Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

11 days to go and no sign of activity

Fuzz are think a lot of people who had a go at Til in June are going to have to eat humble pie, they guy was right to say sell before we buy.

You''re thinking is in line with mine.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]That is risible and unacceptable. An injury to Jerome and we are stuffed. How can we be in this situation again?[/quote]

we''re harming ourselves now let alone whether he gets an injury.

The guy is flogging himself into ground by 75 mins....and with no viable alternative to come on to replace him to carry on with the lone striker role, not only does Jerome lose his effectiveness in the last quarter of an hour....but the team then also suffers as a result as balls played up front aren''t "sticking"....

[quote user="IwansBigTwat"][quote user="Alex "][quote user="Iwoe"][quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I''m sure you''re right. If he doesn''t sign it will have nothing to do with the fact that the people at the club were unable to get the deal over the line, or that he wasn''t all that impressed with the training facilities, or that he was totally uninspired by the poor performance of the team on the day, or that Bennett and Klose looked solid as a defensive pairing (meaning he is unlikely to waltz straight into the first team) or any of the hundreds of variables that are under the influence of those who are paid by club. Yes if he doesn''t sign for Norwich it will definitely be down to a few fans voicing their frustrations after a below par performance.

[/quote]

You have absolutely no idea if that negative atmosphere played ANY part in his decision, no idea whatsoever. I''m not sure if you booed the other night but that would totally make sense given you''re happy to accept any of your reasons why the lad didn''t sign yet you totally rule out the booing being any sort of a factor - guilty perhaps?. One things for sure, anyone with half a brain will realise that lack of harmony certainly wouldn''t have helped our chances.

So we''ll just have to leave it out there as a possibility...[/quote]

Again you''re right, you do have absolutely no idea as to what influences a players decision to join Norwich City or not. But I''m sure it''s far more likely that a few fans that don''t blindly tow the "Jones'' can do no wrong" party line by booing at the end of a poor performance are the deciding factor in who does and doesn''t join the canaries. I''m sure such considerations like the wages offered, length of contract, how important a role in the squad, what the facilities are like and where the team is probably going to finish in the league would be disregarded by a player when they hear a few boos. Yes, if only we could get Ibrahimovic to come to Carrow Road and witness the fans passionately getting behind the players regardless of the performance we would no doubt solve the problem of not being able to sign a new striker.

[/quote]

As I said, you have no idea what effect it had on the lad so shut it 👍

You boo boys got a mention on SKY today. Apparently the dressingroom was shocked after they were booed off against Sheff Wed...

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="IwansBigTwat"][quote user="Alex "][quote user="Iwoe"][quote user="Alex "]Think posters who said the booing may have put off the French lad from signing maybe right, we were obviously close to the dotted line... Perhaps the negative atmosphere failed to impress?[/quote]I''m sure you''re right. If he doesn''t sign it will have nothing to do with the fact that the people at the club were unable to get the deal over the line, or that he wasn''t all that impressed with the training facilities, or that he was totally uninspired by the poor performance of the team on the day, or that Bennett and Klose looked solid as a defensive pairing (meaning he is unlikely to waltz straight into the first team) or any of the hundreds of variables that are under the influence of those who are paid by club. Yes if he doesn''t sign for Norwich it will definitely be down to a few fans voicing their frustrations after a below par performance.

[/quote]

You have absolutely no idea if that negative atmosphere played ANY part in his decision, no idea whatsoever. I''m not sure if you booed the other night but that would totally make sense given you''re happy to accept any of your reasons why the lad didn''t sign yet you totally rule out the booing being any sort of a factor - guilty perhaps?. One things for sure, anyone with half a brain will realise that lack of harmony certainly wouldn''t have helped our chances.

So we''ll just have to leave it out there as a possibility...[/quote]

Again you''re right, you do have absolutely no idea as to what influences a players decision to join Norwich City or not. But I''m sure it''s far more likely that a few fans that don''t blindly tow the "Jones'' can do no wrong" party line by booing at the end of a poor performance are the deciding factor in who does and doesn''t join the canaries. I''m sure such considerations like the wages offered, length of contract, how important a role in the squad, what the facilities are like and where the team is probably going to finish in the league would be disregarded by a player when they hear a few boos. Yes, if only we could get Ibrahimovic to come to Carrow Road and witness the fans passionately getting behind the players regardless of the performance we would no doubt solve the problem of not being able to sign a new striker.

[/quote]

As I said, you have no idea what effect it had on the lad so shut it 👍[/quote]Obviously trying to use sarcasm as a means of pointing out the futility of your argument is wasted on you friend. So you leave me no other choice but to sink to your level. So here goes..........You don''t know what you are talking about either, so shut up mr poopy head.

What''s even more poor than not signing a forward, is the fact we sold strikers without replacing them. Literally doing the very thing that other clubs aren''t willing to do when we reportedly are looking at their players. We are naive in both respects of signing and letting players go.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]You boo boys got a mention on SKY today. Apparently the dressingroom was shocked after they were booed off against Sheff Wed...[/quote]

That doesn''t fit in with the fickle fans argument Nutty so they''re ignoring it and hoping this thread slides down the board.

i know there wasn''t many of them but I didn''t hear the binners boo after a draw and poor performance. Oh yeh, the booing was because we havent signed a striker...

[quote user="Fiery Zac"][quote user="nutty nigel"]You boo boys got a mention on SKY today. Apparently the dressingroom was shocked after they were booed off against Sheff Wed...[/quote]

That doesn''t fit in with the fickle fans argument Nutty so they''re ignoring it and hoping this thread slides down the board.

i know there wasn''t many of them but I didn''t hear the binners boo after a draw and poor performance. Oh yeh, the booing was because we havent signed a striker...[/quote]

Presumably they were more than happy with getting a draw at home to us?

[quote user="Fiery Zac"][quote user="nutty nigel"]You boo boys got a mention on SKY today. Apparently the dressingroom was shocked after they were booed off against Sheff Wed...[/quote]

i know there wasn''t many of them but I didn''t hear the binners boo after a draw and poor performance. Oh yeh, the booing was because we havent signed a striker...[/quote]

Presumably they were more than happy with getting a draw at home to us?

....and a comment on the dressing room feedback from the SW game?

It''s further proof (if it was even needed, though it obviously is for some) that that reaction achieved nothing except highlight what some of our fans really are...

You watch the boo boys come back onside if we are winning. Striker or no striker. It was just petulance. I would bet 99% of fans are frustrated by the lack of striking options. But booing the team off the pitch???? Of course it wasn''t that!

I think you need to remember we finished the game with no striker, no one knows why the boos rang out, unless those that booed would like to tell us, but I''m still of the opinion it wasn''t aimed at the team but manager and board for our first game at home and lacking in squad depth after being promised the same mistakes of last summer would not be repeated!

Might be wrong.

We''ll of course each individual who booed will have had a reason. I''m just repeating that the dressingroom was surprised to be booed off at the end of the game.

Same thing happened two years ago then everyone celebrated at Wembley as though they''d been on board all season....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]We''ll of course each individual who booed will have had a reason. I''m just repeating that the dressingroom was surprised to be booed off at the end of the game.

Same thing happened two years ago then everyone celebrated at Wembley as though they''d been on board all season....[/quote]

Well as the players were sh*t against Sheffield Wednesday perhaps it doesn''t do them any harm be "shocked" rather than given a standing ovation for getting relegated. It certainly has not resulted in a downturn in form if that is your point Nutty?

Going back to the main theme of this tread the fact we are in the position we are in now in terms of strikers with just over a week left in the window is nothing short of a disgrace.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]We''ll of course each individual who booed will have had a reason. I''m just repeating that the dressingroom was surprised to be booed off at the end of the game.

Same thing happened two years ago then everyone celebrated at Wembley as though they''d been on board all season....[/quote]

I''ve come to the conclusion that it is because people feel they can express their emotions more freely these days. Booing used to be reserved for the oppositon, refs and when things were really bad.  Booing now seems - for some - to have become a first reaction for if we don''t win. They have lost the plot imo.

In actually news.

On Thursday Alex said he and his team had identified their targets and now it was up to others to sort out the deal.

Norwich, like most clubs, are at the whim of the transfer window. Too lay the fact no strikers have been signed entirely at the feet of the club is a mistake those who think the club operates in a bubble make.

Norwich are not in control of everything and will have to wait for clubs to make their player available or for players to kick off and force a move.

imagine you are a new signing

would you sign for a very inexperienced manager you have never heard of with no style of play to his team chops and changes his tactics team

or a experienced manager who you have heard of maybe watched play when younger and respected

who tells you that you would suit the style he has played the for seasons and has proved he is a good manager

if it was equal wages / location you would sign for experienced manager ever time

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]We''ll of course each individual who booed will have had a reason. I''m just repeating that the dressingroom was surprised to be booed off at the end of the game.

I''ve come to the conclusion that it is because people feel they can express their emotions more freely these days. Booing used to be reserved for the oppositon, refs and when things were really bad.  Booing now seems - for some - to have become a first reaction for if we don''t win. They have lost the plot imo.

[/quote]

In the 30 years I have been attending Carrow Road I think there has been some booing on the final whistle of virtually every defeat so its not something new. I know we didn''t lose to Wednesday but it felt a bit like we did. It was that disappointment plus fans sending out a message to the board after we had to play the last 10 minutes with no striker on the pitch.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]In actually news.

On Thursday Alex said he and his team had identified their targets and now it was up to others to sort out the deal.

Norwich, like most clubs, are at the whim of the transfer window. Too lay the fact no strikers have been signed entirely at the feet of the club is a mistake those who think the club operates in a bubble make.

Norwich are not in control of everything and will have to wait for clubs to make their player available or for players to kick off and force a move.[/quote]

Sorry but I just do not accept that it is not possible to sign any strikers until the last week of the transfer window. Moreover why, if no clubs are willing to let strikers go without a replacement, are we consistently prepared to do so? Why wasn''t Hooper sent out on loan again so if we needed him this season we had an option?

Its p**s poor planning and work in the transfer market whichever way you try and dress it up. Even if your main target has to wait we arguably need 2 so at least one should have been brought in early to take the pressure off.

Same thing happened two years ago then everyone celebrated at Wembley as though they''d been on board all season....[/quote]I can''t help but wonder if you have always had this attitude. Did you steadfastly display it by refusing to criticise anyone at the club when Bob the builder was milking every last penny available in the early nineties? Did you continue to hold firm to your beliefs that the people in charge were doing their best back then whilst getting on you little soap box and intimating anyone that didn''t blindly back those in power don''t truly support the club? Or have only "been on board" since 1996 because you are a staunch Labour voter and proud owner of every cookery book ever printed by New Crane Publishing?

Sorry Beth, but if what you say is true then, those who do the deals should accept the blame, if we don''t identify enough targets who are willing to come then AN & the scouts need to look what they are doing wrong.

The clubs a four season premiership outfit, we have recently changed our board set up and it looks like that isn''t as good as Bowkett, McNally combo.

Surely players like Vydra would be very happy to come here, he''d be a welcome addition to this squad and scores in this league!

It is of course possible to sign a striker on any day of the transfer window. But it may not be possible to sign the preferred striker on any day.

There are positives and negatives to waiting in the transfer window - prices will go down as well as up as the deadline approaches and player who were unavailable in August become available for a number of reasons.

In the case of Hooper, at the time of selling he wasn''t needed. The club can''t hold onto players just in case they will be needed at some point in the future - otherwise the club would have a squad of 100s. Hooper probably didn''t want to just go out on loan again and at the time £3m was seen as a fair price.

I would imagine Norwich are waiting on the 2nd striker until after the main target is completed (although will have targets arranged). You wouldn''t want to miss the main target by a relatively small amount of money, because you have spent it on his understudy. This is also the reasoning behind delaying Onguene.

It is much more important to buy the correct striker on the last day of August rather than the wrong one on the 1st day of that month. Jermone was signed in the last week of August for a couple of million - he worked out pretty well that season.

Beth I could buy into you''re comments but we were never in the hunt for Pritchard, but when McCormack went past our budget we jumped on him, at no point were we linked with him.

So I have to question our transfer system, who makes the list, who scouts players and who does the buying?

This is the second season where we apear to be struggling with key areas for players.

Indy -

Without knowing the details I don''t think I would lay blame at anyone''s feet.

We all know Norwich were within inches of landing McCormack and that didn''t happen due to Villa being prepared to over pay on his fee and wages.

Absolute lunacy to blame the current board set-up, Bowkett and McNally were in charge during the last summer window where a CB was needed as desperately as Norwich currently need a striker. Ed Balls has been in charge since December and signed 3 players for over £8m - it would suggest that he is nothing to do with any logjam.

From the outside it looks like Vydra would be a good choice, but as he hasn''t gone anywhere it probably isn''t as black and white as it seems.

There are 7 or 8 lower prem/upper Championship clubs looking for strikers right now. It is a tough market and Norwich certainly aren''t at the front of the queue. It is however, about getting the right man in, not the ''right now'' man.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Indy -

Without knowing the details I don''t think I would lay blame at anyone''s feet.

We all know Norwich were within inches of landing McCormack and that didn''t happen due to Villa being prepared to over pay on his fee and wages.

Absolute lunacy to blame the current board set-up, Bowkett and McNally were in charge during the last summer window where a CB was needed as desperately as Norwich currently need a striker. Ed Balls has been in charge since December and signed 3 players for over £8m - it would suggest that he is nothing to do with any logjam.

From the outside it looks like Vydra would be a good choice, but as he hasn''t gone anywhere it probably isn''t as black and white as it seems.

There are 7 or 8 lower prem/upper Championship clubs looking for strikers right now. It is a tough market and Norwich certainly aren''t at the front of the queue. It is however, about getting the right man in, not the ''right now'' man.[/quote]

Fair point Beth.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Indy -

We all know Norwich were within inches of landing McCormack and that didn''t happen due to Villa being prepared to over pay on his fee and wages. [/quote]Hasn''t that always been our problem ?Yes McCormack was well overpriced and a risk but was as near as damn it guaranteed to get you goals. Why do we always try to do things on the cheap ? Rightly or wrongly football has changed and people have to be prepared to pay silly money to get the players they want. It seems that our Board are always looking for '' value '' and are unable to speculate to accumulate.By far our best chance of returning to the Premier League is over the two parachute payment seasons but the way it''s looking we''re not prepared to gamble.Let''s hope we don''t back and regret that if we languish in the Championship for years on end.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]In actually news.

Norwich are not in control of everything and will have to wait for clubs to make their player available or for players to kick off and force a move.[/quote]So at whose feet should we lay the blame for not signing the required players then?Let''s look at it this way. Imagine I am working in purchasing for a car manufacturer and on May 15th I am given the responsibility to purchase 3 tonnes of leather for seats in the new top end model vehicle being built and I am been told I have a deadline of say, August 31st, just to pick a random date. I know full well that the cars cannot be rolled off the production line and into the showrooms without this leather and it is my responsibility to make it happen. So I approach a leather makers and enquire about prices, and I am given a price that I feel is too expensive and I baulk at it and move onto another supplier and go through the same process over and over, about 300 times or so. In the mean time our competitors come along behind me, and are willing to pay the price that the leather manufactures have set for their stock and as my deadline approaches it becomes clear that there is no longer enough leather available on the market to meet the requirements that I have been given. My deadline passes without a single tonne of leather being purchased and I go to my bosses and say "I did my best, I was unable to procure the leather for our new vehicle at a price I was willing to pay for it. I know that we won''t be able to manufacture our new top end car, but there is always next time."I would be held responsible for not sourcing the leather and I very much doubt that I would have a next time. But this seems to be exactly how Norwich City work when doing their transfer business.

It is only right Norwich look for value. There is no one around to bail the club out if they take a massive risk and it all goes wrong.

We don''t and won''t ever know the ins-and-outs of the McCormack deal or how aggressively Norwich pursued it. But if the figures bounded about are correct then Villa will be paying £21m for Ross over the course of the deal. I think it is only right Norwich didn''t commit themselves to that. You have to set a limit somewhere. I also suspect that Villa would have kept upping their offer even if Norwich had matched that deal.

Luckily, the very next day the club spent £8m on a 23 year old who was among the best players in the division a couple of seasons ago. Great player, no gambling needed.