Sign in to follow this  
Donkey dangler

Wells - Huddersfield fans

You are one of those internet trolls I keep hearing about aren''t you HC, you big ball of Scotch misery?

''''All I know DD is we desperately need another striker unless we wish to repeat the failure of last season. ''''...Highland

Is that really ALL that you know?.......maybe so.

Hope not, I don''t believe he has the scope or attributes to play in the Premier League.

For that kind of money we require Premier League potential.

Looking at one of the Huddersfield forums they are saying 10 million with add ons, they can''t believe it and reckon he is worth 3 mill tops.

A player''s performance is influenced by the quality of the players around him. If he does join us he will be in a higher quality squad than the one he is currently a member of.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Its been posted on one of the Huddersfield sites that we have had a bid of £8m + add ons accepted.

Who knows if this is true?[/quote]posted by a random 17 year old so its gotta be true  huh?  Whereas the Huddersfield boss who''s come out and said theyve received no bids for Wells could just be joshing...yea ok.

Crafty Canary:

''''A player''s performance is influenced by the quality of the players around him. If he does join us he will be in a higher quality squad than the one he is currently a member of.''''

Tell that to Bony, Benteke, Carroll, Sterling, Delph, Sinclair, Moses etc...

TBH I would be quite underwhelmed if we sign him, especially at these figures being quoted. There''s better out there I''m sure.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]TBH I would be quite underwhelmed if we sign him, especially at these figures being quoted. There''s better out there I''m sure.[/quote]

Like who? Without using the ''A'' word.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Essjayess, are you incapable of understanding my words:

Who knows if this is true?[/quote]Was not having a dig at you or trying to be smarmy at you Donkey, just pointing out where the rumoured 8mill bid have come from and what the Huddersfield boss has said. You can read  my words and guess yourself who most likely has the more truth i think ;)

In a fee + wages package deal I don''t think we''d get much cheaper without looking abroad or in League 1 really.I''ve not seen a huge amount of Wells so I can''t really comment. Looks quick, can finish although based on Hudd fans conversations he''ll miss some good chances too (still probably bwtter than what we have in that regard). What type of striker is he? He''s done well in a much weaker side, should be able to create him.

He''s definitely well proven at this level, which is what we need right now - we can look again at whether we think he is good enough for the PL if/when we get there. I''d certainly settle for Wells and maybe a possible loan, I guess we wait and see - the window still has 3 weeks to run.

Seen and heard a lot of Nahki Wells over the years as he''s played for clubs local to me. He would be a cracking signing for us

we''be beaten an average blackburn side and suddenly everyone assumes we will be in the prem next season after one game, haha this forum never fails to make me laugh! and do you really think the forrest striker is going to be easy to get? our bids were rejected , he is their main striker and just started the season off with 2 goals, they will want a ludicrous amount of money which remember the mccormack deal, will not happen. take what we can get this lad looks alright

I doubt there are many amongst us who have seen enough of players like Nahki Wells, Britt Assombalonga & the rest to form a proper opinion. The one stand-out player to appear at CR in recent times was Pritchard for Brentford and we''ve just signed him!

I can''t recall any remarkable strikers playing against us in the Championship can you?

I''m like LeedsCanary, I''ve watched him many times. Always far too good for League 1 he got a chance to stay in the area and move up a league with Huddersfield from Bradford. He was (and remains) a big deal for the latter. He was always a nuisance for defenders and got goals from situations that often looked dead. He would always be on the end of something it seemed. He is not, in one sense, exciting, but simply a poacher, with strength and speed. It depends what we want I guess and what Neil / board would be prepared to spend. But you cannot question his goal stats wherever he has been. He is also someone with confidence in himself.

But I just don''t know if we are serious about this or it remains internet rumour.

Asked my brother in law about him as he''s a Bradford fan.

Seems to think he''s one of those who blows hot and cold. He''s not got the best technique but has loads of pace and a good goalscoring instinct. Very one dimensional. Thinks anything £8m and above would be paying above the odds.

I think personally i''d be happy with this one, can imagine he''d be like Earnshaw was for us. He''s also got a habit of playing well in big games a la Simeon Jackson. He offers a different type of striker to Jerome. Yes he''s not probably the best in the division at the moment but he''s got age on his side and wouldn''t be too hard to prize from Huddersfield I don''t think.

I think i''d rather Assombalonga as I feel he''s a more complete player but I think Forest will just bat away any realistic offers for him and I don''t think Britt would kick up enough of a fuss unless it was an established prem side wanting him

Wells could be a good signing, but he''s usually played in a two up front formation. If AN wants to create another option, then that could be fine, but he doesn''t seem to be a natural ''lone striker''. Perhaps playing with Naismith or Wes could work, but it''s hard to be sure. He certainly seems to have the temperament and attitude to fit in well here, as this article suggests:

http://m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/10916913.Bermuda_crazy_for_news_of_Bradford_City_striker_Wells/

If the general aim is to control games through midfield dominance and attack by way of short-passing in and around the penalty area then the lone  striker probably needs speed of thought and movement more than physical presence. Which is not to say we wouldn''t sometimes need a more old-fashioned centre-forward.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]If the general aim is to control games through midfield dominance and attack by way of short-passing in and around the penalty area then the lone  striker probably needs speed of thought and movement more than physical presence. Which is not to say we wouldn''t sometimes need a more old-fashioned centre-forward.[/quote]Spot on, Purple. Cam is a well-balanced striker – decent in every area without being outstanding in any. He''s got a reasonable turn of speed, good strength, average finishing, and good workrate and movement. What we need is a speedy poacher to naturally complement the ground-based passing game that AN is trying to cultivate, as well as a ''big fella'' like Lafferty (but better) for when we need to mix it up and chase a game. Nakhi Wells would be an excellent signing – good to start games more often than not depending on form, but also an excellent option to bring off the bench if we are ahead in games, to exploit gaps in behind the defence when the opposition is pushing forward looking to get back in the game.