Sign in to follow this  
Jools

Versus Bristol City

To be fair Jools whatever team or formation you suggest won''t make a blind bit of difference, and your coaching qualifications count for nothing seeing as THIS IS A FORUM WHERE PEOPLE POST THEIR OPINIONS.

Good for you Jools, it''s good to see someone taking their further education seriously. Never mind the naysayers, you stick with it.

Apples

Interesting, who is playing on the left of the three centre backs and how do we cope with Kodjia when he pulls off wide right and exploits the inevitable space behind Brady when he goes wandering as he always does when playing?

Whatever team we put out I do not want to see Wes wasted out on the right hand side again. Idiotic tactics which massively reduced his impact on Saturday''s game. No coincidence that the two or three times he wandered infield or over to the left he created our only really good chances. Play your best player in his best position. Do not move him to accommodate the less talented Naismith. If you want to play Naismith as well then make him be the one playing out of position.

@Jim

I really don''t get this obsession with Wes being out of positions I''ve seen from so many people. Sure he was on the right but only nominally- the tactics allow him to drift and I saw Naismith, Brady and Murphy all on the right at some point during the game.

Wes didn''t seem restricted by tactics to me- he just didn''t play very well as he kept playing poor passes and making the wrong choices with the ball at his feet. That happens to everyone but I don''t think it is based on where the tactics put him.

Totally agree king canary - Wes was well involved on Saturday but simply had a poor game. I could understand comments about tactics if he was struggling to get on the ball, but I don''t believe this to be the case on Saturday.

I''m a massive Wes fan, and he''s had an exceptional pre-season and opening game, but he''s human and sometimes has bad games like any other top player.

Some fans seem to want to blame the manager/other team mates when Wes has an off-day. Perhaps they just need to accept that he''s occasionally human too.

I think it''ll be much the same team, however, based on James Maddison''s IG account I wouldn''t be surprised if he''s in line for a first competitive outing.

Apparently Neil has just officially ruled out Olsson and Ruddy and thinks it will be two soon for Jacob Murphy and Dorrans. We also have players like Tettey and Wes who sometimes struggle with two games in a week. Based on all this I would play...

McGovern

Pinto, Bennett, Klose, Brady

Mulumbu, Howson

Canos, Naismith, Wes (if he can manage it, Murphy or Madison if not)

Jerome

Bench might look a little light- I''d assume it will be Jones, Bassong, Martin, Thompson, Murphy, Morris, Maddison

This could be an even more frustrating game than Saturday, when Sheffield had their main man not playing and a pretty average Hooper doing nothing. In Kodjia and Abraham, Bristol have potentially the most lethal double act in the Champs, and they get an early goal, it could be a long night.Have no idea what team Alex will put out, he still seems to have no clear formula at home, something that dogged us thru much of last season, in fact im much more positive about City playing away from Carrow Road these days.

I can only assume a double pivot comes from watching too much Max Whitlock yesterday. I''ve never heard of it in 40 years of sitting/standing in various places at CR.

Anyhow my selection is easy. No tinkering please Mr Manager. Just play the same side for a bit and let it gel. Apart from Olsson for Brady if required through injury then keep it the same. Chopping and changing contributed enormously in my view to relegation and I think we just need a firm idea of what the first 11 actually is and let them play.

I would ring the changes after the shambles against Wednesday.
----------------McGovern--------------

Pinto----Bennett----Klose----Brady
-----------------Dorrans------------------

Ja Murph----Hoolahan----Pritchard

----------Jerome-----Morris-----------
Canos
Naismith
Howson
Toffolo
Jones
Martin
Tettey

Hope Jacob and Pritchard are fit - that should give us some interesting options behind the striker.

The majority of complaints about players being played in this or that (wrong) position would simply never be posted if, before firing off, people looked at the individual''s heat map for the game (while also remembering that the opposition can actually exert an influence).

[quote user="king canary"]@Essjayess

How in the hell is supposed to have shown a clear formula at home after one home game?[/quote]Far as im concerned its not just after one home, thats why i included last saeson, in fact to an extent, ever since Alex has been at City. Last time in the Champs our away record was superb, almost equalling our home record, at home we had one or two very noticeable slip ups. Was a time Carrow Road was a fortress, if our away form was poor we  could often rely on home form to see us thru. Sorry but these days  i dont get the feeling the Carra is that fortress anymore, away we have more freedom to express our intent, especially in the Champs.

[quote user="king canary"]@westcoast

Out of interest where can you find heat maps for our games? I''ve looked before but never found them.[/quote] Simplest answer is:https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/England-ChampionshipSelect the appropriate date for the match you''re interested in (top right of the Championship Fixture list), click on the particular match e.g. "Norwich 0:0 Sheffield Wednesday", scroll down to Timeline and click on the Heatmaps tab. Untick the box against the team name, e.g. Norwich, then select the particular player. They get their detailed stats from Opta, but there''s always a slight question mark in my mind over how the site handles the basic stats e.g. to produce WhoScored ratings etc. There''s no reason to think they manipulate the heatmaps though.

Great, thanks. I''ve learnt to avoid the actualy ''WhoScored'' ratings when looking for any insight though- they had Bassong in team of the week after the Liverpool game!

Injured / outRuddy, Olsson, Jacob Murphy, Pritchard, Dorrans, possibly R,Martin.I would like to see a bit more attacking intent...--------Mc GovernPinto---Klose---Bennet---Brady------------MulumbuCanos-------Howson----Maddison-----------Hoolahan-------------JeromeSubs: Jones, Whittaker, Toffolo, Lafferty, Josh Murphy, Bassong, CantwellWhen under pressure Howson/Hoolahan dropping back 1 row, when atacking Hoolahan supporting Jerome, and Howson stepping up to the No.10 role.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]Injured / outRuddy, Olsson, Jacob Murphy, Pritchard, Dorrans, possibly R,Martin.I would like to see a bit more attacking intent...--------Mc GovernPinto---Klose---Bennet---Brady------------MulumbuCanos-------Howson----Maddison-----------Hoolahan-------------JeromeSubs: Jones, Whittaker, Toffolo, Lafferty, Josh Murphy, Bassong, CantwellWhen under pressure Howson/Hoolahan dropping back 1 row, when atacking Hoolahan supporting Jerome, and Howson stepping up to the No.10 role.[/quote]

No Tettey ?

Sense would be the following;

McGovern

Pinto Bennett Klose Toffolo

Tettey Howson

Naismith Hoolahan Brady

Jerome

who I think AN will actually play;

McGovern

Pinto Bennett Klose Brady

Tettey Howson

Murphy Hoolahan Naismith

Jerome

I''d stick as far as possible with the side that''s been playing. P2w1d1l0f3a1 is not too shabby. But if Neil makes changes will he be a tinkerman?

McGovern

Pinto Bennett Klose Brady

Mulumbu Howson

Canos Naismith Josh Murphy

Jerome

I think Hoolahan is our best player, but I have my doubts that AN will play him so frequently considering his age. He used that as a reason last season, but I would like to be proved wrong.

Subs: Jones, Morris, Bassong, Tetty, Maddison, Toffolo