Sign in to follow this  
oh huckerby

WILL WORTHY WALK TONIGHT????

I''ve been saying Worthy Out for a long time now, in fact, I started the original Worthington Out thread, yet I got jumped on for doing it, so I am not going to mention it anymore.

As far as tonight goes, Luton do not have a better team than us, but they play for thier club and thier manager, we don''t.

[quote]it''s sad to say that any more damage in the second half and worthy might walk or be pushed!!! come on u yellas!!![/quote]

He should do the honourable thing & resign at half time

Yes, I think he''ll walk from the dressing room to the team coach but not before coming out with the usual "effort, pass the ball, we''ve got to be better" guff

Well as an optimistic supporter I still believe we can stage a comeback.Whats the point unless you have hope?Remember Middlesborough last season and remember it only takes a second to score a goal.OK, I''m clutching at straws, what else can I do in the circumstances?

no he wont, unfourtuantly.

the board will only sack him if we get relegated.

It''s just an embarrasment! He''s got to go now!!!!!! No Passion or pride, that''s down to the manager. We''re becoming a laughing stock, come back Ken Brown, or Bondy, or Ron Saunders, or Bryan Hamilton..............................................Maybe things aren''t quite that bad yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wont walk - unfortunately.

And oh, Canary Boy, you flatter yourself if you think you started the "Worthington Out" Campaign - some of us have been saying it since well before the start of last season

But welcome to the Club!

Worthy will probably put it down to injuries. There''s always an excuse which is never his failure to learn, adapt, create a team, get the basics right etc. he will tough it out regrettably, I just can''t see him walking away as he knows he is onto a good thing will a mild Board and an undemanding fanbase who he thinks pack out the stadium because they enjoy watching him serve up this mistake ridden stuff game after game.

[quote]He wont walk - unfortunately. And oh, Canary Boy, you flatter yourself if you think you started the "Worthington Out" Campaign - some of us have been saying it since well before the start of last sea...[/quote]

I don''t think it''s anything to brag about, deciding who was first to jump on the ''sack the manager'' bandwagon. Every manager has his day, and Worthy got us into the Premiership out of nowhere, by taking some bold decisions and pressurising the board to put up the cash to make it happen.

Unfortunately, we''ve now regressed back to the same kind of football we suffered under Hamilton and Co, and I believe it''s about time for a change at the top. But who will want to come and manage us? There''s a lot of talk about Worthy not learning from his mistakes, so presumably we need someone with experience who''s been there and done it before at this level?

I''m getting increasingly annoyed with our performances, but remember it costs to sack a manager, and it also takes a good few months for a new manager to get to know his squad, and for his squad to get to know him. Who could (and would) actually be the man to take us back to the promised land?

Sadly he won''t because he only has to wait and get the sack, and it will be mega payday.  I cannot ever remember him saying that he and his staff have maybe got things wrong, and perhaps they need to look at the tactics.

The people I feel sorry for are the players because their confidence must be rock bottom.  Even when we put out a weakened side they should still be good enough to beat the majority of opposition in this league.

Only the board can take the decision to change the manager because there is no way he will resign.  Blackpool board were brave enough, but are this board as brave.

Foley, Webb and Williams should be given a chance to turn things around.

canaryboy was indeed the first person in all the world to
start the worthy out theme, quickly followed by his invention
of the wheel and the lightbulb. well done there.

With future employment prospects assuredly encompassing the likes of Rochdale, he will hang on with every fibre of his being.
And if seven consecutive defeats wasn''t enough to get the board to move against Bryan Hamilton, we can''t expect any intervention from that direction either.

"I don''t think it''s anything to brag about, deciding who was first to jump on the ''sack the manager'' bandwagon"

It''s not a question of bragging, rather a question of pointing out that some of us have been concerned about Worthington as a manager for a very long period of time. Concerned about his "man management"; concerned about some of his transfers, in and out; concerned about his seeming lack of coaching skills; concerned about his poor tactics; concerned about his inability to motivate his players at crucial times; concerned about his "blindness" about what is happening on the pitch; concerned about his bloody mindness in persistently picking favoured players etc, etc.

My point being that the problems did not start this season, they were apparent even before we got promoted and they were not sorted last season.

Now they have come home to roost - big time

[quote]"I don''t think it''s anything to brag about, deciding who was first to jump on the ''sack the manager'' bandwagon" It''s not a question of bragging, rather a question of pointing out that some of us ha...[/quote]

Okay, you make some fair points there. But as a young manager (who, incidentally, many of the fans were against from the start due to his Hamilton connections), Nigel took us from being a club destined to scrabble around in mid-table to a team of Worthy champions. He issued challenges to the board to ''match his ambition'', and when they did, he gave us one of the best seasons of my life - only the 92-93 era comes close to it in terms of actual achievement balanced against expectation.

He turned the club around, he turned the fans around, and he bought us players like Huckerby, Ashton, Safri, Francis and so on. Nigel deserved the chance to keep us in the Premiership; buying Ashton was a massive gamble that nearly paid off, and if he''d put Safri in the team ahead of Holt as soon as he was fit again, I think we''d still be in the Premiership now.

It''s only in the last couple of months that Nigel has been unable to motivate the talented squad he has assembled to play with the confidence and style they are capable of. Sacking him will cost the club a lot of money, and if we want any decent manager to replace him, it''s going to cost a lot more in compensation - either that or put another untried manager into the fray, and what''s to say he wouldn''t make the same mistakes?

My patience seems to be a bit longer than most people''s, but it''s not inexhaustible - and if I''m honest, I haven''t been able to get to see any of those spectacular away performances - but with Safri and McKenzie fit again and Ashton returning to form, we are definitely capable of putting a run together and getting into the play-offs. Even with Mourinho in charge we''d struggle to hit the top two this season, so I still think we should give Nigel a few more games to turn it around.

I don''t care what happens at Birmingham to be honest, but four points from the next two games (or maybe even six) and we''ll still be in the mix. Southampton haven''t won in nine - it''s not easy getting reaccustomed to Championship football!

[quote]Okay, you make some fair points there. But as a young manager (who, incidentally, many of the fans were against from the start due to his Hamilton connections), Nigel took us from being a club destine...[/quote]

Nice balanced and articulate post, Coelho.

[quote]Okay, you make some fair points there. But as a young manager (who, incidentally, many of the fans were against from the start due to his Hamilton connections), Nigel took us from being a club destine...[/quote]

I agree that this an articulate, balanced post. 

However, my opinion is that we did not perform last season as well as we should have for all the reasons stated. Just one away win would have kept us up - I don''t think the fact that we could not achieve that indicates that we had a good manager, but that''s my opinion which I accept is not universally shared.

My fear is that we also massively underperforming this season as well and I don''t see any consistent signs of it being put right and for that reason I would like to see a change of management now, before it is too late to rescue this most important of seasons.

coleho you say nigel took us from being a club who were
mid table scrabblers, just wondered what we were doing
in mid table now seem like scrabbling to me. how
many years later, how much cash spent, how much of a better
team than hamilton had. like you say he''s done a great job.

[quote]coleho you say nigel took us from being a club who were mid table scrabblers, just wondered what we were doing in mid table now seem like scrabbling to me. how many years later, how much cash spent, h...[/quote]

rich/fatmanfat:

I am not satisfied with recent performances, and yes we are indeed scrabbling around in mid-table at the moment. However, before Nigel took over we''d been doing it for five years, not two months.

The team we have now is unquestionably light years ahead of the Hamilton era (and indeed the Rioch era, Megson era) but it''s not performing. I agree that a change of manager might get this team playing to its potential, and if it does then we should get promoted.

But to get in a better manager, we have to pay Worthy off and also pay off the club of the new manager. Considering how tight finances can be if you don''t go straight back up (I''m looking at Leeds, Ipswich, Bradford etc.) can we really afford to pay off Nigel''s contract and a new manager''s old contract? I have no idea how much this would cost, but I''m guessing it''d be seven figures.

The best we can hope for is that Nigel resigns, and we get in someone else who''s out of a job... but who? It''s so frustrating being a City fan at the moment, but I just want to make sure we don''t go from the frying pan to the fire... all the changes of management did nothing for continuity in our last nine-year stint in this division, and it was only when we stuck with a manager and gave him a few years that we got our success. Nothing happens overnight.

Since the Premiership started, there have been countless teams who got relegated and thought they would walk this division. Our supporters are guilty of complacency and inflated expectation, as have been the supporters of Southampton, Palace, Wolves, Leicester, Derby, Leeds, Coventry (all of whom have bigger stadia than ourselves)... I could go on. I''m guilty of it myself.

So who is our saviour, then? It''s all well and good saying ''Worthy out'', but who fills the vacuum he leaves behind?