Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Your Worst Nightmare Could Be About To Happen Lakey !

Fabulous player and I''d have him back here in a second. Suffered a terrible injury but has fought back and is so far showing what a fine player he is in the Premier League.

Excellent delivery, passes with vision and goals.

Yep, he absolutely should be the centre of attention.

Grudge? Not a grudge, but wouldn''t want him back. At Norwich he tried to dominate proceedings all the time he was on the pitch, often wasting a lot of energy in the process by running into dead ends and failing to bring team mates into the game.  I hope his lay off taught him a bit about how to be more inclusive and I will enjoy watching him achieve at another club after having such a bad injury, but my overiding memories will be of a player who tried to do it all himself, scoring a few goals, but in the process limiting what players around him were able to do.   Thinking of wide players we have had over the years, he would be way down the list of my favourites.  Going back to Foggo, Neighbour, Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox, Peters, Huckerby........all of whom scored a few goals but were good team players too.  My overiding frustration at watching Snodgrass hold on to the ball too long, fall over, complain bitterly as if he had been fouled every time when it was blatantly obvious he had run into dead ends, was just too much over the course of a season.  Plenty of frustrations that season from other players too, but his characteristic style of doing it all himself and showing a lack of wanting to bring others into the game - demonstrated perfectly by his taking the ball off RVW for that penalty - was something that sticks in my mind. Did he make you stand up when he got the ball on the wing and run in to the penalty area? Or did he make you think, "oh, here we go again"? It was the latter for me and his play for me was as frustrating as any player we have ever had.  I would like to know how many of his runs on the ball ended up with a cross or shot and how many dead ends he ran into.  I would bet that the dead ends far outweighed the shots/crosses.  Every dead end he ran into was the end of an attack and a failure to bring team mates into the game. Even a large percentage of his crosses were like gentle lobs put in as a last resort when he had run out of ideas and defenders were packed around the box.  Sincerely wish him good luck this season, but as a player for us, he

failed to help the team enough. It was either him or nothing a lot of

the time and his effort was often misplaced, trying too hard and in the

process spoiling it for others.  Dreadful season and he was poor a lot

of the time, best forgotten.  The few goals he did score were good, but

percentage wise, he wasted possession more than he made something from

it, so no grudge, just an assessment of a player who tried to do it all

and on balance had more negative effect on team play than positive.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Don''t ruin it with nonsense like this.[/quote]And don''t ruin a good and well reasoned response with nonsense like this.Lakey is absolutely right about Snoddy IMHO, and for every goal that he scored for us, he potentially denied us 2 more that we might have got if he''d actually provided a quality final ball or if he hadn''t lost possession in a meaningless way because he simply wasn''t good enough to take on the defender(s).There''s no doubt in my mind that the guy CAN play, and if he was under a manager who can funnel his talents correctly (and get him to stop thinking that the football belongs to him) then he''s a player that wouldn''t be amiss in most premier league sides, however that''s not the case, and instead you see yet another flawed diamond that too many people like to see the sparkle in - whilst ignoring the glaring fault right through the middle...

I don''t mean to be rude, but if i''m completely honest anyone who wouldn''t take Snoddy in our team right now has an IQ of room temperature.

[quote user="hogesar"]I don''t mean to be rude, but if i''m completely honest anyone who wouldn''t take Snoddy in our team right now has an IQ of room temperature.
[/quote]

Whatever, but am looking forward to seeing Canos this season far more than I would Snodgrass, who I never wanted in the first place after having read about his record at Leeds and how the team goals dried up and the team failed to achieve when he became the main man there. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]I don''t mean to be rude, but if i''m completely honest anyone who wouldn''t take Snoddy in our team right now has an IQ of room temperature.
[/quote]

Whatever, but am looking forward to seeing Canos this season far more than I would Snodgrass, who I never wanted in the first place after having read about his record at Leeds and how the team goals dried up and the team failed to achieve when he became the main man there. 

[/quote]
It''d be alright if you didn''t keep moving the goalposts which is a clear indication you''re losing the argument.
When he first left it was "See how he does at Hull". Well he got injured, came back, and was instrumental for them last season. Then it''s "let''s see how he does in the prem". Well having watched both their games where he''s been brilliant in both - he''s been part of a team with little quality, not enough players to fill a sub bench and has stood out and they''ve got 2 wins in the prem already. Which we know, isn''t easy to come by.
Canos is nowhere near Snodgrass level yet. He may be at some point, but to prefer an unknown quantity to a proven Premier League goalscoring winger with set-piece ability shows nothing but an immature grudge against him.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]I don''t mean to be rude, but if i''m completely honest anyone who wouldn''t take Snoddy in our team right now has an IQ of room temperature.
[/quote]

[/quote]
It''d be alright if you didn''t keep moving the goalposts which is a clear indication you''re losing the argument.
When he first left it was "See how he does at Hull". Well he got injured, came back, and was instrumental for them last season. Then it''s "let''s see how he does in the prem". Well having watched both their games where he''s been brilliant in both - he''s been part of a team with little quality, not enough players to fill a sub bench and has stood out and they''ve got 2 wins in the prem already. Which we know, isn''t easy to come by.
Canos is nowhere near Snodgrass level yet. He may be at some point, but to prefer an unknown quantity to a proven Premier League goalscoring winger with set-piece ability shows nothing but an immature grudge against him.
[/quote]1) It''s not an argument, it''s an opinion2) Yes, I said let''s see how he does at Hull - and that I  would be happy if he does well in the premier league with them.  That doesn''t change what he did at Norwich.  3) Canos has more pace and "stand on your feet" potential than many players we have bought and is going to be hugely instrumental in our success this season imo. Canos or Snodgrass?   No contest.