Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Neil not expecting any incoming striker news imminently

Staggering, just staggering. Hard to think we could exceed last summers ineptitude in the transfer market but we are giving it a go. To let it come down to the last few days of the window would be an utter shambles.

This reminds me of when you wanted to pop all the inflatables at Charlton Jim. 
Just think of your blood pressure....

See how things look at the end of the window but so far it''s pretty uninspiring.

sounds as if we have something on the table for a seasons long loan for Dame N''Doye as a "fallback".

rather than this inevitably happening at 11.45pm on Aug 31st, we may aswell accept that this is as good as we''re likely to get and bring it forward a fortnight....

It''s pretty obvious that we are interested in several targets, but sometimes it''s just a matter of being patient for things to fall into place - the chances are we aren''t at the ''top'' of the chain with the clout we may have had in the PL and there''s not so much we can do to force things. . It does seem in this Window generally that there have to date been many fewer moves of expected players (eg Brady) and we were told by the acting CEO that they expected the ''churn'' to start soon. The main issue is that the stupid Window doesn''t close for over 2 weeks - but equally the PL has only played one game.

If we aren''t strengthened come the end of the month then we have clearly miscalculated, but IMO there''s plenty of time yet and it''s not as though we need an entire squad, there''s just a couple of places to fill.

I can see it now. A last minute loan, and a desperate one at that.

Shambles as other have pointed out. We will get loan players who no one else fancies. Jerome does not need help as AN claims, he needs replacing. One good season in his whole career, proves the point.

What''s the saying used be everyone, lessons have been learnt!

Well that certainly does not seem to apply to NCFC

It is clear that ndoye is the option d solution

A and b have slipped the net, it seems to me

C is proving tricky

Swap the word striker for defender and it really is last summers window all over again

[quote user="GJP"]See how things look at the end of the window but so far it''s pretty uninspiring.[/quote]

and we have already dropped 2 points this season due to lack of Striker options.

We need two strikers IMO, not one. We''ve lost Bamford, Mbokani, RVW and Hooper from the books in the last few months and Lafferty isn''t going to feature. To allow that situation to develop without having at least one incoming player lined up is either staggeringly naive or incompetent.

There is time to get players in but I can''t be the only one who has got no confidence that we will get the top striker we need if we are to be serious promotion challengers, particularly bearing in mind last summer''s disaster.

I''m not a fan of AN and IMO he should have gone last January but never-the-less he does have a calm unflustered personality and hopefully he is looking to take the right long term decision even if it takes a few extra weeks to get there. I bloody hope that is the case because if instead he is actually floundering and we end up with a second rate loan and Jerome to lead the line then it''s going to be a long and disappointing season.

I never boo Hogesar but I must admit I''m getting to be rather apathetic, which is probably worse.

[quote user="djc"][quote user="GJP"]See how things look at the end of the window but so far it''s pretty uninspiring.[/quote]

and we have already dropped 2 points this season due to lack of Striker options.[/quote]
Well, we don''t know that''s the case.

I think we need to start being realistic here. Yes we need at least one striker, but so do so many other teams, including many in the Premiership.

After one game what does Palace need - a couple of new strikers etc. etc.

The truth is that they are like the proverbial Rocking Horse Teeth, and, as someone else said, we are way down the pecking order for attracting new strikers.

Hogesar : Okay, fair point, so we don''t know for definite that this is the case, however, alternative striker options against Sheffield Wednesday would have given more up front in the last 10 or 15 minutes that what we ended up with.

What i cannot understand is, that when watching top teams in the premier league, the players know when to either walk-pass a ball in or when to shoot from outside the 18yard box. Our wonderful passing football style just seems to go with option 1, walking it in. Do our players have reluctance to shoot from distance?

Havent 25% of our goals this season been scored from outside the box? Haha, that may be a bit too small of a sample size to have any real meaning and i do agree we might need to have a pop more often, especially at home.

if we demonstate a genuine threat from outside the box it would draw more defenders out to the ball, thus creating more holes to then pick a pass.

We might also score a few more worldies!

It''s annoying as sh!t that we still haven''t signed a striker, we all feel the same way. But I''m sure the club is doing everything it can within our financial constraints.

our scouting system obviously feels there''s no one worth buying in the lower leagues (I''d disagree, but whatever) so we''re looking at targets who will either take some convincing to come here or their clubs don''t want to let them go.

I think a lot of the frustration here is that the club won''t buy players who aren''t an upgrade on what we have but the fans are tired of many of our players and the same patterns of play we go through every match.

We''d rather we spent a few million (because its not our money) on players who aren''t really an upgrade but have different attributes and would change the dynamic of the team, the club obviously with some of the contracts we''ve handed out and the targets we''ve gone for feel differently...we''ll just have to wait and see if this strategy works, it''s still way too early to panic though, as annoying as this wait is

I''m not panicking but its frustrating, especially as Newcastle have made an unexpectedly poor start and Villa lost as well (although two p*ss easy home games this week will unfortunately get them going). Early points could prove crucial if we can put a little buffer between ourselves and two of our main promotion rivals and we are not giving ourselves the best chance of doing so. Jerome is fine at this level but we need other options, even if they are not "better than what we''ve got."

Straightforward signings would have been concluded before now; maybe something rather ambitious is being attempted behind the scenes...

PS: Let''s hope for some deferred gratification!

Increasingly it''s like this. Most clubs not prepared to sell a decent striker until a replacement is in place or an exorbitant fee paid. most clubs don''t have that many ''extras''. Far more midfielders to get done early along with more risky young loan strikers from big clubs.

There will be a domino effect at some stage,. We just have to be ready to act when it happens.

[quote user="Ali K"]Did we learn anything from last summers'' window?[/quote]At the last NCFSC forum Steve Stone responded to that very question by saying that the club wanted to complete its business before the season started.Probably why he didn''t get the job full time.

I very much agree with what Ricky Spanish has posted above.

We seem to have hit a ceiling when it comes to quality. The determination to sign better players than what we have is tough to reconcile with how much cash we have to burn and attractive a proposition we are to such players.

I just don''t buy this idea that signings strikers is somehow more difficult- more expensive, sure but more difficult?

Lots of other teams in the Championship have managed to strengthen their forward lines already- Villa have McCormack, Newcastle have Gayle, Wednesday have Fletcher. All players that would offer more than Kyle Lafferty or Carlton Morris. This is before you dig down into the lower level teams like Wolves, Birmingham or Barnsley who have looked to the lower leagues/abroad for some lesser known names.

You can dispute whether those players would have been right for us, or whether those teams got good value but what you can''t dispute is that this shortage of strikers has been known since May. Securing a striker should have been priority number one for us this season but instead we''ve spent £10m on two midfielders who have yet to step on the pitch for us (incidentally I''m happy with both those signings) while failing to address the glaring hole in the squad three games into the season. It''s not good enough.

Problem with the domino effect is sometimes it never happens - Dwight Gayle from Palace last summer being a prime example of a club agreeing to a sale, depending on them getting a replacement - but the replacement never coming.

The question is, "would you rather no one, than someone no good?"

I think the club are going about it the right way at the moment, they aren''t blindly panicking and throwing money around, unlike Villa who will buy anyone that moves for whatever the seller demands, but they are seemingly targeting players they feel can add to the club.

A lot of movement will occur towards the end of the window and selling clubs will prefer to do business closer to September when there are a few more desperate teams out there. The flip side is clubs will also become a little more desperate to offload players, and players may accept a "smaller" team than they would ideally prefer. It is worth remembering Jerome was signed for less than £5m right at the end of August as both club and player were more open to terms more favourable to Norwich.

The biggest disappointment for me though is missing out on loaning Tammy Abraham from Chelsea

Why are other clubs not prepared to sell their strikers until a replacement is in place yet we allow ours to all go, with the exception of Jerome, before we have anyone lined up.

It really beggars belief.

You''d hope that we are looking at fringe premier league strikers who will fall further down the pecking order once they have done their transfer business, there are always a few that won''t make the squad and end up being surplus to requirements and then ready for a move be it permanent or loan.

What surprises me is that Bamford hasn''t yet moved on, clearly has no chance at Chelsea and there must be a few Champs clubs wanting him.

I''d give him another go but buy him rather than loan, he tore up the Champs last time with Boro so we know he can do it at this level but did Neil not see enough in him as a person to want to make that choice?!

For what the club are trying to achieve we have two problems. First, lack of money. Second, poor scouting. I think we need to put money into scouting in the hope that this helps over time to alleviate our lack of money.It would make sense to invest in scouting abroad, as a lot of the British players are very poor value and rubbish quality. Investing in (and improving) the youth system is also a sound idea, but that''s another subject.