Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

MATCH THREAD - NORWICH VS SCUM

Abysmal performance if thats all we have we can forget about promotion , never look like scoring when we go forward , balls hit aimlessly into parts of the pitch with no Norwich player in sight and a manager who was going to be fearless scared shitless to attack one of the poorest teams in the division .

We were generally poor and they played well by their standards making for an even game and could''ve gone either way. An away point is OK especially from this fixture.

Naismith didn''t contribute really, I can see him losing his place. Klose poor by his standards, hopefully he''ll realise he needs to work every bit as hard in the Champs as in the Prem.

"If David Moyes is prepared to pay the £8m we spent on Naismith, we should bite their arm off. Sadly, it''s one of those signings that hasn''t worked out and shows no sign of changing.

AN can''t keep justifying his selection.2

Agree with that.

He''s never done it for me. Flatters to deceive but never achieves much except for that nuisance value. But then, I was brought up with the likes of Charlie Boyer as number 10.

It''s either him or Hoolahan and for me it''s Wes.

Considering no Olsson, Pritchard or favoured striker option (when we sign one), as well as the forced Pinto substitution; who looked an outlet in the first half, a point is a good result. Such a shame we conceded when we did as we were well on top after our goal. Didn''t deserve to win really overall but don''t understand some of the OTT reactions on here. What greedy fans we have.

Naismith has done absolutely nothing since joining, surely there''s only so long we can persist with him? AN does seem a fairly stubborn guy, which worries me!

Re team selection, with so many injured players that is exactly the 11 I would have started. Murphy still seems weak to me, Canos just seems stronger in the tackle and IMO should have come on first. Would have settled for a point beforehand.

Ho-hum.  Nicely worked opening goal. But it''s poor play to concede seconds before half time. Howson caught daydreaming. Our midfield still looks off. We can''t rely solely on the fullbacks for width.  Things looked a bit more dynamic once Murphy came on to provide a bit of pace and forward movement.Wes and Naismith again too often doing the same thing. Both dropping deep and looking for runners, when one of them should be pushing forward. Jerome frequently left isolated as a result.

People were talking about Naismith scoring a hatful of goals in this division. A useful player, but a waste of money at £8m.We got a point, but for me it''s back to the drawing board. We''re wasting too much on transfers, and despite changing our coach the football looks no better than under Holt.

I can''t believe some of the comments.

Naismith involved with another goal today.... I''d say he''s made quite an effective start.

Many need to drop this delusional expectation that we should be hammering teams weak in weak out. It ain''t gona happen.

We do need to make at least two more signings, and if we don''t make that happen then sure be concerned. But at this moment in time, unbeaten and players to come back from injury, I''m more than content with the start, as should many more Norwich fans.

Let''s see what this week brings.

No Naismith was told to leave the ball or we''d never had scored!

Wes has to be given Naismith position on his own with two wide players, by playing them both teams can just compact the middle and kill our game. We need to stretch teams allowing space for Wes.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I can''t believe some of the comments.

Naismith involved with another goal today.... I''d say he''s made quite an effective start.

Many need to drop this delusional expectation that we should be hammering teams weak in weak out. [/quote]
I''m with you, though your spelling is weak!

I agree with all those pointing out we need Wes central and that him and Naismith so close together is not working that well.

Our manager also once again demonstrates his uncanny ability to make us worse with a well timed second half substitution.

All in all pretty poor. A good 20 mins after the goal and had we seen it out to half time may have been different but the second half was underwhelming. Klose was very poor by his standards today.

[quote user="ricardo"]Noisy did Ok. Obviously the new scapegoat.[/quote]
Yeah I though he was solid today, an improved performance actually. 
Don''t get how people saw us as being terrible. The game faded second half but that was because of the high tempo from the first. By no means did we play badly.

For £8m we could have expected a bit more than okay or solid. It''s hardly Naismith''s fault, hence he''s not a scapegoat.

Wes and Naismith are both good players at this level, but more often than not  playing them together just does not produce  the right result, Alex really needs to see this. Very average today, we have a squad who can win this division, but already  more than enough injuries, some poor  team formations / player selections from Alex and once again lack of signing a permanent striker convinces me that 8th to 12th is where we are headed.

We were the classier side today by far yet they were always more of an attacking threat.

We seem to have such limited scoring options and I cannot accept that so much of the weight of these options lies upon the ample shoulders of Jerome.

Did any of Hoolahan, Naismith or Howson muster one dangerous attempt on target all game? We had enough decent attacks after all.

Whitts managed that and was unlucky to hit the post.

Width and purpose, not hit and miss tip tipping the ball around and eventually to an opposition defender please Mr. Neill.

No way we will finish 8-12th but top two should be the aim and for that we need to be far more clinical and incisive in the final third. Need more variety in the three behind Jerome and at least one of them needs to have pace and stay wide.

with some luck we can win easy today but otherwise we not deserved 3 pts and struggle in big parts.

at paper too much quality on our team but on real we have some names not happy to be in this division so they are not on 100% every game...

Brady,Klose,Olsson,Naismith etc

lets market be closed add 2 more players back some from injury list and must AN work on team concentration and fate because we was a bit more casual for derby game today...

Poor from both sides

A defensive lapse from us gave them a point

Glad we got a point from poor play and we can just move on with the season

We weren''t at our best today thats for sure but its a point away so not to be scoffed at

Just got back. Both teams lacked quality today, them because they don''t have any (possibly aside from Ward) and us because we were off the boil.

Wes looked the best player in the pitch by a country mile. Was a real shame that Pinto had to go off, as we were really causing problems down that side.

Thought Naismith did a whole lot of nothing. Moaning and falling over far too much for my liking.

A mate of mine asked why we hadn''t spent the Redmond money, I suggested it will probably go towards a striker. He asked where that striker was..

[quote user="Diane"]We weren''t at our best today thats for sure but its a point away so not to be scoffed at[/quote]
Despite initial disappointment with the performance, I think this is spot on, a good away point and we stay unbeaten.

After the initial 10-15 minutes, Norwich exerted complete control of the first-half of the match ( other than Murphy having Klose completely in his pocket).

Despite the dominance, the second goal never really looked like coming, and conceding the sloppy goal with some poor covering at the far post, couldn''t have come at a worse time.

Despite Ipswich coming out for the second-half reinvigorated, the match became bereft of any quality, with the final result certainly more satisfying for Ipswich supporters than for Norwich''s.

[quote user="unique"]After the initial 10-15 minutes, Norwich exerted complete control of the first-half of the match ( other than Murphy having Klose completely in his pocket).

Despite the dominance, the second goal never really looked like coming, and conceding the sloppy goal with some poor covering at the far post, couldn''t have come at a worse time.

Despite Ipswich coming out for the second-half reinvigorated, the match became bereft of any quality, with the final result certainly more satisfying for Ipswich supporters than for Norwich''s.[/quote]The above pretty well sums it up imo.  I do wish Naismith would spend more time on his feet, than rolling about on the grass.

It''s an away point and continues our unbeaten run so in that sense not a bad result, but for me the performance was the real cause for concern. As usual Wes looked like the only player we have that can make something happen with Naismith again doing a lot of huffing and puffing and not much else. Is Jerome carrying an injury? He took his goal well but other than that he seemed a yard off the pace all game. Klose didn''t have his best game either and on a couple of occasions looked like an oil tanker trying to turn after Murphy who isn''t exactly the quickest either.
For the positives I thought Mulumbu had probably his best game for us and Pinto looked a threat in the first half, but for most of the game we lacked any kind of pace, width or creativity going forward.
The real worry for me was how easily Ipswich were able to shut us down. Yes they are direct, physical and well organised, but then so are most of the teams in this division and it''s going to be a long tough season if we can''t do more to break these teams down.
I''d have Pritchard (when fit) or Jacob in for Naismith who is sadly looking more and more like a Poundland Robert Snodgrass every game.