Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Goal machine

Fair play to him, he obviously has something about him due his record pre joining us.

Sometimes it doesn''t work out and players need a few years to get back to a decent level - look at Torres after leaving Liverpool, failing at Chelsea and Milan but standing out for Atletico last year

RVW. To be fair it''s a pretty low standard in that league

He''s now playing with confidence, which will make all the difference despite it being a lesser league. Don''t care what anyone says on here - you won''t make it to that level unless you''re a very good player, you don''t bumble along by accident being a professional footballer for christs sake. He was a good player, but sadly, and very tellingly, what he lacked was the arrogance and mental strength to play with confidence after not really hitting the ground running (bar Everton goal). You could literally see it drain away from him and he then got heavy feet and everything associated with zero confidence. Good luck to him rebuilding his career in Holland, I''m sure he''ll do very well 👍

[quote user="Alex "]He''s now playing with confidence, which will make all the difference despite it being a lesser league. Don''t care what anyone says on here - you won''t make it to that level unless you''re a very good player, you don''t bumble along by accident being a professional footballer for christs sake. He was a good player, but sadly, and very tellingly, what he lacked was the arrogance and mental strength to play with confidence after not really hitting the ground running (bar Everton goal). You could literally see it drain away from him and he then got heavy feet and everything associated with zero confidence. Good luck to him rebuilding his career in Holland, I''m sure he''ll do very well 👍[/quote]

Funny that you mention confidence, arrogance & mental strength - he is remembered for being a complete failure.

However, after the Everton game, we played Hull, he has about 6 touches the entire game & was slated - but one of them was a header which forced a great save from their keeper. Then a few games later we played Villa, we win a pen & RVW has the ball in hand until Snodgrass rips it out of his hands. He takes & misses the pen. Its a thin line, if he had took that pen who knows what could have happened?

Yep who knows, one things for sure, he didn''t have the self belief to come back from it. And that''s why I think it didn''t work out for him here - the whole argument that he couldn''t play football was quite bizarre as no way could you get through training and into the line up if you couldn''t trap a ball etc, though I''m convinced some Norwich supporters actually do believe that 😂

I think the fact that he let Snoddy take that pen off him says it all. I''ve never doubted his ability but how many PL strikers, who happen to be the clubs biggest marquee signing in history and the appointed pen taker, would be so weak in such a position?

I can''t see anyone else giving that ball up so easily.

Funny how you see it as RvW being ''weak'', rather than Snoddy just being a c**t...BTW - How''d that confidence work out for Snoddy with the pen...ahem....

Not very well did it Indy - I''m not advocating Snoddy taking the pen, he shouldn''t have and Hughton should''ve subbed him off as soon as he''d missed it but then he was weak also.

I''m sure the Man City team is full of major ***** but I can''t see Aguero giving up a pen for any of them. Likewise, any other PL striker. RVW was mentally weak, which is why he failed here, which is a shame as I said earlier, he definitely had the ability to be a success.

[quote user="Clint"]Not very well did it Indy - I''m not advocating Snoddy taking the pen, he shouldn''t have and Hughton should''ve subbed him off as soon as he''d missed it but then he was weak also.

I''m sure the Man City team is full of major ***** but I can''t see Aguero giving up a pen for any of them. Likewise, any other PL striker. RVW was mentally weak, which is why he failed here, which is a shame as I said earlier, he definitely had the ability to be a success.[/quote]Don''t know how your figure that.  He was not mentally weak in the case of the penalty - more taken by surprise that some kn8b would come and insist on taking the ball off him when the manager had given him the job in the first place. No excuses for Mr. Snodgrass there - found out on every level that day.

They can close the roof there to stop the wind blowing him over. That''s why he''s doing well again, he was just too slight for CR in windy Norfolk.

Should have bought a roof and filled in the corner instead of buying Hooper that summer

[quote user="Clint"]Lakes why didn''t he just tell Snoddy to sod off?[/quote]Maybe he considered himself too professional to do that? Maybe he thought (stupidly) that Hughton would do something or make it clear from the touchline this wasn''t meant to happen? Maybe his teammates could have supported the named penalty taker instead of just letting Snoddy hardball his way onto it? Unless RvW comes out with a genuine answer to the question we''ll never know for sure what was going through his mind at the time (other than ''this guys a complete tool'' or words to that effect), but whatever the reason, his TEAMMATE should have known better and acted more professionally - instead of trying to make everything about him (as per f**king usual)...