Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

11 days to go and no sign of activity

What???

We were talking about fickle fans. You said you believed the booing was because of the lack of action on the striker front. So why not boo on Tuesday? By definition those two actions are fickle. Yes?

If you didn''t boo why have this argument. I was disgusted by those that booed and have made it very clear as to why. Of course we shouldn''t boo after Tuesday but it highlights the ridiculousness (or fickle nature) of the booing on sat.

Being fickle has nothing to do with levels of opposition or whatever you''re arguing now. Also both SW and BC came with the same tactics and were both reasonably efficient at their game plan. The difference being an improvement in our midfield (Howson getting forward more). Overall the performance was similar, good in defence, midfield better but still sloppy at times and Jerome working his socks off but out of form in front of goal.

The difference was we won the game. I supported loudly for the team in both games. Those I''m accusing of being fickle booed at the end of one as we didn''t win, and cheered at the end of the other because we did.

now i think you confusing being fickle with people just being "football fans".

Hate to break it to you.....but thats what happens...if a team wins , fans cheer....if they dont....or dont play well, sometimes they might get booed.

I''ll tell you all about the tooth fairy next week.

Wow thanks for the insight. Well you''ve been to nearly every game for the last 100 years so not only are you a better fan but you can obviously teach me about football fans in general.

I really don''t think I''m getting confused about what fickle means though. Or is there a special meaning for football use only? Nope, didn''t think so. The reaction on Tuesday was of course what was going to happen but it was a beautiful moment to highlight the ridiculousness of sat and the disgraceful booing. I supported my team. Those that booed or agreed with it, didn''t. Don''t worry, you can still change though.

You also missed a bit out in your statement above:

''If a team wins, fans cheer....if they don''t...or don''t play well....or if the club haven''t bought a striker, sometimes they might get booed''

if the club hasn''t bought a striker that is seen to be directly having an impact on the result of a game, it would probably get booed......and i''ll imagine that would probably remain the case until such time as it is addressed?

fairly simple stuff here......it affected the Sheff Weds game.....but it didnt vs Bristol City because they were a lesser standard of opposition that our existing team were good enough to beat.

But there is absolutely no way of knowing it was a direct influence on the game. We didn''t have the ball in midfield and were creating nothing for Jerome so what use would bringing on a different striker be?

It''s all ifs and maybes but for the sake of that, booing (if that''s even the reason for it which it clearly wasn''t for some) is an extreme reaction for a game we didn''t lose and for the first at CR of the season. Again, disgraceful.

other than when protecting a point against the likes of an Arsenal,Man City or Chelsea.......when have you ever seen us take off a striker and replace with a defensive midfielder to see out a point at Carrow Road against opposition as modest as Sheff Weds were? and certainly not this early in the season......I for one never have.....and nor do I believe we would have if we had someone half competant on the bench to come on for Jerome.

yes it may have lost us the game ....(although i dont think sheff weds were going out to win,they we happy with a point).......but it sure as hell would have made it more likely that we would have won it..

But they weren''t modest opposition in the game. They were controlling the midfield. I agree, had we not been forced into 2 changes then we could have made a tactical change to influence the game that could result in a goal and hopefully win. If it was as simple as put a striker on, why wasn''t Morris put on? We weren''t supplying Jerome with anything so a change of striker with only one change left would''ve just meant no supply to Morris/Assombolonga/McCormack or whoever. Like it or not, Mulumbu did make a difference and solidified our midfield and he wasnt just sitting in front of the back 4, he was making the sort of attacking moves we needed from Howson (that we then saw against Bristol City).

It could also have been a clever nod from AN to the board that we do need another striker, whether it was intended or not. I''d say much more effective than any stupid booing would achieve.

why wasnt Morris put on??

I think we all know the answer to that......he''s not ready/good enough...and obviously Neil knew that too otherwise he would have?

I''d far rather Neil talk in the boardroom about the situation rather than making "nods" as gestures to the directors box on a matchday.

I''m still confused as to why Lafferty was deemed ok for the bench at Blackburn......then not vs Sheff Weds.....but then seemingly back ahead of Morris 72 hours later vs Bristol C.

Now it might be that Neil doesnt think that he is good enough either....but I would have thrown him on against Sheff Weds.

But all this is only serving to show up our present situation.......we only have one striker on our books that AN trusts.....100 days after the last game of last season.

You''ve ignored my whole point about the change working in the game? We had lost the midfield. First and foremost it was the right change to make, IF it was a nod to the board then it''s better than stupid booing.

Morris isn''t ready, Lafferty isn''t good enough. We need strikers we know that. AN knows that. The board know that. I don''t see what booing achieved. Maybe it would get a message of frustration across that we haven''t got enough strikers ''100 days after the last game of the season'' but I think there''s too many negatives for it to be even considered a good idea. I''m there to show appreciation to the players (if they put in a shift for the team which they did) and just find booing wrong.

Oh well. Each to their own. Fans will carry on booing, I''ll carry on thinking it''s stupid. I''ve gone on about it this time as it really reached a new low to be booing at the first home game of the season after a draw, no matter what the ''fans'' reasons.

The worrying conclusion about the Lafferty snub then inclusion from sat to tues is that AN know we''re not going to get 2 strikers in and so needs to keep Lafferty interested.

Much like last season a transfer window fiasco looks set to end the season before it''s properly started. I guess we''ll all be able to clap goodbye to the squad as it''s dismantled next May.

Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]...you don''t think we need a forward?

What do we do if /when Jerome gets injured......or runs himself into the ground after 75 mins????[/quote]The Murphy duo and Carlton need to be given the chance to earn their dough - there''s no point in them aspiring to be better footballers otherwise and there''s certainly no point in the academy as a consequence of them not being given that chance.We''re in and out of the Premier because we don''t have hugely wealthy owners who can purchase the worlds best and I personally like it like that, but the only way to remain in the Premier with our resources is to utilise these youngsters among the experienced playing staff whilst we''re in the Championship.[/quote]Agree with this. I think a lot of fans want a new striker to settle their own nerves, rather than for the good of the club. It''s like a woman reaching for the shopping catalogue in an effort to cheer herself up.

I think Morris et al will be given the Coventry game to stake their claims for first-team consideration.

Cam does a job for us in this system, but is much better suited to our previous Championship style- which I''m sure we will go for at times this year also. It would be much easier to try and prepare a defensive strategy against us if we only have one forward, than if we had a couple with different attributes.

Personally see no reason that Lafferty shouldn''t get some time here or there, but unless the management see something particularly special in Morris it would be mental to rely on him this year anywhere higher than 4th choice.

[quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I''m sure you''re right. If he doesn''t sign it will have nothing to do with the fact that the people at the club were unable to get the deal over the line, or that he wasn''t all that impressed with the training facilities, or that he was totally uninspired by the poor performance of the team on the day, or that Bennett and Klose looked solid as a defensive pairing (meaning he is unlikely to waltz straight into the first team) or any of the hundreds of variables that are under the influence of those who are paid by club. Yes if he doesn''t sign for Norwich it will definitely be down to a few fans voicing their frustrations after a below par performance.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I''m sure you''re right. If he doesn''t sign it will have nothing to do with the fact that the people at the club were unable to get the deal over the line, or that he wasn''t all that impressed with the training facilities, or that he was totally uninspired by the poor performance of the team on the day, or that Bennett and Klose looked solid as a defensive pairing (meaning he is unlikely to waltz straight into the first team) or any of the hundreds of variables that are under the influence of those who are paid by club. Yes if he doesn''t sign for Norwich it will definitely be down to a few fans voicing their frustrations after a below par performance.[/quote]If I were a casual observer hearing fans boo at the end of a seemingly competitive match, I would wonder what is going on. There would of course be many reasons why a player does or doesn''t sign, but hearing unjustified booing by home fans would be one small but negative thing to add to any list of pros and cons about a club.    

[quote user="Iwoe"][quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I''m sure you''re right. If he doesn''t sign it will have nothing to do with the fact that the people at the club were unable to get the deal over the line, or that he wasn''t all that impressed with the training facilities, or that he was totally uninspired by the poor performance of the team on the day, or that Bennett and Klose looked solid as a defensive pairing (meaning he is unlikely to waltz straight into the first team) or any of the hundreds of variables that are under the influence of those who are paid by club. Yes if he doesn''t sign for Norwich it will definitely be down to a few fans voicing their frustrations after a below par performance.

[/quote]

You have absolutely no idea if that negative atmosphere played ANY part in his decision, no idea whatsoever. I''m not sure if you booed the other night but that would totally make sense given you''re happy to accept any of your reasons why the lad didn''t sign yet you totally rule out the booing being any sort of a factor - guilty perhaps?. One things for sure, anyone with half a brain will realise that lack of harmony certainly wouldn''t have helped our chances.

So we''ll just have to leave it out there as a possibility...

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="Iwoe"][quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I''m sure you''re right. If he doesn''t sign it will have nothing to do with the fact that the people at the club were unable to get the deal over the line, or that he wasn''t all that impressed with the training facilities, or that he was totally uninspired by the poor performance of the team on the day, or that Bennett and Klose looked solid as a defensive pairing (meaning he is unlikely to waltz straight into the first team) or any of the hundreds of variables that are under the influence of those who are paid by club. Yes if he doesn''t sign for Norwich it will definitely be down to a few fans voicing their frustrations after a below par performance.

[/quote]

You have absolutely no idea if that negative atmosphere played ANY part in his decision, no idea whatsoever. I''m not sure if you booed the other night but that would totally make sense given you''re happy to accept any of your reasons why the lad didn''t sign yet you totally rule out the booing being any sort of a factor - guilty perhaps?. One things for sure, anyone with half a brain will realise that lack of harmony certainly wouldn''t have helped our chances.

So we''ll just have to leave it out there as a possibility...[/quote]

Again you''re right, you do have absolutely no idea as to what influences a players decision to join Norwich City or not. But I''m sure it''s far more likely that a few fans that don''t blindly tow the "Jones'' can do no wrong" party line by booing at the end of a poor performance are the deciding factor in who does and doesn''t join the canaries. I''m sure such considerations like the wages offered, length of contract, how important a role in the squad, what the facilities are like and where the team is probably going to finish in the league would be disregarded by a player when they hear a few boos. Yes, if only we could get Ibrahimovic to come to Carrow Road and witness the fans passionately getting behind the players regardless of the performance we would no doubt solve the problem of not being able to sign a new striker.

[quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I thought Alex Neil said he was not going to do anything more on this signing untill he has strikers in .

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I thought Alex Neil said he was not going to do anything more on this signing untill he has strikers in .[/quote]Indeed he did. But had people not booed at the end of the Sheffield Wednesday game we would have signed those two strikers by now, meaning Jérôme Onguéné would already be turning out regularly for the U21s.

Just listening to Alex on Canary Call, does not seem we are anywhere close to getting a striker in before window ends, ive said since May i would not be surprised to see us getting nobody in, i think at most a loan signing may come in but not a permanent.

Iwan''s Big Toe wrote the following post at 2016-08-21 6:35 PM:

CanaryOne wrote:

Alex wrote:

Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?

I thought Alex Neil said he was not going to do anything more on this signing untill he has strikers in .

Indeed he did. But had people not booed at the end of the Sheffield Wednesday game we would have signed those two strikers by now, meaning Jérôme Onguéné would already be turning out regularly for the U21s.

Why would it mean Onguene would be turning out for the U21 after signing two strikers? He''s a centre back!!

[quote user="City 2nd"]Iwan''s Big Toe wrote the following post at 2016-08-21 6:35 PM:

CanaryOne wrote:

Alex wrote:

I thought Alex Neil said he was not going to do anything more on this signing untill he has strikers in .

Indeed he did. But had people not booed at the end of the Sheffield Wednesday game we would have signed those two strikers by now, meaning Jérôme Onguéné would already be turning out regularly for the U21s.

Why would it mean Onguene would be turning out for the U21 after signing two strikers? He''s a centre back!![/quote]Do you know that''s a very good question. You''ll have to ask Alex Neil, because I have no idea why he keeps on signing young players and then lets them rot in the U21''s.

Alex is playing the press. He said at the start we would be able to change things when we get new changes in . Alex jumped on the hope line that was fed to him ill be amazed if we get dont get at least 1 striker in

Does anybody else think we will need to sell before any significant signings come in? I keep seeing references to spending the "Redmond money", but surely we spent that on Canos and Pritchard?

People may point to the McCormack offer, but we don''t know if that was contingent on selling Brady or maybe Naismith, or both. If anybody has a handle on the likely remaining transfer budget I''d be interested to hear thoughts. I definitely don''t think we have as much to spend as some may think, and maybe it''s this which is really hampering the striker search.