Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

11 days to go and no sign of activity

It certainly wasn''t the same applause. You can dress it up as ironic cheers or even protests against the board like that show of petulance after Sheff Wed was later excused as. But whatever reason you come up with Laffertys introduction wasn''t worthy of it when compared to Cam''s contribution.

No. I interpretated the fact that his introduction got a better reception than Cam''s performance to mean those who increased their appreciation must think him better.

....there''s allsorts of reasons as to why an oncoming/offgoing substitute may get a "slightly" louder applause than that of whom he''s replaced by/with before coming to that conclusion?

i.e a player coming back from a long injury lay off being given an applause upon his first sub appearance back....wouldnt necessarily mean that fans think he''s better than the player he''s replacing.

. As I said , I believe that Lafferty was given the reception he was as people recognise that if he''s encouraged and his head is in the right place ,we are in a better position with him being around our squad than not....at least until/if we bring in another striker...and IMO opinion even after that.....no more than that.

I dont see that anyone in their right mind would be thinking that he should be ahead of Jerome...

Just another example of our fickle fans.

It was an insult to the effort that Jerome put in on Tuesday night that the applause for Lafferty coming on was significantly higher than when Jerome came off.

We draw with SW...boooooooooo! (Apparently because we hadn''t signed a striker).

Jerome plays a massive part in keeping our lead against Bristol City in tact, is applauded off. The applause heightens when a player who''s done nothing to force his way into the managers plans and has shown nothing on the pitch to warrant the ridiculous fan support, comes on.

We beat Bristol City but still haven''t signed a striker, no booing.

...and another who seemingly chooses to just see face value and not read between the lines...

.done nothing to force his way into the managers plans......I guess he has to be given a chance on the pitch to be able to do that??......and until we do sign another striker , who in your opinion is our next best option behind Jerome.

fickle?......I''ll be at Ipswich tomorrow, as I was at every away game last season bar one....I trust you''ll be there too

It''s just petulance really. Like that pathetic booing the game before which was later explained as frustration that the board hadn''t bought a striker. If that had been the case it would have been worse 3 days later. Not non existent.

Getting back to the OP, and his question that he couldn''t be arsed to answer himself, it all depends how good you think Jerome is as to how easily we can buy better.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]...and another who seemingly chooses to just see face value and not read between the lines...

.done nothing to force his way into the managers plans......I guess he has to be given a chance on the pitch to be able to do that??......and until we do sign another striker , who in your opinion is our next best option behind Jerome.

fickle?......I''ll be at Ipswich tomorrow, as I was at every away game last season bar one....I trust you''ll be there too[/quote]

I''m commenting and giving my opinion of certain factions of the fan base from the last 2 home games. You''re just lowering yourself like so many others have by insinuating that because you''ve been to every away game last season (bar one), that makes you a better fan.

I trust our manager that Lafferty hasn''t shown him enough to be given a chance. If he was good enough, he would''ve had his chance on the pitch. In fact it shows how low his opinion is of him that Morris was on the bench last week instead and that though clearly knackered a lot earlier (and with the Derby on Sunday) Jerome was left on the pitch until the last few minutes.

....and how would you then explain the fact that he did come on, only 3 days later vs Bristol City instead of Morris?

I guess his opinion must have changed in that 72 hours.

Not suggesting that I''m a better fan that anyone.....but I will defend myself against the accusation of being "fickle" ....Ive missed 4 home league games in the last 36 seasons since my first in 1980.

If I were fickle I''m sure I''d have found something better to do with my weekends during that period of time during our "darker" times??

Ok, reading between the lines as you say I haven''t been...

Do you really believe that the ridiculously over the top reception for Lafferty will help him in any way? Show him encouragement? He''s not 6 and can''t be that stupid to realise you have to earn that kind of response. Yes of course we should applaud him onto the pitch but imo, it was delivered in an over the top fashion that took any sincerity there might have been completely out of it.

Also what of encouraging Jerome? He is our best (and almost only) striker at the club at the moment. What of his thoughts when hearing that response? He''s just run himself into the ground for close to 90 mins (and made himself throw up in the process) yet isn''t rewarding as much for his efforts as Lafferty is for coming on.

I simply found the reaction bizarre and I don''t believe we are supporting certain players enough while giving others embarrassing amounts. I want everyone in the squad to do well but will save that kind of response to when they''ve actually delivered.

I have not called you fickle but I would also say it is completely irrelevant about the number of games attended as you you could still be fickle and not missed a game in 50 years.

I also stand by my opinion that those ''fans'' that booed last Saturday because we hadn''t signed a striker, gave the over the top reaction to Lafferty coming on and then didn''t boo because we won though have got no closer to signing a striker...are by definition, fickle.

....but Jerome was applauded off wasn''t he, infact a standing ovation in many quarters??.

we''re all being slightly sensitive souls to be taking some sort of offence that another Norwich player (not a rival player)...is then applauded on?......they''re your 6 year olds.

as I alluded to earlier, a player perhaps making a comeback after a long injury may be afforded an applause....and in a way Lafferty''s appearance was almost like a "new signing".....its getting on for a year since he last kicked a ball for us.

I''m not totally sure what the guy has done that''s so wrong in people''s eyes?.....He''s never slagged the club off when he hasnt been picked, after going out on loan to both the Turkish side 2 seasons ago and Birmingham last season, he''s wished us well for the remainder of each season.

He''s expressed his desire to want to stay here and fight for a place.

Now if he''s not good enough , then thats a different matter......but quite why people are taking some sort of offence to the chap being given an applause when he takes to the field is quite baffling.

...and if you''re asking me if doing so is "encouraging" him in anyway....then the answer is "yes".

What do you want us to do?....boo him onto the pitch??

remember.....come a minute past midnight on the morning of Sept 1st, we might well need him here.

Yes Jerome was applauded off. But the reception for Laffertys introduction was greater. Thats the point being made and how many games you attend is irrelevant to it.

Lafferty''s tweet after Tuesday''s game....

K ❤️VVerified account

‏@LaffK

Great to get on pitch tonight. Reception was unbelievable so thank you. Only wish I get more time to play infront of such amazing fans #otbc

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Yes Jerome was applauded off. But the reception for Laffertys introduction was greater. Thats the point being made and how many games you attend is irrelevant to it.[/quote]

not irrelelevant when the accusation has been made of "fickle".

do keep up

It doesn''t surprise me to find the fickle saying that something said on twatter is more worthy than a player giving his all to help the team to a win...

I don''t what I''m saying that''s confusing.

The difference between receptions was clear (and yes I was there, go me) and I just found it very over the top and not beneficial to either Lafferty or Jerome.

I take no offence to the reception (obviously), just that it was bizarre and not helpful or supportive. I actually said ''of course, we should applaud him on'' and no, im not 6.

I have not said Lafferty has done anything wrong and agree he has acted well during the whole time he''s been here (from we''ve seen) but also, as you said, I don''t believe he''s good enough....and it seems AN agrees.

Again, I take no offence to applause, OF COURSE we should applaud a sub onto the field. I''m talking about the over the top nature of it and the difference between someone who had just played virtually 90 mins in a winning side to someone coming on for the first time in a year for a couple of minutes.

I don''t agree he''d see it as encouragement rather than fans own agenda, but I''ll agree to disagree as can''t keep saying the same thing.

No I don''t want to boo him onto the pitch. I don''t boo as I think I''ve mentioned before.

Come a minute past 11pm on Aug 31st, I believe we won''t be needing him and it would be a big mistake to be relying on him as immediate backup to Jerome.

It''s not about lafferty. I''m a fan of lafferty. It''s about being disrespectful to a player who''d given his all. I happy clapped laffertys introduction but not with the fervour that I showed appreciation to Jerome.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]From one N Ireland striker to another!, hear AN was watching Will Grigg today.[/quote]

Wigan were at Forest, so he was probably watching Assombalonga too. They both scored...

I''m glad Lafferty felt appreciated and wants to play in front of the fans.

However I''d much rather that tweet came from Jerome.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Yes Jerome was applauded off. But the reception for Laffertys introduction was greater. Thats the point being made and how many games you attend is irrelevant to it.[/quote]

not irrelelevant when the accusation has been made of "fickle".

do keep up[/quote]

It is completely irrelevant as I sit around plenty of fickle fans who are there week in week out for decades.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]Probably as much as IBT likes being stupid. I wonder how long he''ll spend on Google trying to find his next inappropriate quote.

[/quote]

and I''ll say again....Jerome was given by many a standing ovation as he left the field. I think you''re possibly doing him a disservice to think that he would have been negatively affected by the player coming on being given his own reception?. I wager he''s made of a little stronger stuff than that.....and as I also said, we''re all on the same side aren''t we? Lafferty doesnt play for the opposition???

and yes FireyZac.

...I''m sure we can all agree on your last statement....

"I believe we won''t be needing him and it would be a big mistake to be relying on him as immediate backup to Jerome. "

...its just that some fans would have liked it to have been addressed before now.....and as at the end of the Sheff Weds game saw the sitaution has having an effect of that result.....hence some dissatisfaction.

Round and round in circles. Let''s leave it at me wishing the appreciation for Jerome had been as loud as the welcome for Lafferty. And you being glad it wasn''t.....

maybe you should put a request into the club, just to put your own mind at rest, that in future we announce the player coming on first....let him have his "coming on" ovation....and then leave the "coming off ovation" ''til second.....just to see if that makes a difference?

sensitive lambs