as he is a number 9. Has done very well in a poor side for last 3 years. We already wes, Naismith, Pritchard, Maddison who can play that number 10 role.

Not to be under estimated, i think Wednesday are capable of a top two spot this season. Attractive football, a good squad, impressed by their defence when Villa had good spells in their match Sunday. Could easily snatch the 3 points at the Carra if City arent at their best, especially after the euphoria of our win at Blackburn. If our defence has any lapses they have guys who can slice it open.

They looked a very good side. It will be completely different game to Blackburn, a side who can actually defend. Our biggest obstacles might be our own fans, expecting the same result as the first week.

I just couldn''t get over Wednesday''s new kit. Spent half the game thinking I was watching I**wich.

[quote user="King Klose"]They looked a very good side. It will be completely different game to Blackburn, a side who can actually defend. Our biggest obstacles might be our own fans, expecting the same result as the first week.[/quote]

I think where this game maybe won, like many this season, will be in midfield - we''re extremely strong there, and would happily argue it''s the divisions strongest, possibly by some way, when you look through the players there it''s very very impressive - we''ve got promoted with (respectfully) weaker teams than this. Sheff Weds really will be the yardstick for us this season I feel, I think they''re as good opponents as we''re likely to get so Saturday will hopefully tell us a lot. Also get the impression that Villa will do pretty well this season and will be challenging, whereas Newcastle look somewhat nervous, Roberto Di Matteo I sense is building a togetherness at Villa Park - Benitez on the other hand doesn''t appear to have changed anything and looks like he''s got the world on his shoulders, will need to change that soon or those toon fans will start getting restless. Also, watching the Wednesday manager on Sky, was impressed with how he started his interview by wishing all the managers good luck for the season in a very tough competition - thought that was a nice touch and have never seen that before 👍

[quote user="Alex "]........watching the Wednesday manager on Sky, was impressed with how he started his interview by wishing all the managers good luck for the season in a very tough competition - thought that was a nice touch and have never seen that before 👍[/quote]Yes, I like him too.I watched him give an interview during the Play-Offs last year and he gave a really in-depth anaysis of his team and praised the opponents too. A class act.

One thing that we mustn''t overlook is that last Saturday''s result falls into the same template AN experienced during his previous half-season in the Championship – overpowering opponents in away matches due to them playing a more attacking game than they do on the road. Where AN had difficulties before was in breaking down stubborn defences who were drilled to allow no space in behind, defend deep and hit on (occasional) counter-attacks. Will be interesting to see how we approach home games and whether we experience the same problems. Even teams who are pleasing on the eye will know that if they try to outplay us then they run a very severe risk of being overrun, but if we concede an early goal in any home match this season then the likelihood is some very frustrating passages of play while opponents waste time, disrupt the play with petty fouls and still pose a risk on the counter. The Wigan and Middlesbrough 0-1 home games were a perfect examples of that.That said, I feel we should have enough to sneak this one – I''ll say a tense 1-0 victory.

@Feedthewolf

Sorry but what?

Blackburn set up to park the bus on Saturday, they were just rubbish at it. From what they were saying on the radio Blackburn sat deep, surrendered space and had no ambition to attack.

This was not a case of us overpowering an attacking team at home.

[quote user="king canary"]@Feedthewolf

Sorry but what?

Blackburn set up to park the bus on Saturday, they were just rubbish at it. From what they were saying on the radio Blackburn sat deep, surrendered space and had no ambition to attack.

This was not a case of us overpowering an attacking team at home.[/quote]It''s a bit of cause and effect, I guess. They never got started because we never allowed them to, and by the time it was 3-0 they knew they were beaten. I think we forced them onto the back foot by being extremely good. I listened on the radio too, and a most enjoyable afternoon it was too!Even if your theory is correct, it''ll still be interesting to see how we deal with stubborn and well-drilled defences at home. And Blackburn. [:)]

I caught a bit of the Wednesday/Villa game, in-between watching the cricket. Sheff Wed worked hard and competed well - there was one gruesome clash of heads with a lot of blood.

But they were fairly unspectacular going forward. The game itself was a bit of a stalement and lacked quality. Typical opening weekend stuff, you could say.

With a win under their belts they might relax a bit when they visit us next week and show why they did so well last season. Certainly, they should provide a sterner test compared to Blackburn.

Shame about the kick-off time though.

Any predictions for the game folks? Looks like their striker Fletcher will be fit for the game, which is slightly surprising, as the lad certainly took one hell of a knock! That said, you would probably fancy Hooper to start therefore. As I say, tough game, and have had some good banter with a huge family of Owl''s supporters who are on holiday here this week (about 12 of them!) so just confirms what I''ve always though, a thoroughly decent bunch - hopefully we''ll smash the league and they come up alongside us whilst we wave goodbye to the arrogant Newcastle and Villa, they both seriously need some humble pie 👍

[quote user="Alex "]Any predictions for the game folks?[/quote]

Blackburn were just outplayed last week, so I don''t think they were parking the bus - we were just too good for them.  As for Sheffield Wednesday, I think this will be a fascinating contest, as both teams will be thinking they are serious contenders this season, but they may still come with a defensive attitude and so will be harder to break down than Backburn, so I predict a good performance from us, a lot of posession and control of mifdield, but few chances - and a 1-0 win.  If Wednesday are foolish enough to attack us in an open fashion, we''ll see a better game with more goals, but we will be more likely to win - and by a bigger margin.

Norwich 1-2 Wednesday.

Call me a pessimist. But I''ve supported Norwich long enough to know what happens after a week like last week and all the optimism that comes with that. Hope I''m wrong.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]A cagey game during which we''ll struggle to take our chances; a defensive error will hand Wednesday a 1-0 victory.[/quote]Got your fingers crossed for that i bet - miserable scummer

2-2

Dodgy penalty won by them near the end, Foresteri becomes the new Andy Johnson and we all go home horse from booing him.

Will be a good game though I reckon. We''ve got a ref who hasn''t had much Championship experience and has mostly reffed non league. Either he''ll buy Foresteri''s play acting or hopefully won''t want to get the crowd on his back in a big game for him and give us the benefit of the doubt, who knows.

I''ve got a feeling the ref if going to have a big say in this one

I disagree with the theories that attacking us is the wrong approach for the opposition to take and will be delighted if they sit back. We have players at this level that will open teams up if they try and park the bus.

Our achilees heel remains our defence. it wasn''t really tested last week and I have yet to see evidence that we have sorted out our defensive issues against pace on the counter attack or in wider areas where our full backs can be left exposed. I also feel this season we may be a little bit vulnerable at set pieces as we don''t have a huge amount of height in the side. Teams who are strong and quick on the wings plus those well drilled at set pieces are therefore likely to give us the most trouble at this level. Personally if I was an oppo manager I would be targeting Pinto and (if Olsson is out) Whitaker.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]A cagey game during which we''ll struggle to take our chances; a defensive error will hand Wednesday a 1-0 victory.[/quote]

Hopefully (but what is hope anyway)  the world will end at 5 to 3 and we''ll all be saved the misery of watching the above.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]A cagey game during which we''ll struggle to take our chances; a defensive error will hand Wednesday a 1-0 victory.[/quote]

Hopefully (but what is hope anyway)  the world will end at 5 to 3 and we''ll all be saved the misery of watching the above.

[/quote]

KO is 5.30pm btw

I''ve only seen SW recently in the play-offs and I thought they (in fact both teams) were extremely poor and a long way off PL standard. If we can play with the same verve and tempo as we did at Blackburn we will carve them up like Christmas turkeys.