Sign in to follow this  
AJ

McCormack article on Pink'Un

Sounds like a bit of a kn0b really.

Decided to go to a team that failed dramatically last year by quite some margin and a team who he was told had "bad eggs" in the dressing room. Tells us all we need to know! £££££££

Don''t think you would find many neutrals who would say Villa aren''t a bigger club than Norwich.

They''ve had their problems over the last couple seasons but they are still a big club.

In a straight shoot I''d expect most players to choose Villa over Norwich, even without the fact they can pay more in wages.

This article is of no relevance to us so why Archant are making such a big deal out of this non transfer goodness knows.

A detail of that story that is more interesting is his claim that it was his decision not to join Norwich - and that our bid was accepted.

So does this mean that Fulham were willing to sell at 10m?

or did we really bid 12m?

or even more bizzarely - they accepted a 10m bid from us and 12m bid from Villa at the same time?

or is McCormack being "economical with the truth", and our lower bid wasn''t accepted?

It''s much like the Pritchard situation.

Brighton had a smaller offer accepted by Tottenham, to gazump the deal Norwich had to make a larger offer to Tottenham so they would accept it quickly (i.e. before he signed with Brighton).

I suspect Norwich did have a lower offer accepted by Villa jumped in with a bigger one to push it through quickly.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]This article is of no relevance to us so why Archant are making such a big deal out of this non transfer goodness knows.[/quote]^This with knobs on.

Bigger club? Undeniably

Do they have as good of a chance of getting up as us this year? No, in my opinion. Villa could finish anywhere, I personally think they''ll stutter all year then make a late run into the play offs but it would take a brave person to bet on us finishing outside the top 6 (Then look at AN''s play off record)

I would have been happy to have him here and was disappointed when we lost out but surely if he was that desperate to play at the top level he wouldn''t have joined Villa.

Exactly Bethnal. It''s great when we pinch Pritchard from under Brighton''s nose but not when we lose out to Villa at the last minute with McCormack. Hell hath no fury like a canary scorned!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]This article is of no relevance to us so why Archant are making such a big deal out of this non transfer goodness knows.[/quote]

Thanks for the article Archant! Massively surprised that a player who''s been at a club weeks has gone to press saying he doesn''t regret moving to the club who paid millions for him and pay him £45k a week.

Archant really have gone to sh1t

Well overpriced and overpaid IMHO.

And it''s defenitely about money. If he had asperations to play more regularly for his country he could have come here to play with other regulars and stand a better chance at that too.

Also the £10million offer rumour is a red herring. That was a good week or so before the transfer happened and was a tabloid rumour that said something close to: "Norwich have put two bids in for McCormack, both rejected and one believed to be of £10million."

This was on a Friday I think because Neil was asked about it after the game following that and said that talks were at an advanced stage as Fulham were no longer rejecting offers and were engagedin dialogue instead. That to me suggests we had offered more than £10million.

Also, with Villa''s owner bleating on about it on twitter for a while before it was resolved I still believe that it was Fulham playing crafty buggers. As in a bidding war and it would seem player sales at Villa may have had a part to play, that or it was just coincidental.

[quote user="Diane"]Not interested in McCormack or anything he has to say[/quote]

👍

Yep Villa won more than us in the past, but that''s history - it''s about the ''now'' for me. I know which squad of players I''d prefer by a country mile - and it certainly isn''t theirs 👍

Villa have signed a lot of good players this summer but that is because their squad was terrible. They''ll take time to bed in an if they''re performance v Derby is anything to go by it hasn''t happened yet...

I don''t give a toss what happens at Villa, bit of a non story really.

Funny thing he''s just a lower league player and will be dropped next year should villa go up!

I can''t believe as others this is news for us, who gives a toss and dogded a 21 million pound cock up.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We should not seek to criticise players seeking to maximise their incomes.[/quote]OR (from the gospel according to St Highland)......We should only seek to criticise players who play for Norwich City. [:)]

I was quite keen for us to get McCormack and my thinking was that his ''guaranteed'' goals over the season would have given our promotion hopes a major, major boost.

I believe this to be irrefutable and therefore we quite rightly expected to pay for this commodity.

Supply and demand.

The fact that it was two Championship clubs fighting over his signature, that no Premier League sides had ever chased after him, that he was very high cost all-round and that his age made this more of a risk were good enough reasons not to mourn our loss.

One splendid shot apart he did not look his worth on Sky recently and the thought did go through my head that he may well have been a better fit at Carrow Road rather than at the tumultuous Villa Park where progress is likely to be more painful.

As things are turning out I now do not think we missed out as much as my original disappointment suggested and, finances apart, I think perhaps the player''s reasoning for choosing Villa over us is a bit confused.

My money remains on us to go up rather than Aston Villa. It might change.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]Yes I''m sure the £45k per week had nothing to do with it - mercenary pure and simple[/quote]

They''re all at it. The boy Pritchard was on the cusp of draping a Brighton scarf above his head when Norwich dangled a bigger carrot in front of his nose so he came here and draped a Canary scarf above his head instead.

Now we are supposed to believe he is the biggest Canary fan ever, right?

Okay now pull the other one................

For those suggesting we did well to dodge McCormack because he''s just after increased wages, what do they make of Pritchard and his decision to come to Norwich instead of Brighton?

Pritchard is 23 and is growing into a quality player, he has 8 years of prime football ahead of him.

At 8 million and I expect lot lower wage than 45k a week, a very strong addition to our squad.

I don''t see any issue in McCormack going to Villa for a combined cost of over 25 million taking fees and wages into account.

I never was keen on a player in the same bracket as Hooper, he didn''t fit out club and I saw McCormack as the same.

Much happier with spending less on a full international with higher league experience with his best years ahead of him, like Olivera

[quote user="Indy"]Pritchard is 23 and is growing into a quality player, he has 8 years of prime football ahead of him.

At 8 million and I expect lot lower wage than 45k a week, a very strong addition to our squad.

I don''t see any issue in McCormack going to Villa for a combined cost of over 25 million taking fees and wages into account.

I never was keen on a player in the same bracket as Hooper, he didn''t fit out club and I saw McCormack as the same.

Much happier with spending less on a full international with higher league experience with his best years ahead of him, like Olivera[/quote]You maybe happier Indy but Alex Neil clearly wanted McCormack and Oliviera has probably been signed because time is running out and just about anybody will do now .

AN also bought in Andrue, Naismith & Jarvis, not sure that''s a great arguement.

Value and potential there''s no comparison, IMO.

Let''s see in 19 games time where both are in the scoring stakes, that''ll be a good bench mark comparison.