Sign in to follow this  
Robert Fleck is still GOD!

Can you defend Worthy now? Yes or No!

Come on people this is really serious now!
Im not going to say no as everyone kept saying give him 12 games? Well what are the people who said this now saying give him 24 games?
Get real yes once the players cross that white line its out of his hands but hey maybe the players have had enough of his waffle?
I mean can anyone really defend him now?

I have defended Worthy all season but I cant defend this. I am very concerned not just for the season but for the financial implications that this undoubted bad season is going to have. I will keep the faith for a play off because we do have some fine players at the club, but for the first time I am thinking it might be time for Worthy to go.

Never thought I would here myself say it

so answer to the question has to be an unfortunate no

11 fit players - all professionals though, so yes it''s getting tough to defend Worthy.However, no-one as yet has come up with a realistic replacement. There is no earthly reason why anyone half decent would leave their current clubs. So I say, better the devil you know and give him till the end of the season. We will get to the playoffs.

I am also becoming anti Worthington. I have been pro Worthington up untill after the Millwall game.

Sheffield Utd have beaten Millwall 4 -0 away from home. We could''nt beat them at home.

The bad thing is we have alot of away games coming up.

I have a hunch that Worthies days are numbered. This is not something that i want to see, but if he isn''t getting the results and he has been given plenty of time then it is time for him to go.

Of course worthy can be defended - but I am still waiting for reasoned argument for him.

I have done the best job in recent days on a post about being positive.

But as much as you can defend him there is at least as equally a compelling case against him

OTBC

I''ve been pro worthy all season. Until now that is, I''ve just got back from the game and what a shambles the first half was!

Admittedely we could''ve scored 3 in the first half, but the defending was shocking and Greeno''s mistake was, well to be honest so bad it was hilarious!

When we came out for the 2nd half we were much, much better and could''ve scored more than 2.

What I want to know is why can''t Worthy get the team playing like that from the start? Why do we only start playing well when we''re losing?

A new manager with a fresh approach is what we need I think.

Btw, Jarvis played well when he came on and Henderson looked quite good in spells. IMO both should be given a chance.

OK, let''s try and get a degree of perspective. We can go on about the manager as much as we like but what went wrong tonight - the defence - the one thing virtually everybody on this board had been saying that Worthy had now got right. Doherty and Davenport have been MoM contenders for the past several games. What happened with the attack - scored two, hit the woodwork and had three cleared off the line - sounds a somewhat better return than we had against Millwall on Saturday. Sometimes it''s very difficult to explain a one-off result given previous performances - our beating Man U last season springs to mind. One thing that you do need to get out of this league though is a bit of luck with injuries and suspensions (didn''t Green, Edworthy, Fleming, MacKay, Drury and Holt play virtually every game in our promotion season?) and I can''t personally recall a worse run of injuries to key players - get the same players playing week in, week out and we''ll get some consistent (good) results.

Definitely not.  

I have not posted for some time as I am afraid I have found it all rather depressing. Last year I, against my instincts, was prepared to give Worthy the benefit of the doubt as I felt that it was such a big step up to the Prem that he could be forgiven for some poor results - unfortunately Wigan and West Ham have proved that if you do things right the step up is not as big as we would believe. There were a baffling array of "problems" last year (poor tactics, strange substitutions, refusal to drop poor performing players etc etc) which have been well covered on this board yet I was still prepared to give him my support.

From pre-season this year I have felt differently, we were no longer going to be a small fish in a big pond - we were a team that could and should win the vast majority of their games, given the squad and the cash available to the manager. Unfortunately I don''t believe we spent well, we clearly needed a centre-half so am not sure why we had to wait so long for the arrival of Davenport and we clearly needed an attacking midfield player in the mould of Francis which we still don''t have. I posted many times about my concerns in the pre-season games, I know many people feel that they don''t really matter but I don''t agree - I believe that if you are a genuinely good side then you should be beating "inferior" opposition such as Southend. This gets confidence up and gets you on a roll for the league games. The current campaign is going exactly as I feared, we have beaten or drawn against the poor sides but have lost virtually every game against anybody half-decent. If nothing changes, then up to January we will see more of exactly the same and a mid-table finish beckons. January could change everything, for better or for worse depending on transfer movements and there is little point in speculating who might come in or leave and what the consequences of that might be.

What I really do fear is that we are on the edge of stepping back into being a small mid-table championship side whereby if we had the right manager we would be stepping forward into being a mid-table premiership side, all the "off-field" (ground, fans, squad) requirements are in position - it is just "on-field" that is not happening.

What Worthy has shown to me is that he cannot "add value" to the squad, it is largely comprised of internationals and he cannot get the best out of it - that is why I believe he should leave. I will add that I think he should do the "decent thing" and resign rather than have to be sacked but with a long valuable contract I don''t think that is very likely.

Mark .Y.

Judging by the timings of these postings none of you were actually at the game tonight?

Whilst all the players and staff were booed off at half time, they were applauded on, except worthy coming out last was booed again - so there is certainly more decent tonight than I have ever witnessed.

Before we go overboard on Worthy we need to have a cast iron better cert ready to take over - you''ve got short memories if you can''t remember the football we played under Hamilton, Megson, Rioch and Deehan!  Worthy has brought the club more success than we''d had for over a decade.

He has also been unlucky with injuries - and some transfers who looked like coups have taken a while to bed in.

Enough pro Worthy stuff though!  WHY DOES HE FEEL THE NEED TO PLAY PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION?

When we have injuries give the players waiting in the wings a chance.  He could have played Javis up front from the start.  He scored an awesome goal against Liverpool last year, a good goal tonight and looked lively.  WLY is not a striker he''s a winger - play him on the right.  Charlie is a left back, play him there not in midfield when Jarrett is on the bench.  Don''t play Henderson at all.  For each good thing he does 5 bad things, he gave the ball away cheaply and couldn''t defend tonight.

Also, while we''re bashing Worthy why can''t he change things until after they''ve gone wrong.  Don''t wait till the oposition score before replacing the player everyone can see is having a bad night.  We had no midfield tonight - rather than let WLY struggle with no service he could have pulled him to right wing and substituted Hendo for Jarrett and switch to 4-5-1.

Personally, I see no better managers out there.  Every manager has a sell by date but Worthy deserves some loyalty for the success and stability he has brought to the club.  Judge him on his performance with a full squad and a bit of luck.  If you don''t support him, support Delia and the team and suffer in silence.  ANd I can right this after having blown £50 and got a soaking going to one of the worst grounds and seeing one of the worst NCFC performances in years.  Luton didn''t win to night, we lost.  But COME ON CITY!

Good post, Zipper. You are right, there is a lack of reasoned argument to validate any support for Worthy. Come on, the likes of Dicky, Always Travellin, MadDan, etc. ; you are often quick to have a go at other posters (like me!) for daring to suggest that Worthington has lost the plot - let''s hear some reasoned debate as to why we''re wrong after yet another poor result.     

[quote]Come on people this is really serious now! Im not going to say no as everyone kept saying give him 12 games? Well what are the people who said this now saying give him 24 games? Get real yes once the ...[/quote]

My opinion did not change: at the end of November if we are still not in the Top 6, Goodbye!

Maybe???? like DD i am struggling

But at the moment i think i am just 51 / 49 in worthys stay.

Islington Canary, my post like yours was written last night but only moderated and posted this AM.

My point about being at the match is, that if after investing time and money witnessing the debacle first hand I can be humble and supportive then those listening on the radio should have patients too.

CanaryYellow, they say that patience is a virtue, something a lot of people on this board don''t have!

However, that first half yesterday was appalling and I cannot remember seeing such a comedy performance from Norwich and think people have a right to be impatient after that display.

Personally I think it''s going to be like this all season. When everyone is fit we''ll be a force to be reckoned with, but it''s only going to happen a handful of times due to the paper thin squad and the number of injuries we''re getting. The rest of the time it''s we''re going to be somewhere between indifferent and awful.

Whether a new manager would do any better is the question. Some form of shake up is definitely required though.

Lets hope that the players pay us back with a good performance on Saturday. Although if it all goes horribly wrong again I won''t have far to travel to get home this time!!

I think it''s absolutely ridiculous for us to be talking about Worthington to get the sack. Have some of you been following the last 7 games this season because thats when we have started to improve. 4 wins out of 6 is good. Norwich are improving not getting worse. I think that Norwich have been playing well up until the Millwall game. But even that wasn''t that bad it was just a blip. If Huckerby had a scored that penalty, no fans would be complaining. Come on be cheerful look on the bright side. We have SHEFF WED, CARDIFF to play so that should help. Hopefully if we take 3 points from those 2 then that will stand us in good stead for the games to come. 

THERE''S STILL HOPE WE MUST KEEP BEING POSITIVE, AND BATTLE ON 

[quote]I think it''s absolutely ridiculous for us to be talking about Worthington to get the sack. Have some of you been following the last 7 games this season because thats when we have started to improve. 4...[/quote]

I am struggling to see how we are improving.  The Millwall game was awful and last night worse - the fact sheff utd put 4 past a very very weak Millwall says everything about Saturday.

The only teams we have beaten have been reduced in number or sit below us in the league - the likes of Plymouth, hull and brighton were welcome wins but hardly a good benchmark. 

Is taking 3 points from Cardiff and Sheff weds good enough?  For a team with promotion ambitions I dont think that is acceptable at all,  but agree itis OK if we want mid table underperformance. 

OTBC

If we take 6 points from those two games all it will do is paper over the cracks again and prolong the agony. As soon as we play someone decent again we will be shown up as happened last night.

This sense of dissatisfaction with Worthington is not a recent thing. I and many others have been saying it for 15 months now.

Sadly, no I can''t, as many others have said, this run of form, his tactics, injuries etc are not a new phenomen, nothing that I personally feel about Worthy has just happened.  Even during our championship season we had some rather indifferent performances, last year most people gave him the benefit of the doubt due to the opposition, but then again, Wigan and West Ham seem to be exceeding expectation and making progress, when we didn''t.  Why are they so much better than us?

Several things that have transpired since relegation have made up my mind for me, his lack of foresight in the summer regarding cover, particularly in midfield - didn''t he say he wouldn''t get anyone in until June so we didn''t have to pay a contract when the player wouldn''t be playing.  Well, I would rather have paid for someone to come in early, ie to get the best of the bunch of those available, and pay an extra month''s wages then be left with the rest on the shelf.  He persistently plays people out of position, was until recently playing underperforming players due to favouritism.

I am still really worried about his tactics used in games, the amount of injuries we are still getting which are a result of training.  And then there was his outburst to the fans.  I have to say seeing him walk off the pitch at Luton at half time, he looked a very lost and unhappy man and on a personal level I do feel sorry for him, but sentiment cannot come into it.  He is taking our club down the pan, we are massively underachieving with the squad we have at our disposal. 

Last night I went to watch the reserves, in effect the Academy side, all of them young.  What a revelation, a real team - passing like a dream (btw, Leicester were also a good side), some great awareness by all of space and movement, no cynical fouls, just honest attractive football.  Who coaches them?  Well technically on the day Keith Webb, but day to day, Dave Williams.  Now that is the sort of football I want to watch.  It was a 0-0 draw, but incredibly entertaining, and as well, reassuring that we do have a team at Norwich City who still practice the art of good football. 

More than anything I want our club to go forward, and for someone at the helm who can realise those ambitions.  Worthy has done some good work, but sadly he has reached his sell by date.  He is devoid of ideas and still, more importantly hasn''t learnt from previous mistakes.

We need fresh impetus and ideas, enthusiasm - Worthy''s feellings and frustrations are obvious in the players now.  Time for a change.