Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

11 days to go and no sign of activity

Anyone heard any rumours re strikers coming in?

It is very quiet at present and one gets that same dreaded feeling as last summer when we waited and waited for the CB to appear.

Please tell me we are not going to be making frantic bids as the clock runs down only to go with what we have or else bring in lesser quality than we let go.

So simple yes or no- will we bring in better strikers than Jerome or not?

Dean Coney''s Boots, maybe try actually reading the content on the Pink''un. To help you out I''ll point you kindly in the direction of the latest Pre-Match Presser with Alex Neil (if you''re even aware he''s now our manager).

Maybe then you can come back and reply to your own thread with an answer :)

There was a bit in the Times today by Oliver Kay quoting a lower Prem manager (unnamed) talking about Palace and their signings of Tomkins, Townsend, Benteke etc and stating his chairman wouldn''t fund 10m for a striker let alone 30m.

His view was you need 30m to get a striker with guaranteed goals.

Good article talking about the crazy prices this summer and Arsenals (or Arsene''s) problems - says you need to identify the player and pay the price now as time is running out.

I''m guessing we''ll need to sign someone who looks/sounds like a striker rather than a proven goalscorer and hope it works out

Since we have effectively only one first team striker, Lafferty is only for time wasting substitution use and Morris is probably not yet ready, any striker is better than no striker.

AN says we have considered 300 or so potential candidates. You''d think we could get one of these over the line. Not to do so tells us much about the quality of our recruitment processes. I am fully expecting us to make eleventh hour loan signings rather than any permanent signing of a striker. Even this will be better than nothing.

For what it'' s worth I''d go for Woods of Leeds United who has a one in three record at this level last season.

I think Chris Wood is a pretty average striker at this level tbh. If we couldn''t get anyone else then so be it but we should be signing better than him

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]The transfer window system has been in place for several years, why have you not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]More to the point, why have those who are in charge of bringing in new players to the club not yet grasped how it works?

If it hadn''t have been for the failure to land the main target(s) last Summer which meant that we were due a struggle from the outset I would be less concerned.

As it is there is a hint of deja vu and a suggestion that something might be lacking in the Club''s transfer dealings.

We now have a new CEO and a manager with an additional year''s experience of such things under his belt and a new scouting set-up, so there is no real consistent factor there.

Neither do I think that there is a shortage of cash, although in the McCormack deal we were clearly out-bid I think that most would agree we might have reached the limit of good sense in any case.

I am inclined to agree with CC that a deal or two could well be in the pipeline as it is beyond comprehension that we will continue this season with such limitations up front.

We could have just been unlucky (very) but they say you make your own.

I assume that there will be an interesting week ahead and wonder if Sky will do that countdown thing on the last day and if we will have that private jet at the ready.

[quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"]The transfer window system has been in place for several years, why have you not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]More to the point, why have those who are in charge of bringing in new players to the club not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]

That guy sitting next to you wearing the ''I''m with Stupid'' t-shirt is Dean Coneys Boots.

There won''t be any signs of activity until the deal is done but Im confident we''ll have at least one if not 2 strikers by 31st

[quote user="Diane"]There won''t be any signs of activity until the deal is done but Im confident we''ll have at least one if not 2 strikers by 31st[/quote]

👍

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"]The transfer window system has been in place for several years, why have you not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]

That guy sitting next to you wearing the ''I''m with Stupid'' t-shirt is Dean Coneys Boots.

[/quote]

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates (the philosopher not the ex-brazil international)

[quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"]The transfer window system has been in place for several years, why have you not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]

[/quote]

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates (the philosopher not the ex-brazil international)

[/quote]

slander
ˈslɑːndə/
noun
Law
noun: slander
the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person''s reputation

libel
ˈlʌɪb(ə)l/
noun
noun: libel; plural noun: libels
Law
a published false statement that is damaging to a person''s reputation; a written defamation.

"It would be stupid to confuse ''slander'' and ''libel''." - A Load of Squit.

I am slightly concerned that we haven''t actually brought in at least one capable striker to the club at this moment in time......There''s well over a week until deadline day, but personally, I would have preferred a striker addition to be settled in place and featuring in the squad at the onset of this season.

Not surprising that there''s a lack of yes or no answers being as the OP didn''t even give one. I guess it really depends on how good people think Cameron Jerome is. On Tuesday it seemed to me that quite a few thought Lafferty is better than Jerome and with that school of thought the answer would be yes. Then there''s me, who thinks Jerome is better than nearly all the strikers we get linked with and with that school of thought the answer is no.
So I do think we''ll sign a striker or even two. Not sure if they will be better than Jerome but I hope at least one will be different to Jerome.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"]The transfer window system has been in place for several years, why have you not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

slander
ˈslɑːndə/
noun
Law
the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person''s reputation

libel
ˈlʌɪb(ə)l/
noun
Law
a published false statement that is damaging to a person''s reputation; a written defamation.

[/quote]

Pedantic - A state of mind which is about caring a lot about formalities, often

more than necessary. One may be called pedantic when he/she points out

corrections in unimportant details.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"]The transfer window system has been in place for several years, why have you not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

slander
ˈslɑːndə/
noun
Law

libel
ˈlʌɪb(ə)l/
noun
Law

[/quote]

[/quote]Oh and just to add, this wouldn''t be defamation in any form as it is entirely accurate. [;)]

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"][quote] user="Iwan''s Big Toe"][quote] user="A Load of Squit"]The transfer window system has been in place for several years, why have you not yet grasped how it works?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

slander
ˈslɑːndə/
noun
Law

libel
ˈlʌɪb(ə)l/
noun
Law

[/quote]

[/quote]Oh and just to add, this wouldn''t be defamation in any form as it is entirely accurate. [;)]

[/quote]
Nothing to add except I like huge posts...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Not surprising that there''s a lack of yes or no answers being as the OP didn''t even give one. I guess it really depends on how good people think Cameron Jerome is. On Tuesday it seemed to me that quite a few thought Lafferty is better than Jerome and with that school of thought the answer would be yes. Then there''s me, who thinks Jerome is better than nearly all the strikers we get linked with and with that school of thought the answer is no.
So I do think we''ll sign a striker or even two. Not sure if they will be better than Jerome but I hope at least one will be different to Jerome.
[/quote].

why did you think that?

because Lafferty was applauded onto the pitch when he came on as sub......if thats the case I think you spectacularly misread that situation..

The biggest concern should be that we are about to play our 4th league game without more than one experienced or first team regular striker. There''s going to be no time to bed a new player or two in, and if targets that we are going for are being held by their current clubs until they get a replacement, then we should have moved on to other targets that could have seen the squad already forming a cohesive partnership and not running the risk of an injury that would see Kyle Lafferty as our man up front.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Not surprising that there''s a lack of yes or no answers being as the OP didn''t even give one. I guess it really depends on how good people think Cameron Jerome is. On Tuesday it seemed to me that quite a few thought Lafferty is better than Jerome and with that school of thought the answer would be yes. Then there''s me, who thinks Jerome is better than nearly all the strikers we get linked with and with that school of thought the answer is no.
[/quote].

why did you think that?

because Lafferty was applauded onto the pitch when he came on as sub......if thats the case I think you spectacularly misread that situation..[/quote]
Well here''s the thing. Cam was immense on Tuesday. Especially the second half. He got some recognition for that when he was subbed. But not as much as Lafferty got for entering the field. Now you can read what you like into that situation but you''ll do well to make a claim that Jerome''s efforts were appreciated more than Lafferty''s introduction.

....well I saw it as Jerome being applauded, quite rightly off the pitch.....and then a separate/continuation of the same applause when Lafferty entered, in Laffery''s case , I think many people just want him to be given a chance, and neither him or indeed us as fans being insulated with the situation as was vs Sheff Weds when he was left out altogether in favour of Carlton Morris.

I''m surprised that anyone would interpret that as suggesting that people are thinking that Lafferty is better than Jerome....just our best back up off the bench at this moment in time.