Sign in to follow this  
Jools

Versus Bristol City

Right, at this early stage of the season it''s imperative we remain positive and move on from todays abject performance by focusing on top of the League Bristol -- Olsson & Ruddy are unlikely to feature, so please by all means name your prefered starting eleven and formation - subs as well if you so desire.

[quote user="Jools"]Right, at this early stage of the season it''s imperative we remain positive and move on from todays abject performance by focusing on top of the League Bristol -- Olsson & Ruddy are unlikely to feature, so please by all means name your prefered starting eleven and formation - subs as well if you so desire.

[/quote]

Where''s yours?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jools"]Right, at this early stage of the season it''s imperative we remain positive and move on from todays abject performance by focusing on top of the League Bristol -- Olsson & Ruddy are unlikely to feature, so please by all means name your prefered starting eleven and formation - subs as well if you so desire.

[/quote]

Where''s yours?

[/quote]I have to keep my selection & formation secret in case the Bristol manager is looking in.

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jools"]Right, at this early stage of the season it''s imperative we remain positive and move on from todays abject performance by focusing on top of the League Bristol -- Olsson & Ruddy are unlikely to feature, so please by all means name your prefered starting eleven and formation - subs as well if you so desire.

[/quote]

Where''s yours?

[/quote]I have to keep my selection & formation secret in case the Bristol manager is looking in.[/quote]

Yeah, me too.                  ************* ******  ***** *********** ****** ***** ***** ****               Jerome

The way AN picks teams could haveTurner and Whitts to lead the attack

Canos springs to mind why buy him if you not going to play him.the excuse will be playing catch up

Back line will be Pinto - Bennett- Klose - Brady

then Tettey in front of them

and Jerome will be upfront

Not sure about the rest lol, depends on injuries, Jacob could be back as he was 50/50 today

McGovern

Pinto Bennett Klose Brady

Tettey

Canos Howson Hoolahan

Naismith

Jerome

Will be very surprised if AN varies from this as he often tends to use his squad as a pecking order. Murphy out Canos in.

AN, fielded a 4-2-3-1 against Wednesday, but failed to incorporate the efficiency and the compactness that the double pivot provides - the usage of two holding midfielders in front of the defence is the double pivot that is vital to the effectiveness of said formation.Yesterdays starting line up as a 4-2-3-1 should''ve included Mulumbu alongside Tettey as the other holding midfielder.And inverted wingers should play on their natural sides.

McGovern

Howson Tettey

Naismith Maddison Hoolahan

Jerome

Jones Martin Bassong Mulumbu Murphy Canos Morris

[quote user="Move Klose"]McGovern

Howson Tettey

Naismith Maddison Hoolahan

Jerome

Jones Martin Bassong Mulumbu Murphy Canos Morris[/quote]Which Murphy and why have you got Howson as a holding/defensive midfielder after my previous explanation? [:$]And Maddison to start? Really?If Ruddy, Olsson, Jarvis, Lafferty, Dorrans & Pritchard are all out and provided AN fields the 4-2-3-1 again I suggest the following line-up:McGovernBrady lbTimm Klose cbRyan Bennett cbIvo Pinto rbTettey dmMulumbu dmHoolahan lmcSteven Naismith amcCanos rmcCameron Jerome cf  subs:JonesHowsonMartinBassongJosh MurphyJacob MurphyToffolo

[quote user="Jools"]AN, fielded a 4-2-3-1 against Wednesday, but failed to incorporate the efficiency and the compactness that the double pivot provides - the usage of two holding midfielders in front of the defence is the double pivot that is vital to the effectiveness of said formation.Yesterdays starting line up as a 4-2-3-1 should''ve included Mulumbu alongside Tettey as the other holding midfielder.And inverted wingers should play on their natural sides.[/quote]Re. your reply to Klose, Jools, the above is not so much "an explanation" as an obscure post in need of explanation! What do you mean by saying that AN "failed to incorporate the efficiency and compactness that the double pivot provides" and what difference do you think playing Mulumbu rather than Howson would have made? 

Have to agree Mulumbu for Tettey and I''d drop Niasmith as he & Wes just confused the issue, bring Wes central, play two wider players in Canos & Murphy.

He won''t, it''ll be Whitts at left back with Brady on the wing you watch!

[quote user="Jools"]AN, fielded a 4-2-3-1 against Wednesday, but failed to incorporate the efficiency and the compactness that the double pivot provides - the usage of two holding midfielders in front of the defence is the double pivot that is vital to the effectiveness of said formation.Yesterdays starting line up as a 4-2-3-1 should''ve included Mulumbu alongside Tettey as the other holding midfielder.And inverted wingers should play on their natural sides.[/quote]You are Tom Cavendish and i claim my £5. [;)]

4231 will work for most teams. Stick with the same structure and hope Pritchard and Jacob return soon.

Few teams will be as adept as weds at the packed defence and we were unfortunate to have a restricted choice of subs due to covering ruddy and olsson changes.

No need for mass changes.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Jools"]AN, fielded a 4-2-3-1 against Wednesday, but failed to incorporate the efficiency and the compactness that the double pivot provides - the usage of two holding midfielders in front of the defence is the double pivot that is vital to the effectiveness of said formation.Yesterdays starting line up as a 4-2-3-1 should''ve included Mulumbu alongside Tettey as the other holding midfielder.And inverted wingers should play on their natural sides.[/quote]Re. your reply to Klose, Jools, the above is not so much "an explanation" as an obscure post in need of explanation! What do you mean by saying that AN "failed to incorporate the efficiency and compactness that the double pivot provides" and what difference do you think playing Mulumbu rather than Howson would have made? [/quote]Mulumbu is a more efficient holding midfielder than Howson -- the 4-2-3-1 formation requires the efficiency and compactness that the double pivot provides -- the double pivot is the two holding/defensive midfielders in front of the defence -- Mulumbu is a more efficient holding midfielder than Howson.I''d personally field a 5-3-1-1 formation with attacking wing-backs against Bristol.

I''d suggest Hoolahan had a poor game at the weekend and due to age, won''t start Tuesday. Subject to injuries, I''d play:

McGovern

Pinto Bennett Klose Olsson

Tettey Howson

Canos Naismith Jacob Murphy/Brady

Jerome

Id prefer Jacob Murphy if fit - if Olsson is unfit, push Brady back. Similarly, think Pritchard is up there for a start but would have on bench initially if fit.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]How dare anyone question Jools or not give a full explanation if you don''t agree with whatdo he says ![/quote]Oh I''m sorry, Frank, I guess the fact I''ve recently been accepted for an FA Level 3 Coaching Course does make me a little forthright on the subject of football at times [:|]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Oh you''re the only expert on football on this forum aren''t you Jools ?[/quote]The only thing wrong with that sentence is the question mark at the end there [;)]Seriously though, there''s a handful here who seem to know their stuff [Y]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]A level 3 coaching course, AN must be quaking in his boots[/quote][:D] Very droll, Frank [Y] So you now have three contributions to the thread and still no starting eleven or formation for the Bristol game [:|]

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]And in no way is Jools blowing his own trumpet.[/quote]Well, Daz, it''s considerably difficult to get accepted for Level 3 so yes, something of an achievement I''d say.I see from your avatar you reached the dizzy heights of centre-half in the Norwich & District Sunday League [;)]

How many games has Howson already played as part of this so called ''double pivot'' for us? That''s the position he''s played the most! Do you think AN is going to have some kind of epiphany and realise that he''s been playing Howson wrong all this time?

I agree that the 4-2-3-1 is not ideal for Howson and that he''s better off in a more box to box role, but I also can''t see AN switching to a 4-4-2/diamond to accommodate him. And he''s too good a player to be on the bench.

Besides, Tettey and Mulumbu are similar players. If anything it will be Tettey (and his knees) who gets dropped for Mulumbu to complete the two-fold pivoting motion alongside Howson.

Perhaps it would''ve worked against Sheff Wed but I don''t consider Bristol as strong, plus we are at home again. Seems a bit negative to go for Tettey and Mulumbu together in the twin-leveraging action you so desire.

My team:

----------------McGovern-----------------

--Pinto--Bennett--Klose--Brady------

--------Mulumbu--Howson--(double pivot)

--Ja. Murphy--Naismith--Hoolahan--

-----------------Jerome------------------

double pivot

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]How many games has Howson already played as part of this so called ''double pivot'' for us? That''s the position he''s played the most! Do you think AN is going to have some kind of epiphany and realise that he''s been playing Howson wrong all this time?

I agree that the 4-2-3-1 is not ideal for Howson and that he''s better off in a more box to box role, but I also can''t see AN switching to a 4-4-2/diamond to accommodate him. And he''s too good a player to be on the bench.

Besides, Tettey and Mulumbu are similar players. If anything it will be Tettey (and his knees) who gets dropped for Mulumbu to complete the two-fold pivoting motion alongside Howson.

Perhaps it would''ve worked against Sheff Wed but I don''t consider Bristol as strong, plus we are at home again. Seems a bit negative to go for Tettey and Mulumbu together in the twin-leveraging action you so desire.

My team:

----------------McGovern-----------------

--Pinto--Bennett--Klose--Brady------

--------Mulumbu--Howson--(double pivot)

--Ja. Murphy--Naismith--Hoolahan--

-----------------Jerome------------------

double pivot[/quote]Thank you for contributing, Hank [Y]If you look a little further up the thread you''ll see that I''m not in favour of the 4-2-3-1 and only suggested fielding Mulumbu in place of Howson within said formation because the former is better suited to the role required.You''ll also note that I would personally go with a 5-3-1-1 against Bristol.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Fair enough. Suppose I was thinking more along the lines of what AN is actually likely to field, rather than my own preferred formation.[/quote][Y]My 5-3-1-1:McGovernBennett - cbKlose - sweeperMartin - cb [:O]Brady - lwbPinto - rwbHoolahan - lmTettey - dmcHowson - rmNaismith - amcJerome - fsubs:JonesCanósMulumbuBassongJosh MurphyJacob MurphyTurner

@Jools
You still haven''t explained what you meant by saying that AN "failed to incorporate the efficiency and compactness of the double pivot". All you''ve said is that, having chosen to play 4 2 3 1, AN should have selected Mulumbu rather than Howson alongside Tettey (because Mulumbu is better in that role than Howson). 
Personally I think you are confusing your budding coach''s understanding of formations with Alex Neil''s actual intentions on Saturday. Has AN anywhere said that he set the team up to play 4 2 3 1, with a double defensive pivot?