Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

What striker does suit us?

So from the names we are continually linked with, I''ve seen that:

Rhodes- a slightly taller wolfswinkel, doesn''t work hard enough.

Mbokani- doesn''t run the channels enough, not suited to our system.

McCormack- too short to compliment a diminutive attacking midfield 3.

N''Doye- simply won''t score enough as not good enough

Wells- again pretty short and doesn''t have good enough technique. Would get found out.

Martin- too lazy, don''t go back, never works out.

There''s others but that''ll do for now...

Who do people see as the ideal striker then that can fit into "the Norwich way?"

HahaHa brilliant post. You better hope we don''t sign any of those then. Some great negatives on those guys.

Just look at the goalscoring records in the championship of those guys. If Jerome, Grabban & Hooper were good enough to get us promoted last time out I should imagine 1 or 2 of those would be this time around.

McCormack and wells completely irrelevant because they''re not available.

You''re comparing Rhodes to rvw that''s almost retarded. 82 goals for Rhodes says different don''t even have to explain anymore.

Mbokani doesn''t run the channels? Neither does jerome but mbokani scored goals in the premier for us more so than jerome (who can''t "run" the channels)

Guess you''re a lafferty fan (who also ain''t good enough) suggest a striker please that''s good enough for us? Luis Suarez maybe?

A Lewis Grabban skillful, pacey, mobile type suits this system best. It''s a shame he couldn''t shoot.

Jerome is an adequate mix of all different qualities needed in a striker but he''s just not that difficult to defend against and he doesn''t open up much space for our midfield. I think AN played Grabban more when fit and we generally looked a more fluid, effective side with that kind of striker.

Can''t for the life of me think of one name that fits the bill.

Wasn''t my opinions, just what I''d read on here and elsewhere from people about them. Personally, I''d want assombalonga most (though not gonna happen) but would be happy with Rhodes or Wells.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Isn''t the OP just paraphrasing what others have said about potential targets or am I wide of the mark?[/quote]

Correct, sorry I wasn''t clear with that.

Forestieri for me , pacy can pick up the ball and create his own chances , Norwich just do not create enough for a Rhodes type forward we saw that with Hooper .

I''m fine with whoever we sign as long as they can play upfront on their own if required, the system that is our plan A. Ability wise he can be similar to Jerome, or run in behind like Grabban, or be a more static Target man type but he does need to be able to operate upfront on his own without looking lost. If we are going to sign that sort of player and another striker also then I''m totally at ease with signing someone who prefers to play as a top two, to give us a viable alternative.

[quote user="have my howson it"]You''re comparing Rhodes to rvw that''s almost retarded. 82 goals for Rhodes says different don''t even have to explain anymore.[/quote]Well, seeing as how Rhodes has never played at the top level before, and that RvW hasn''t played a season in the champs either, then I can see part of your argument as correct, however in terms of style of play, there''s really not much between them.RvW is actually slightly taller than Rhodes, but Rhodes is a bit better in the air. Neither work as a classic target man who uses their strength to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game a''la Jerome/Mbokani/Carroll etc, both need to be in a system designed to let them play their game (Blackburn focused on crossing right for Rhodes, we focused on giving RvW f**k all supply instead), and both ideally work best when played alongside a strike partner (be this an old fashioned 2 upfront, or a 1-1 with a creative player (e.g Wes) playing off them).Neither have particularly powerful shots (both more about placement or quick flicks for goals), and neither will win any strongman competitions.Difference being that we''d already paid for RvW, rather than throwing that cash away and spending even more on Rhodes. Looks like he''s not coming anyway (good news IMHO), so pretty irrelevant in the end regardless...

A superb post! - and unlike one of the responders above, I don''t assume the OP favours Lafferty either - he''s just making a valid point; some NCFC fans mock every potential signing to support their beliefs & opinions.

Who''d be a manager eh?

BTW, I just compared Rhodes'' club & country goal scoring record to that of McCormack:

Rhodes (age 26) has scored in 51% of his games (182 career goals).

McCormack (age 30) has scored in 34% of his games (139 career goals).

Yet one NCFC fan on Twitter this morning still claims Rhodes is (quote) "overrated". I''m unsure in what sense, but he must be referring to something other than his ability to hit the back of the net - the precise job role we''re recruiting for.

Playing formations can always be changed, so that''s not a barrier.

Very few ''1 in 2'' strikers even exist; should one with a proven record in the Championship ever become available - & if you don''t ask, you don''t get - I''d expect Jez Moxey to act like a proverbial rat up a drainpipe...

Kyle Lafferty? No transfer fee needed, he wouldn''t take long to settle in the area, he knows the players, the fans already love him. He''s a full international with exceptional scoring rate (both on and off field 😃). Bagged a goal tonight on his first start of the season.