Sign in to follow this  
Kingston Yellow

Chris Sutton Hits the Nail on the Head

I haven''t bought into the ''little old Norwich'' thing at all. I''m just realistic as to what we have in the bank, who our owners are and what we have to offer. I love our club, our ground and what we stand for. We aren''t a risk taking club and I''m glad. We will do well this season but still you unrealistic whiney negative nancy''s will do your best to make whatever we do achieve seem not enough cause you always wanted more. The quicker those nancy''s realise we just aren''t the big business they want us to be the better.

AN knows the budget so what is he moaning for ?

if he things he is billy big boots all a sudden then sorry but bye bye

if we have a set budget it is his job to stick to it buy players within it and coach the players

if he is going for players we can not afford he can not blame the board he should stick within the budget

alot of managers would get more out of the players AN is getting at the moment

they would set up a winning system pluck players from lower leagues and coach them gel them in a team

AN is no Paul lambert ( of norwich ) yet and he should remember that

Agree with Sutton. Want Naismith shipped out for close to or exactly what we paid for him. Pritchard starting in his place, and Maddison coming on off the bench. If we are determined to play and look like a championship side with supposed Prem players, I''d rather we went with our promising youth and shipped out the staleness, consolidated and pushed with the next generation. Today was disjointed and so frustrating to watch.

In financial terms we are not in the big league. Having wasted some £20 million on the likes of RVW, Naismith, Jarvis etc it is a very brave person to pay out another £10 million which could easily go down the drain. I am fairly sure the plans are that we will only take another huge risk from the proceeds of a Brady sale if it takes place. I also thought it was evident today that the young unknown Ipswich players were more hungry than our rather casual experienced players. What has happened to Neil on the touchline these days. Does not seem much in to motivating.

Dont know why people have a problem with him. He wants the club to do well but tells the brutal truth even if many do not like to hear it eg in commentary yesterday, Naismith poor and lost a yard of pace, Board has not backed the manager, Hoolahan the star player but he is 34, Ipswich probably deserved to win the game cannot disagree with much or indeed any of that

I expect the board isn''t backing Neil as he has spent a fortune already when compared to our previous managers. Neil only has himself to blame that he has signed a silly amount of midfielders whilst selling and not replacing any of our forwards! They would''ve given him a budget and I expect he''s already blown most of it.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]Chris Sutton is a miserable c*nt - hardly ever has a good word to say about Norwich - when it comes to radio commentary he''s as bad as Danny Mills - never known so many chips on shoulders as those two.[/quote]

What do you expect? He wants to see the club do well, but can also see that the Board is chronically unambitious.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]although we''ve hopefully got a decent player on our hands in Pritchard when he comes back........I don hope the reported £8m we''be blown on him isn''t hampering our chances in signing new strikers??[/quote]

Yes, yes, yes. That is precisely what happened. It was a jerk knee reaction to losing out on McCormack to Chinese money. Now we have to sell to buy but nobody is going to offer £20 million for Brady because he''s not worth it.

Moreover, we spend £8 million on another midfielder so where does that leave Maddison? Do we need both? Can anyone spot any joined up thinking here? Are the people who run the club just plain dumb?

When Neil took over our midfield was arguably the strongest part of our squad however he has since signed:

Pritchard, Canos, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Brady, Jarvis, Godfrey, Naismith, Madison, Andreu and probably a couple more I can''t remember. Where is he not being backed by the board?

More like poor use of the significant backing he has had I''d say!

Yes, but AN only needs one striker whereas, if yesterday''s starting line-up is anything to go by, he needs five midfielders and not a single one a wide player by nature.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Yes, but AN only needs one striker whereas, if yesterday''s starting line-up is anything to go by, he needs five midfielders and not a single one a wide player by nature.[/quote]

That''s pretty negative set up, I know he likes to set up one up top, but surely we don''t need two holding midfielders in this league?

Two wingers would be nice to see.

If we are setting up with attacking/overlapping fullbacks ( Brady/ Olsson/Pinto) who are actively encouraged to join in attacks, then wingers are pretty much superfluous.

If we are to play with wingers, then the fullbacks will just have to sit back and defend.

There is little point in having both options at the same time.

If we''re playing 5 midfield why do we want to have attacking fullbacks?

Surely if we play with attacking fullbacks then it''s better to set up with 3 CB, 2 holding midfielders and two attackers in the box?

I''m not sure AN knows which system we are playing as all I see is we sit deep and try to play tippytappy football through the centre.

you can play wingers with attacking fullbacks !!

fullbacks can overlap meaning 2 players attacking one fullback

Baines Evra and others have all done it for years

I don''t actually agree with that.

Defenders have to defend and when doing that need an outlet, often a wide attacker, when releasing the ball.

It is asking a bit much for even the likes of Brady to be a competent defender and formulate attacking danger at the same time.

A player continually sitting wide stretches defences. Attacking wing-backs cannot perform this role.

Having said that I feel our best formation has Olsson as full-back with Brady as the wide mid-fielder.

Every team needs a wide mid-fielder. Yesterday they exposed the fact that we suffered from the "midfield constipation" effect in the middle of the park. McCarthy''s sides are experts at killing a game in that area and as a consequence had us on their hook for the first quarter.

AN was over-defensive. They were not Sheffield Wednesday and not as well drilled in order to thwart a sides attacking instincts. When he applied the laxative it was far too late.

I was replying to Mr. Unique''s view.

This frigging forum where even quoting becomes a sodding problem for most of us.

And no! I am not changing my browser on this Chromebook. Everything else works fine.

i agree broadstairs

bill punton told me once if a winger stands wide and does not go anywhere if he is good enough he can dictate what a fullback who is marking him does in a game

if he is very fast the fullback will not push forward due to being caught up field

like you said a winger is perfect outlet for a fullback as last thing is to pass ball into middle of pitch winger gives and goes or holds it up and fullback overlaps many teams use that tactic and to be fair Norwich in the 1980''s/90''s were very good at it

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i agree broadstairs

bill punton told me once if a winger stands wide and does not go anywhere if he is good enough he can dictate what a fullback who is marking him does in a game

if he is very fast the fullback will not push forward due to being caught up field

like you said a winger is perfect outlet for a fullback as last thing is to pass ball into middle of pitch winger gives and goes or holds it up and fullback overlaps many teams use that tactic and to be fair Norwich in the 1980''s/90''s were very good at it[/quote]

Okay so bring back Mr Chase and everything will fall nicely back into place including visit to San Siro......

Pinto provided the width and pass from a winger''s position for City''s goal.

Whittaker provided more attacking threat than any other player in the second-half.

We don''t need wingers if the full-backs are under instruction to get forward and overlap.

If we play wingers then there is little need for the full-backs to pass the half-way line.