Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

League cup draw

Who do we want in the next round then? I''d say we want to go as far as possible in the competition so it gives maximum opportunities for the youngsters to get a competitive runout to help their development (although after last night they won''t fear anybody I imagine!). Anyhow, I''d go with the weakest remaining team at home... so maybe Blackburn or Northampton?

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Yep, agreed, Blackburn at home, followed by a home draw against the winners of the Accrington vs Morecambe tie![/quote]So you don''t want Liverpool away then Crabby?[;)]

Mmmm OR, lets hope it isn''t a damp squib of an away tie against high ranked Prem League opposition. Let''s have a bit of fortune, in the draw, for a change................

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Mmmm OR, lets hope it isn''t a damp squib of an away tie against high ranked Prem League opposition. Let''s have a bit of fortune, in the draw, for a change................[/quote][Y]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Sky Sports 1 tonight following the Accrington v Burnley game.[/quote]

We''re No 18.

[quote user="Ron Manager"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Sky Sports 1 tonight following the Accrington v Burnley game.[/quote]

We''re No 18.[/quote]Number 18!! That''s Reading away.

Worst posible draw would probably be something like Everton or Sunderland away... Long, long trip for a game we''re unlikely to win (certainly with the kids) against a less-than-glamorous opponent... I bet we end up with one of those two!

You don''t want to be picking the kids for an away tie against PL opposition it might be an experience too far. Home tie against Gillingham, Northampton or Blackburn will do nicely

Should we try to return Naismith for a full refund while we''re there?

[quote user="GJP"]Should we try to return Naismith for a full refund while we''re there?[/quote]Unfortunately we''re stuck with him as AN has lost the receipt.

Magic of the cup?

Everton away bore draw says otherwise. Ah well, always next year etc etc

absolutely awful draw. At least if was against a Premier League side who were in Europe there''d be a chance that they may have played a 2nd XI.....but Everton, as they did last night will play a strong side as they will be going for this competition.

Unfortunately that means we either play the kids again but this time run the risk of taking a beating, or be tempted to play a stronger side which we could well do without in a busy Championship schedule and in all probability still get beaten.

.....hats off to anyone going up there for that one........

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Worst posible draw would probably be something like Everton or Sunderland away... Long, long trip for a game we''re unlikely to win (certainly with the kids) against a less-than-glamorous opponent... I bet we end up with one of those two![/quote]

Alas Andy alas... :(

OK. Happy Clappy Percy Positive post for the thread: -
!973-74 season we scored six in the second round (Wrexham 6-2). Then went on to win 1-0 at Goodison in the third round.
Don''t go all that way and arrive late though. David Cross got our winner in the first minute that night....

Surely this is a good draw?

Stick the lads out with feck all to lose and let them have a go. Ok, we''re likely to get beat but it''s another superb opportunity to test our young talent.

Obviously Coventry at home would have been more favourable but erm.....

Did this trip last season, complete with extra time and pens, will give it a miss this time!

In related news, I''m off to buy a lottery ticket...

Seriously though, what a crap draw. Hopefully we send the kids anyhow, but with a better ''keeper and a couple of senior players here and there. Even a defeat would be worthwhile experience for them.

I see this as a win/win if we go up there and play a similar side to the one that played Tuesday.If we lose as expected - we''re out of the League Cup with no more cup games to worry about until Jan, while the fringe players get a good run out against a strong team.If we get an unexpected win - the kids played well and handled the occasion of going to a big premier league club. They can enjoy a memorable night! Plus, we''re still in the cup, with the future looking more than rosy.