Sign in to follow this  
E I E I E I O

Where is our Killer instinct?

I am a season ticket holder that travels 5 hours each way to home games and am getting fed up with the performances this season!

I feel that we have a far superior squad to the rest of this division and granted we do have injuries, however my point is this. When we won the title 2 seasons ago we did''nt have as stronger squad as this season. The players all looked like they wanted to be there though.

The First half performance against Millwall was awful, Why were Millwall picking the ball up on the edge of there box and running 50 yards unchallenged. This is''nt down to injuries!!

My major point though is that with the players we have now we should be winning the odd game at least by 3 or more goals like palace and sheff utd are. Why arent we?

In my opinion it is because we have progressed as a squad thanks to nigel! However he has always been a manager that demands hard work and lacks flare. The players we have for this league are not being allowed to express themselves fully! Why are Marney and Hucks not on opposite wings whenever available? They are class players.

I feel that we have had a good manager for a few years who has brought us too another level. However I feel that his lack of flare is not working this season! We cannott bank on scraping home 1-0 and 2-1 the rest of this season. We need to go out and let our class tell and attack teams. Anyway what do you think? Has Nigel took us as far as he can?

I must say that I agree. We should be attacking teams from the off and utilising our superior attacking resources.  The second half at Luton opened my eyes as to our potential quality in attack if we include Jarvis and Henderson and with a bit more luck we would have got at least a point. Against QPR I would like to see the same team and tactics that we deployed in the second half against Luton.

Obviously a change has to be made as regards Davenport who is suspended, but I think with Jarvis and Ashton together up front and Huckerby and Henderson on the wings, with the same attitude as in the second half on Tuesday we can win on Saturday. In my opinion that second half  was the best that we''ve  played all season and I''ve seen most of the games.

I would rather watch Norwich lose playing that way than adopt boring negative tactics such as Everton, Bolton etc. do and that is why I personally want to see Worthington survive the current witchhunt.

Ian, welcome to the Board. In answer to your question, yes, he has taken us as far as he can (basically, in a big circle). We need someone with fresh ideas, a grip on tactics, plus a good coaching staff. You look at the start that Wigan and West Ham (and even Sunderland!) have made in the Premier League and you realise how poorly managed we were last year. This season is no different and we''re going backwards. I only travel 10 miles to watch the generally dismal performances at Carrow Road and I''m well hacked off, so goodness knows how you must feel!   

Hi Ian and welcome to the board.

I too am a season ticket holder who only has a ten minute walk to the ground, but I am equally frustrated!

Yes, we do have a superior squad to many, if not all other teams.  Though as we have now found out due to many first choice players being injured, we don''t have enough strength in depth, and that is due to lack of foresight by the manager.  He had long enough in the summer to regroup, many players left the club, but weren''t replaced with others of equal ability, especially Francis.

You make the point about Millwall attacking our box, I find this to be the case in almost every game we play - we frequently don''t close down and the wingers get around the full backs particularly on the left side, no it isn''t due to injuries, it''s due to tactics and game plans, though to be honest I am not sure what Nigel''s game plan is. Sometimes I suppose it''s due to playing someone who isn''t sure of their role, maybe filling in in a different position than they normally would.  I thought if this was to happen the said player would be told (ie coached) in any eventualities that might occur. 

Flair? Now you have reallly opened Pandora''s box with me Ian.  Worthy isn''t a name I would care to link with flair in any shape or form.  Flair we don''t do, at least not enough to benefit.  We have Huckerby who in many games is not used to the benefit of the team.  We had Bentley who possessed bucket loads of it and never reallly got the chance to express it.  We now have Ashton, a centre forward schooled at the most wonderful club for passing football and techinque and what happens, he is fed crumbs from Green, ie high balls in the air. 

You, like me wonder why we aren''t tearing teams apart.  By all accounts we were all over Brighton for a great deal of the match, and Watford 2nd half, but as we still can''t link play from defence to attack in a passing along the floor system, we continually feed the ball to Hucks, who more often than not has two defenders on him.  (This completely bypasses centre midfield, I still yearn for a Francis type figure in C Midfield).  What a surprise as he seems to be our main outlet that opposing managers choose to close the main threat down. Lately I thought things were improving with the introduction of McVeigh, IMO our most gifted "vision" player, but he has since fallen by the wayside. 

So, yes, I would agree we have an improved squad since Mr Worthington took over, but it is not used to its full potential and some promising players have been allowed to leave and not adequatley replaced. 

Worthington does place a great deal of emphasis on hard work and commitment, but as it has transpired, it doesn''t always work and isn''t enough on its own.  Besides, hit a bad spell, as we now have and just how committed are they?  Luton? Yes, well, there you go.

As you say we do need to go out and attack teams from the word GO.  This has long been a sore point with me, at home especially that the opposition come out and dictate the game, leaving us to hit on the break.  We have such great assets in Dean Ashton and Darren Huckerby, it is just not good enough that both are not used to their best effect.

And yes, I do believe Worthy has now taken us as far as he can and we need fresh impetus and ideas, as well as someone who can get the best out of, what is on paper the most talented of squads.