Sign in to follow this  
The Dog

Is Alex Neil getting the most out of the squad he has available to him?

I''m interested to hear whether other fans think, regardless of lack of transfers, injuries etc, that Alex Neil getting the most out of the resources as his disposal?

I was debating it on the way back from the game today as whilst a point was by no means a bad result I fell we have been disjointed this season so far and today our tactics look a little muddled.

8 points from 4 games and unbeaten is however a decent start but being greedy could we have had more...

....not sure if you can just pass off injuries as a throwaway line.

for only 4 games gone ,we do seem to have had a lot .....and a lot happening in game too.

we''ve already had Dorrans,Pritchard,Ruddy,Olsson,Jacob Murphy and now Pinto injured and we''re only a fortnight in....and then of course there''s still Jarvis to come back

We''re not only being distrupted from game to game but in-game too.

Lets see when everyone''s fit?

You''re missing R. Martin and Brady off that list too.

For the quality we have and the players on our books we underperformed on Sunday, but the players will know that. Joint 2nd after 4 games isn''t bad by any means, but I would have been aiming for 3 wins at least from that given the opposition we''ve played so far. Sterner tests to come yet.

I would say we''ve under performed in 3 of our 4 matches so far. We''ve got results but we''ve not looked convincing at all.

We''re averaging two points a game which would put us on 92 at the end of the season, with the very real possibility the squad will be strengthened before the window shuts. We also have some injuries in key areas. Why are people getting so panicky early doors? Crazy.

I don''t think people are panicking, just highlighting the fact that it all seems very similar to last season, in terms of tactics and style of play.

We struggled to create any chances of note against Sheff Wed, who have then lost their next 2 matches. We scraped past Bristol with a fairly inconvincing performance, albeit we''ve looked good defensively both times. Yesterday, our defence looked ropey and we were fairly lucky to escape with a draw.

As I said, the results are decent but they seem to be masking over the fact the performances aren''t good enough. Neil has even said the same himself but yet he sticks with virtually the same personal and tactics, that have haven''t got him the desired performance levels for the last 12 months.

In answer to the OP''s question my view is no, he is not. But many seem to think he is one of GB''s best young managerial talents so I am patiently waiting for this to come through. Since taking over from Adams and leading us to that fantastic day at Wembley things do seem to have plateaued a bit. This team shouldn''t need gelling as it largely the one which played most of last season against better opposition. But we have 8 pts from 4 which is pretty good results wise.

Eight out of sixteen points is acceptable from my yellow tinted view point, but I expected ten.

Too negative against that Town eleven and there were many moments in that game when this proved to be wrong.

We had long spells of dominance and with a more attacking intent we could have taken the game. We were the more skilled and needed to make that count.

For what it''s worth (and next to nothing I suppose) I give our Alex ten games to prove his worth.

If we are floundering after that then it''s a goodbye from me.

He continues to think too much "such men are dangerous."

Keep it simple young man you have the quality at your disposal.

This league is not that difficult if you get it right. Paul Lambert proved that and you have a much better squad at your disposal.

"He thinks too much, such men are dangerous."

Yes its early days and 8 points is acceptable. Plus we have had a few injuries. But the fans are anxious because it is clear that we are still creating very little. As others have stated we are playing just the same as last season, too much fiddly short passing which is continually breaking down. We lack someone who can put their foot on the ball and find some space. Corners and set pieces are still poorly executed. How long have we to wait to see a goal scored from these scenarios. We remain slow in our build ups, and do not appear to be very sharp and alive to any situations. A classic was in the last minute of Sundays match. Tettey rec''d the ball in loads of space in midfield, but instead of the obvious route one, he fiddled around and the ball eventually finished up with the keeper who cleared up field but of course was unable to reach the players in "the box".

I think the anxiety from the fans is partly due to lasts summers transfer fiasco. To the naive outsiders (us fans kept in the dark) we have fear history is being repeated and lessons not learned (despite being told otherwise). Still patience may pay off. Window shuts soon, time will tell. Hope we havent f***ed it up come 1st September.