Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

The new Thierry Henry

The new Southampton manager has said that he has been really surprised by Nathan Redmond''s pace and ball skills and that he feels he would make a very good striker. Having coached Henry at Monaco he feels Redmond could become that type of player rather than playing him out wide.

It''s only taken the Southampton coaching system weeks to reach that view. Pity we couldn''t see it.

It''s only a pity if it turns out to be true. Let''s see how he performs in competitive matches first eh?And if he finds it that surprising, who did he think he was buying?

You have missed the opportunity to blame Ed Balls for being responsible for selling him Crafty. [;)]

Both the Murphy''s have a bit of Thierry Henry style about them too, so all is not lost! At high level, conversion from flank to centre doesn''t always work - as Theo Walcott has admitted at Arsenal. Redmond may well prove different; I think he might have been prolific playing there for Norwich...

Neil Adams tried it, he couldn''t get into the game at all and looked ineffective.

Maybe because they''re unlikely to be fighting relegation and have a lot of quality in the same positions he plays they can take the time to coach him into a striker gradually, but we didn''t have that chance. We needed him playing and in his most comfortable position right now as we fought for promotion/relegations.

Being one of our best attacking outlets he had to play most of the time. If he was stuck up front , looked poor and the manager kept playing him there for the sake of his development over getting a result he''d have been ripped apart by the fans.

Talk is great and all that, but until I see him scoring week in week out like Henry I sincerely doubt his ability to be THAT good.

Redmond is technically very good, and Southampton are a team that will help him improve as it suits his play style. A good move all round really, Redmond needs to continue his development if he is going to go on to be a worldbeater. Hopefully our staff were clever enough to put a sell-on clause in the sale...

While he wasn''t great at heading, Henry had height and physicality about him which Redmond doesn''t have. Redmond has terrific feet, arguably the best we''ve had since Ruel Fox but his actual technique is nowhere near the level of Henry and what made him so great. I''m sure he can emulate the success of Mane (they did want him before they turned to Mane) but I can''t see him as Henryesque. The Murphys have more of the great vavavoom mans'' style about them but that''s a hell of a stretch to compare them to him!

Redmond has the ability to be a decent Premier League player for a number of years, although probably as a winger.

We tried him up front a few times and he wasn''t very good at all, but who knows, maybe he''ll develop into one.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Funny, I felt sure this thread was going to be about Jacob Murphy........oh well.....

[/quote]

He might still become OUR Thierry Henry, Lakey 😉

Interestingly, unlike say Redmond, who arguably didn''t seem to overly improve as a player in the last 3 years, the pleasing thing for us is that in the same timeframe, the Murphy''s have been undoubtedly getting better season on season and very much look on the up. OVERALL, their confidence, physical stature and ability was there for all to see in pre season, with Jacob taking that into our first league game. They seem to have shown greater development in the same time frame as Redmond, and consequently, I have higher longterm hopes for the twins in a City shirt 👍

Think Redmond will struggle in the centre at PL level, going to be an interesting journey for him, hope he does well there, Jacob could be the next big thing, more than Josh imo.

Funny thing thing is Gordon, I always thought it was going to be Josh that edged it but not so sure now - either way, I don''t think there''s much in it!

Buff Said, I think you''ll find that Southampton bought Redmond before their new manager was appointed.

Tilly, I was not criticising the club as I supported the decision to sell him given his overall performances. My point was that had our coaching staff seen that ability in him maybe he might have scored the goals to have kept us up given that Jerome and Mbokani were as fruitful as rotten pears.

I do have doubts about the quality of our coaching and hope that Irvine will have a positive impact.

LOL - ridiculous suggestion but at least it gives the pond life the opportunity to have a go at the club when they''ve run out of other opportunities

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]It''s only taken the Southampton coaching system weeks to reach that view. Pity we couldn''t see it.[/quote]I can''t recall you starting a thread suggesting we play him as a striker Crafty.Couldn''t you see it either? [:^)]

Mbokani wasn''t a ''rotten pear'' - reckon in a team where he''d have got several good chances a game then he''d have no problem hitting 20 in a season, thought he had really great technique and ability, very skilful.

Comparing Henry to Redmond is ridiculous. Playing Redmond at CF? He may score some goals but I doubt he''ll win the Golden Boot half a dozen times or end up with the best goals per game ratio of any regular EPL CF. Henry was probably the best CF I''ve ever seen and Redders is only fit to polish his boots.

We''ll Neil Adams certainly saw that potential. Good coach and football brain. Alex Neil did too but prefered to use him as part of an attacking three.

I hope Redmond goes from strength to strength carrying on up to a top club and the full England team. Proud that he made part of that progression with us.

It wasn''t pace and ball skills that made Thierry Henry the great striker that he was, it was those allied to intelligence, razor sharp awareness and a football brain. Theo Walcott has pace, skill and potential as a central striker but hasn''t got it mentally and is no better now than he was at Redmond''s age. I''m yet to be convinced that Redmond has it either.By the way Crafty, Hughton sometimes played Redmond centrally even when both were at Birmingham, and both Neil Adams and Alex Neil did try that option on occasion. So to say our coaches hadn''t identified his potential in that position is simply untrue.

The Southampton manager coached Henry before he joined Arsenal and developed into the player we all know. His comparison is between that Henry and the current Redmond. He isn''t comparing Redmond with the later Henry. He believes Redmond has what it takes to develop to that level. That doesn''t seem ridiculous to me although whether he does is something we''ll find out over time.

Lappinitup it up wrote: .......Couldn''t you see it either?

I''m not a highly paid, UEFA Pro Licenced coach so the comparison is an asinine one. No surprise there.

Is Crafty Canary the new Grefstad...we''ll need to keep an eye on Redmond''s running stats just in case.

Apples

CC wrote "The Southampton manager coached Henry before he joined Arsenal and developed into the player we all know. His comparison is between that Henry and the current Redmond. He isn''t comparing Redmond with the later Henry"

So he coached the 20 year old top scorer at the 1998 World Cup that Henry won with France? And he thinks the 22 year old Redmond will develop to be as good?

We''ll see but sounds like he''s just trying to big up his CV to me that he coached Terry H

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Lappinitup it up wrote: .......Couldn''t you see it either?

I''m not a highly paid, UEFA Pro Licenced coach so the comparison is an asinine one. No surprise there.[/quote]But you can use the words of another clubs manager as a stick to beat our own club with. No surprise there either......

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Buff Said, I think you''ll find that Southampton bought Redmond before their new manager was appointed.

Tilly, I was not criticising the club as I supported the decision to sell him given his overall performances. My point was that had our coaching staff seen that ability in him maybe he might have scored the goals to have kept us up given that Jerome and Mbokani were as fruitful as rotten pears.

I do have doubts about the quality of our coaching and hope that Irvine will have a positive impact.[/quote]Thanks for the compliment!I''m a fully paid up, happy clapping Percy Positive, but if I were to admit to ever having doubts, they would be around the quality of our coaching and whether we are able to really get the best of the potential in our players, especially the younger ones who aren''t fully developed. So it will be interesting to see what happens to Redmond now he is somewhere that has a reputation for bringing young players on. As you say, appointing Irvine promises to be a step forward.

Can someone call southampton

we have the next Bobby Moore here Russell martin is his name

And while you are on the phone just as its you are nice mr southampton

we have the next Alan shearer

this boy will be big in the EPL goal scoring machine Cameron Jerome

now as its you you can have these players for 20 million each ok ?