Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

The new Thierry Henry

Crafty Canary wrote:

Buff Said, I think you''ll find that Southampton bought Redmond before their new manager was appointed. Tilly, I was not criticising the club as I supported the decision to sell him given his overall performances. My point was that had our coaching staff seen that ability in him maybe he might have scored the goals to have kept us up given that Jerome and Mbokani were as fruitful as rotten pears. I do have doubts about the quality of our coaching and hope that Irvine will have a positive impact.

Lappinitup, try reading the second sentence of my post above. I look forward to your explanation of how that is a stick to beat the club with.

Commenting that IMO the coaching at Colney has not been the best is an opinion not a stick and one I am entitled to make. You just love to try and pick a fight don''t you.?

[quote]So he coached the 20 year old top scorer at the 1998 World Cup that Henry won with France? And he thinks the 22 year old Redmond will develop to be as good?[/quote]

Henry was not top scorer at the 98 WC, Suker was. Henry got 3 goals.

That the Southampton manager has said something doesn''t make it true. People in football come up with all sorts of nonsense, such as van der Vaart describing the useless van Wolfswinkel as a complete centre-forward. But in this case the Southampton manager may just be indulging in a bit of wishful thinking because he has lost his two leading goalscorers (Pellé and Mané) from last season and so far they haven''t been replaced.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]But in this case the Southampton manager may just be indulging in a bit of wishful thinking because he has lost his two leading goalscorers (Pellé and Mané) from last season and so far they haven''t been replaced.[/quote]

You seem to be forgetting that Austin was signed in the January 2016 window. If the manager thinks Redmond is a striker then they have their two replacements and dont forget Long.

Unlike us, Southampton have their replacements signed ahead of their sales (Redmond was purchased before their second sale).

Thats how a well managed club is run.

seriously?i saw the thread title, i''d seen the story previously. i thought this would be a complete joke thread, taking the pbut there seem to be people who actually believe this cr@p.sorry redmond who showed flashes of talent whilst here (though mainly with the england u21''s), but never really improved as a player. is now 22. Is apparently similar to thierry henry at the same age (though im sure he''d joined juve by the time he was 21). henry was played (mainly) as a striker at monaco, then a winger at juventus where he never really succeeded, which is why arsenal got him for £12m. was moved to cf by wenger, etc etc. redmond is not a natural finisher, ok he hasnt learnt off bergkamp, but really. the closest post i remember on this thread to reality is the one saying if this is all true then tell southampton russell martin is the new bobby moore.whole story is a joke. move along. move along

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]But in this case the Southampton manager may just be indulging in a bit of wishful thinking because he has lost his two leading goalscorers (Pellé and Mané) from last season and so far they haven''t been replaced.[/quote]

You seem to be forgetting that Austin was signed in the January 2016 window
. If the manager thinks Redmond is a striker then they have their two replacements and dont forget Long.

Unlike us, Southampton have their replacements signed ahead of their sales (Redmond was purchased before their second sale).

Thats how a well managed club is run.[/quote]No. Wasn''t forgetting Austin, or Long. As to whether Southampton months ago signed their replacement for the departed Pellé in particular, we will see in the last fortnight of the transfer window. But my guess is they will sign at least one striker - who will be the real replacement for Pellé - and that Redmond won''t spend much time at all as a all-out striker in the league, and so your notion of great forward-planning will be shown to be fanciful.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]What a sad old man you must be, trying to stir up trouble.[/quote]So, commenting on your latest in a long line of digs at our club is "stirring up trouble" - but "lining the route to Carrow Rd with burning effigies of Delia" is not?People often make reference to "your daft bro" but it seems to me, he''s got an even dafter one......

Masterclasses repeatedly identified that Redmond was a tactical liability at the top level in the wide midfield position.

His lack of positional awareness, particularly when countered, was repeatedly exploited in the Premier (and often in combination with Whittaker in the second tier).

At the top level Redmond can be used as an impact substitute when losing a game (£15m is now the going rate for impact subs it appears), though Masterclasses repeatedly advised that he be coached in the 10 role (and that even as a 9 there might be some use in certain line ups). Certainly within the striking limitations that we had last year, a Hoolahan/Redmond combination at least had weapons that would have given the opposition some reason to adjust for.

It should be observed that none of the above makes him "the next Thierry Henry" and Purple''s observations may also have weight.

Parma

That Southampton manager doesn''t know what he''s talking about, fancy anyone thinking that Redmond could become a striker like Henry. Oh, hang on whose that striker who has just scored Southampton''s equaliser?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]That Southampton manager doesn''t know what he''s talking about, fancy anyone thinking that Redmond could become a striker like Henry. Oh, hang on whose that striker who has just scored Southampton''s equaliser?[/quote]One goal doesn''t make him a striker, let alone the new Thierry Henry. I don''t he could play upfront in a 4-4-2 alongside another striker (which I imagine is what happened today) and quite possibly do well. What is almost certainly fanciful, and what I was questioning, is the Southampton manager''s notion that Redmond could become a leading-the-line centre-forward, taking the weight of the attack by himself.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]what I was questioning, is the Southampton manager''s notion that Redmond could become a leading-the-line centre-forward, taking the weight of the attack by himself.[/quote]Since when did Henry do that???Henry has almost exclusively played with a strike partner, be this Bergkamp, Kanu, Suker, Wiltord, Adebayor or whoever, so whilst Redmond isn''t going to become a "leading-the-line centre-forward", neither was Henry...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]what I was questioning, is the Southampton manager''s notion that Redmond could become a leading-the-line centre-forward, taking the weight of the attack by himself.[/quote]Since when did Henry do that???Henry has almost exclusively played with a strike partner, be this Bergkamp, Kanu, Suker, Wiltord, Adebayor or whoever, so whilst Redmond isn''t going to become a "leading-the-line centre-forward", neither was Henry...[/quote]Later on in his career when Wenger switched Arsenal to 4-5-1. Earlier on, I grant, you he played with another striker, but with some of those players you mention (such as Wiltord) he was more the centre-forward, leading the line, than was the other guy. It is that role that I don''t see Redmond fulfilling, if that was what the Southampton manager meant. And I will send nutty £5 for the PUPs if Southampton don''t sign at least one striker before this transfer window shuts...

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Seems like the organ grinder has given his monkey fresh instructions![/quote]Organ Grinder Smiley

Don''t see the point in beating on about this

We all know his strengths and weaknesses as a player

Just let him get on with it. It''s done.

The prices we are quoted for championship strikers

11 mil for redmond was maybe one of the bargains of this window

never will be a henry no chance but will be a good premiership player

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]You were probably one of those knowledgeable fans who wrote off Harry Kane when he was here on loan. That turned out well.[/quote]Please don''t tell me you thought otherwise during his time here Crafty ?

Try reading my original post Norfolkngood.

1. I''m not saying he''ll be the new Henry, it''s the Southampton manager who has experience of coaching Henry as a young player.

2. Due to point 1 it is non-sensible to suggest I''m ''downgrading'' him to a new Harry Kane.

3. I supported selling Redmond as I didn''t feel he was progressing with us.

4. My post re Kane was making the point that we can be too hasty in writing off young players. I don''t like loaning in young players such as Gibbs from Arsenal and Kane from Spurs because their performances will be up and down and we are helping to develop them for their parent clubs often at our performances expense. If we are going to play youngsters I would rather they be ours.

So I guess you were just taking the opportunity to have a go at the club with the comment below rather than actually agreeing with their view?

"It''s only taken the Southampton coaching system weeks to reach that view. Pity we couldn''t see it. "

And the heading ''The new Thierry Henry'' without quotations or a question mark isn''t your view and you don''t agree with it?

And no, I didn''t see much in Kane in the few games he played