Sign in to follow this  
pete

Lafferty love in on canary Call

Kyle getting lots of praise on CC. Should he start Saturday ? well no but definitely on bench we have no other options up top. Laffs should be sold again no until we have two strikers in he will be our only other option. Would Lafferty goals have kept us up last season yet again no ridiculous question.

The usual incise football insight from the CC callers.

Agree he did well tonight, but start on Saturday, no chance, Cov were very poor, but we had plenty of good performances and some great goals, so a job well done. Canos looks the real deal, imo

Purely looking at things from a pitch-only perspective, I think that, given Lafferty''s contribution during the meager drips and drabs of game time he''s actually received in his time here with us, he should''ve been given more of a chance to prove himself. That is, as a striker who can compete as an alternative/back up option to Jerome. I don''t honestly think there''s a great deal of difference in quality between the two; both have their pros and cons.

However, when factoring in the unknowns, it''s obvious to me there''s a reason beyond ''not good enough'' for him being so out-of-favour. Unfortunately we can only make assumptions on what that is; attitude problem, poor discipline etc etc. And ultimately, I trust AN''s judgement despite the feeling of slight disappointment over the lack of opportunity presented to him.

I would be happy for it, whatever it is, to get resolved and for him to given a more willing place in the team; we really could''ve done with some fresh legs coming on for Jerome in these past few games. But, for whatever reason, I don''t see that happening and it seems he''ll keep only playing in games when Neil has no other choice; until we eventually find a replacement (or 2) and offload him.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m sure it''s something that he himself is capable of resolving and I don''t consider AN to be in the wrong or an unfair man. It''s just a shame to see a player who COULD do well for us waste away.

Alternately, it could be that he has told AN he doesn''t want to appear for us and he has every intention of leaving, subsequently we are avoiding putting him in as much as possible.

Not very likely. However it could literally be anything as far as we know; maybe he''s in some kooky space religion that doesn''t allow competitive movement before 4.30pm.

Take away the goal tonight and Laferty''s second touch was a tackle due to his first touch being so poor. Neil highlighted him winning battles in the air..... Personally thought he was mediocre in the air considering his size.

Suspect Neil is building him up as he''s resigned to the fact Lafferty will now be part of the squad - which is sensible, if you have a player you may need to use, try and inject confidence into him.

The feeling I get is that he''s not got much quality but can bully oppositions & is a decent finisher - probably better than Jerome. OK as third choice striker. Or fourth ...

[quote user="ron obvious"]The feeling I get is that he''s not got much quality but can bully oppositions & is a decent finisher - probably better than Jerome. OK as third choice striker. Or fourth ...[/quote]

Good finish this eve and wouldn''t take that away from him but he had oceans of space and was one on one with gk..... Jerome would have scored that - hell, I would have got a shot away and I''m not a professional footballer!

Would keep Kyle this season, as I''ve already said earlier this summer. He''s a completely unknown quantity to date for Norwich City in the striking role, but not for Northern Ireland - nobody on this forum can argue that with me, it''s a fact. Am arsed about first touch etc - if he has the self confidence to bang the ball in the back of the net when the opportunities present themselves, then that''s all that matters to me.

[quote user="ron obvious"]The feeling I get is that he''s not got much quality but can bully oppositions & is a decent finisher - probably better than Jerome. OK as third choice striker. Or fourth ...[/quote]This pretty much sums up my opinion of him.He worked hard tonight against a poor opposition, and took his easy finish well. He does have a presence, but at times lacked quality and composure on the ball last night. Quite a few poor first touches, and scuffed balls.He''ll do a job as a 3rd / 4th option, but nothing more. If he wants to be the main man somewhere, then I''d say League 1 would probably be his level.Talk of ''his goals'' keeping us up last year is laughable. He even ended up getting dropped when he want on loan to a struggling Birmingham team, where his only goal was a tap in from a ''keepers error.

If we keep him Neil has got to be open to giving him more than a minute or two here and there. I don''t hugely rate him but I think a motivated Lafferty could be a good option for 10-15 minutes off the bench to get at tired defenders and generally be a bit of a nuisance.

Whilst Lafferty had his fair share of poor touches he also showed plenty of decent link up play; both in the air and on the ground.

To those of you that have criticized his quality on the ball, I''d like to know how you feel he compares to Jerome in this respect? I personally don''t think that there''s a great deal of difference, if anything Lafferty is more comfortable with the ball at his feet and spreading the play.

Kyle lafferty, the voice of the voiceless, the people''s chanpion! Cody mcdonalds secret lovechild!

There''s one eeeeevery season and the same sheep follow along.

I just don''t have the energy to be one of these people pushing people from the fringes and using it as a weapon against the club. Can''t be arsed.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Whilst Lafferty had his fair share of poor touches he also showed plenty of decent link up play; both in the air and on the ground.

To those of you that have criticized his quality on the ball, I''d like to know how you feel he compares to Jerome in this respect? I personally don''t think that there''s a great deal of difference, if anything Lafferty is more comfortable with the ball at his feet and spreading the play.[/quote]No. I disagree.Game of opinions ''n all that....

I guess much depends on what function you want to Kyle Lafferty perform at Norwich City.

If you think he''s going to be the prolific front line striker to compete with Jerome and fire us to promotion then I think that''s foolish. However, as 3rd choice striker I honestly don''t see who the club can recruit who''d be better in that role. I''d much prefer us to retain him and concentrate our energies into signing 1 top rank forward.

And whilst, he''s here at the club it seems kind of perverse not to use him when we only have one other striker. So I wouldn''t be adverse to him getting 10 mins here or there in matches rather relentlessly flogging Jerome into ground as he tires - a player who we simply cannot afford to lose through injury.

I suspect one of the major reasons he does not fit well with AN, is an off the field situation.

Recently his International Manager quite openly said in the papers that he was a bad time keeper, and difficult to manage. Don''t forget his recent fine for football betting. Everyone felt the Prince of Wales Rd would be seeing him more than we would on the field!

So clearly not of this would fit well with any manager and other team mates.

This being the case he may be difficult to shift, as I am sure much more will be known about him in football circles. That then begs the question WHY DID WE BUY HIM? Seems to me with the reputation ,

he had before his arrival, we could not have done much a due diligence check on him.

Whilst I do not consider Kyle Lafferty to be the answer to our current striking needs and would prefer him off the books and a few thousand in the kitty, I do not think that he has been given a fair chance on the field of play and assume that it has been due to off-field issues.

He''s not that bad after all and if on the books should have his uses.

I actually thought that he should have been given a few minutes on Sunday to ruffle a few feathers. Young Canos had little chance to do much with McCarthy looking to close the game down.

Now here''s a question for the purists.

Becchio or Lafferty? Who''s for you?

Not sure how many of the Lafferty lovers on here went to the Coventry match but they were really poor side, probably 4 of the City goals would never have been scored because our scorers would never been given that amount of room in TC

daly wrote:

''''Not sure how many of the Lafferty lovers on here went to the Coventry match but they were really poor side, probably 4 of the City goals would never have been scored because our scorers would never been given that amount of room in TC ''''

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does preferring Lafferty to come on for a tiring Jerome with 10 minutes to go (instead of nothing at all) make me a ''Lafferty lover''?

We''re not a CL side which needs 3 top line strikers. We need two with a couple of back ups as we won''t attract the sort of quality players prepared to be 3rd or 4th choice in the Championship who are likely to be any better than Lafferty or even Morris/Murphy as fill ins. I wonder if they rue Loza going?

Assuming Lafferty isn''t in the top 2, I don''t see why on earth he is not an entirely adequate back up either for the bench to offer something different or as emergency use as injury cover. I just don''t see us getting anyone who is materially better in that role and why waste the money on someone who isn''t going to play much? I''d much rather the club spent much bigger bucks on a genuine upgrade on CJ so we have two top proven strikers.

This isn''t Lafferty loving, it seems pragmatic to me.

[quote user="king canary"]No it wasn''t, we had Grabban and Hooper on our books at that point.[/quote]

I''m pretty sure we bought Grabban after Lafferty.  Can''t remember about Hooper but then he''s not exactly a substitute for a player like Jerome/Lafferty.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Does preferring Lafferty to come on for a tiring Jerome with 10 minutes to go (instead of nothing at all) make me a ''Lafferty lover''?[/quote]No I don''t think so. I think most people commenting on this thread have stated that he''d do a job as a 3rd or 4th option at this level.I think people get a little touchy though when talking about poor Laffs, due to there being those out there (like previous Canary Call love-ins the OP was alluding to) that still believe that he should have been played more last season, and that he''s the saviour to all our problems. I don''t think anyone on this thread is really subscribing to that theory - but you don''t need to go that far to find them.Current state - I don''t think anyone would argue with a 20min Laffs cameo. But the manager doesn''t seem to have had much faith in him so far this season. It will be interesting this weekend to see if Tuesdays game has changed that.