Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Is MBOKANI our no. 9?

No, just the website hasn''t been updated. We aren''t a premier league club you know!

[quote user="nu_matik"]No he isn''t. Do we need to mention wages again for the 16573334514th time?[/quote]

Where does this idea that we can''t afford his wages come from?

We were prepared to pay 12M+45k/week to McCormack and we had the funds for that. Total cost of £14.35m

If Mbokani comes on a free and wants 75k per week as rumoured, that''s £3.9m over the season. The money''s there without a doubt, and regardless of wages, he''d be one of the cheapest options we could get.

McNally was the one with the obsession over wage structure; If Alex wants Mbokani and Mbokani wants to come, the deal will happen. I reckon he''s waiting on potential interest from a Prem club who have him down as 3rd-choice if their top targets fall through; if he doesn''t get that gig I wouldn''t be at all surprised to see him come back to us on deadline day.

Wes is missing as number 14 as well apparently

If that player helps us get into the Premier League with the significant increase in income that would bring, then no I don''t think it''s as big a risk as some people make out. Yes, wages are ridiculous these days but we have two choices - accept that, pay the going rate and get players who can help us achieve our targets; or decide that we''re a small provincial club who won''t pay top level wages and resign ourselves to a future at a lower level.

I''d also add that taking this risk on a player who knows the club and is a proven goalscorer is less of a potential hazard than gambling 14m on a single player who may or may not end up working out for us.

I think, Andy, the point that Hank is trying to make is that signing a player for free but making it up with monumental wages would upset the equilibrium amongst the squad - others will feel (possibly rightly so) that they too should be on a par with the clubs new top earner. It''s possible that some of our current players already have in their contracts something that says they will automatically earn the same as the clubs highest paid player so there has to be a balance and for that reason I can''t see anyone like Mbokani coming in on silly money (regardless of whether he''d play in the Championship or not).

That''s it Alex, if Kiev were willing to let Mbokani go for free then a potential option would be to tempt DM with a huge signing on fee; having the affect of balancing out his restricted wage. Seems feasible but I think this signing will be completely reliant on the other attractive offers (or lack of) that are made for him.

Juicy has been quoted as saying he wants to play in England, if no one bigger than us comes in for him then unless he really didnt like it here , its a no brainer.Money will be a secondary factor, if no one above us wants to pay him what he''s on at the moment then we can negotiate something that suits all parties...including our current senior players.