Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Okay Delia, Let's Be 'avin You

Okay Delia, you were quick to come to the fans with your famous clarion call. You''ve been silent lately while the fans have still turned up at Carrow Road in greater volume than almost every other club in this division, as well as more than a good few clubs in the Premiership. Time for you to step up. 

[quote]Okay Delia, you were quick to come to the fans with your famous clarion call. You''ve been silent lately while the fans have still turned up at Carrow Road in greater volume than almost every other clu...[/quote]

Absolutely spot on

As I''ve said on another thread, the Board seems to be closing its eyes and hoping that the horrid thing will go away.

[quote]You know what she''d say though don''t you YC? "Back Worthington". However, didn''t she want to back Hamilton before he was sacked?[/quote]

There is a difference between what happens publically and behind closed doors.

Publically it is right that the board should fully support the manager - public pressure will not do anything to imporve results.  

Behind the scenes they should be asking questions of worthy about how he will turn it around and agreeing mini targets - just as any underperforming employee would in any decent organisaton.   Mine, as shared here late sept, would have been play off spot by end of Oct - the board need to have decided what their criteria is and constantly review.

But now is the time to be actively managing the situation.

OTBC 

From time to time posters with "inside sources" pop up here with supposed insights on transfer activity. It would be interesting if any urgent meetings have been held recently. Delia and Co must surely see the same things we do

[quote]You know what she''d say though don''t you YC? "Back Worthington". However, didn''t she want to back Hamilton before he was sacked?[/quote]

You''re quite right DD, truth is though that it runs deeper than that.

It was Smith who drove through the decision in the summer of ''98 to appoint Rioch and Hamilton. Rioch I could understand as the guy had a great track record at Millwall, Middlesboro and then particularly at Bolton. Hamilton was very much Smith''s own very personal choice and we had the ridiculous saga of trying to find a manager who would agree to work with a coach appointed (albeit not publicly announced) by the Board! It later transpired and is now pretty common knowledge that a certain S Bruce and J Deehan COULD have been the managerial team at Carrow Road only for Bruce to be told ......''you can''t bring him, we have our own coach in place''. I''ll leave you all to judge who you would rather have had.

I have always believed that Smith and the Chairman at the time a certain B Cooper, then forced Rioch out when he became frustrated at being deprived of funds. Days later in Hamiltons first game in charge we had that bizarre scene of SIX new signings being paraded on the pitch - sudddenly money was no object. Talk about New Labour spin, even Alistair Campbell would have been proud of that! 

I know this sounds like the ultimate sacrilege to actually publicly voice any ''criticism'' of ''our Deals''  and no doubt I will get slaughtered for suggesting this but I always believe in trying to give as objective a view as possible on anyone.

A number of fans voiced concerns that our whole approach to last season was flawed in that our ambitions were set far too low and people like Smith were viewing the thing as a ''bit of a laugh'' - she made that comment in an interview this summer. That plus her infuriating comments last season about ...''little Norwich this'' and ''little Norwich that'', ''who would have thought it, isn''t it wonderful'' etc. etc. only serve to confirm this impression.

Take for example, Munby''s comments after that Fulham debacle. ''I wanted to give Nigel a big hug'' and ''I would like to be able to offer him a job for life'' and you can see how blinkered the Board were in their strategy.

Now of course Smith and her husband have done much great work at Norwich, particularly in terms of generous cash input without which it is highly unlikely we would have got promotion. They also played a significant role in that fateful early summer of ''96 when Chase had finally quit although I remain unconvinced of the truth behind a lot of the stories of ''within 24 hours of liquidation'' etc.

As far as Smith is concerned, lets have a little bit of objectivity in the debate.

Firstly Yankee, we fans were pretty quiet against Milwall on Sat. Some fans of theirs I bumped into on Saturday evening commented as much and they were right. We matched our team for passion and endeavour I''m afraid to say.

The funny thing about this thread though, is that people assume ''the board see the same things we do'' so surely they should act.

They do - they go to the games - but maybe they don''t draw the same conclusions as some on here do. Personally I''d give Worthy all season and some of next. If we don''t go up then that''s a big disappointment... but about as predictable as coming down last season - if you read your Prem history books. After Cardiff we finished 8th. People called for Worthy to go (''taken us as far as he can etc etc). We then went on to get promoted.

I doubt anybody disagrees that things need to change, it''s just that there are different views on how to go about achieving it. And changing the manager is only one option... and in my view not a very good option, albeit the easiest for fans to see.

[quote]From time to time posters with "inside sources" pop up here with supposed insights on transfer activity. It would be interesting if any urgent meetings have been held recently. Delia and Co must surel...[/quote]

My contact tells me that currently nothing is planned - and that the finances of worthys new two year deal make it highly unlikely we will remove him.

The similarities with Sven continues - anyone know if the club secretary is safe!?!

OTBC

[quote]You''re quite right DD, truth is though that it runs deeper than that. It was Smith who drove through the decision in the summer of ''98 to appoint Rioch and Hamilton. Rioch I could understand as the g...[/quote]

Yellow Rider, good post, and I am in total agreement with its content.  Its a refreshing change from the Worthy In/Out ''shake it all about debates''.

Delia was upset when Brian (Blarneymeister) Hamilton was shown the door and made her thoughts public. Mr ''Tin Tin barnet'' Cooper was the "Chairman who travelled from afar" to attend home games, and was payed a substantial salary by the club for whatever? Haven''t seen him around since he was replaced by Roger.

I remember the new signings being paraded shortly after Hamilton''s appointment, and the "Top Quality" that they were............NOT!

Not sacrilege to question Delia either, she is a shrewd and very successful  businesswoman and her heart is definitely in the club, but I think it''s her ''hubby''  Micky Wynn- who deserves most of the credit as he ''got her involved'' in NCFC and he''s a true Canary! We are fortunate to have them on the board, but sometimes Delia needs to keep her comments ''low-key'' concerning noncommercial aspects of the football club- although after witnessing her cringeworthy ''letsbe'' comment, it surprisingly did turn out for the better. Norwich ain''t little either! 25.000 people attending games with a waiting list for tickets, but will it last? maybe about as long as the Barclay/Jarrold Hotel?'' (its going to be the new City Hall apparently!) I also don''t have a problem getting away game tickets; unlike the last 2 seasons, when they were more rare than ''Bigfoot droppings''! If it''s mid-table mediocracy or even relegation? what for the club then? It could happen! 

Watching this years ''Prem'' promoted clubs (Sunderland an exception!) and, seeing the way that they''ve said that they are not there to be spectators- and have got stuck in "Wimbledon style of the 80''s/90''s" fills me with a certain amount of envy. We did have the unlucky/plucky Norwich comments from Hansen, Lawro and ''Co'' but we didn''t go for it and now we are still suffering. If Only!

I think the board and Delia have to take responsibility NOW! and address the current situation while its still in its infant stages- as they do tend to shut the door after the player has gone on a free! No room for sentiment, there''s a lot of money gonna'' be lost if we don''t stop the rot! with a substantial amount of fans to boot! OTBC ;~)

[quote]You''re quite right DD, truth is though that it runs deeper than that. It was Smith who drove through the decision in the summer of ''98 to appoint Rioch and Hamilton. Rioch I could understand as the g...[/quote]

I''ve felt for a long time that one of the strengths of the board is also a weakness...the closeness of the relationship between manager and board whilst positive during good times can be an albatross round the neck in bad...a lesson that should of been learnt after Hamilton (who but for falling on his own sword would have take us down) but apparently hasn''t...worthy does seem unsackable, I hope it doesnt take even worse to come before change occurs.