Sign in to follow this  
Stowcanary

Villa about to sign Kodjia

This could be good news for our own search for a striker, they seem to be linked with most of our targets and they obviously have the power to outbid us ( as shown with McCormack).

For a fee raising up to £15m according to the BBC!!! Has no one told Dr Tony about FFP o does he just treat them with the same disregard as all the other rich cheats?

Very good signing for them unfortunately, McCormack and Kodjia as a front two looks very dangerous on paper.

Would have loved us to sign him (much more than McCormack), but i think realistically with the money Dr Xia appears to be pumping in we wouldn''t really be able to compete on this one.

I still think as a squad we beat Villa in a fair few areas though, and the window isn''t shut yet.

Doubt we will see a top striker sign now , Moxey has all but said Oliviera is a good signing because he is cheap and he has the 9 shirt . Still dont think there is anywhere enough goals in the squad .

Another site has said they''ve had a £20m bid rejected for Hernandez.

Either way that leaves Ulloa, Rhodes or any of the remaining 300 we are after!!!!

I''ve also read that Liverpool rejected a loan bid for Ings from Sunderland!

Villa also have Gestede and although i thought that Kodija would have been a good signing for us for that money i would prefer assombalonga, but after going to the Birmingham game we just dont have enough upfront even with the NO signing.

Whilst it will not stop me lambasting our club for this striker debacle this summer can anyone who watched our game against Bristol City get their head around the fact that this type of player is now attracting such ludicrous fees?

I thought he looked lively and had some potential but all in all our defence managed to contain him. We really are going to have to get our heads around some ludicrous fees now if this is what it takes to get a relatively unproven championship striker.

Yes Jim, a jump from £2M to £15M in one season is ridiculous, considering, what he has achieved in that time. That says something (I think) about the Villa owner, but is also a sad indictment of the mad/obscene football world we live in now.

Someone (more than one, I know) needs to step in and sort this out.

So, Villa spend close to 30 million on McCormack and Kodjia, so they and Newcastle have strikers galore, although keeping them all happy is another issue. City spend a presumed 4.3 mill on Nelson (as near as we know right now). Well done NCFC, a properly run business, having to really know the value of every penny and pound, rather than just have some random Chinese with confetti money buy whomever they want. Honestly, like so many other clubs with mega rich owners, money becomes  less meaningful, and more sadly, the true soul of a football club is lost big time.Is always tempting to think these mega rich people will make a club more successful, but i look at our club, and would not want it any other way. We debate the players form and his performance after each match, we debate the incomings and outgoings, and all the other things that matter to us as City fans, but always, it means something, because its our club, it belongs to us, and its local.Having  rich foreign owners that can use money like water may seem wonderful, but to me it all becomes nonchalant, and the soul of a club is lost. City are our club, they are owned, run, lived and breathed here, and our heart is not controlled from Shanghai or  Moscow or other random places. OTBC.

What a good post Essjayess. The soul and the history of the club and it''s links with the community are more important than anything a megarich owner could offer as far as I''m concerned.

Having said all that it does mean that we have to do everything we can to make sure we punch above our weight in order to compete. That is why last seasons relegation, when we had a good enough squad to make a better fist of staying up, was so disappointing.

[quote user="Essjayess"]So, Villa spend close to 30 million on McCormack and Kodjia, so they and Newcastle have strikers galore, although keeping them all happy is another issue. City spend a presumed 4.3 mill on Nelson (as near as we know right now). Well done NCFC, a properly run business, having to really know the value of every penny and pound, rather than just have some random Chinese with confetti money buy whomever they want. Honestly, like so many other clubs with mega rich owners, money becomes  less meaningful, and more sadly, the true soul of a football club is lost big time.Is always tempting to think these mega rich people will make a club more successful, but i look at our club, and would not want it any other way. We debate the players form and his performance after each match, we debate the incomings and outgoings, and all the other things that matter to us as City fans, but always, it means something, because its our club, it belongs to us, and its local.Having  rich foreign owners that can use money like water may seem wonderful, but to me it all becomes nonchalant, and the soul of a club is lost. City are our club, they are owned, run, lived and breathed here, and our heart is not controlled from Shanghai or  Moscow or other random places. OTBC.[/quote]

well said

Well, NCFC we''ll never know if a rich Asian, Russian or an Alien from the planet Tharg or from any other random place, who will bring in confetti money to either lift or maybe destroy the present ethos at Carrow Road......What we do have, and what we can look forward to, is the appointment of a close relative as future head of the club once the majority shareholding duo stand down.......With that, I don''t see progress for the club.......But, it''s only my opinion........

Beautifully put Essjayess, i agree with everything you have just written.

In regards to Kodjia, he has proven in the last season that his is more than capable at this level, but we have a squad full of players who we can say the same about. I am still hoping that we will sign one more striker, but i can''t see us spending this sort of money, as much as I would love to see Assombolonga in yellow and green. If anything, the most I am expecting is N''Doye on loan, even though this wouldn''t be the most exciting player, i guess it would be satisfactory. A lot could happen in the next 24 hours, a lot will happen, but with regards to our own club, one more striker would/should be enough.

Official now. That means Villa have spent about £25m on strikers this summer and also have Gestede and Ayew- might be touch to keep them all happy.

Thats our main two rivals for promotion with massively better strikeforces than us , had all summer to get this sorted and made a right balls up of it again .

[quote user="king canary"]Official now. That means Villa have spent about £25m on strikers this summer and also have Gestede and Ayew- might be touch to keep them all happy.[/quote]

Gestede worth a cheeky bid? Villa would probably dismiss it but might then push Gestede to force a move out?

Pure desperation buying.

If they can''t make it happen this year they''ll be in league 2 in a couple of years

Risky

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Thats our main two rivals for promotion with massively better strikeforces than us , had all summer to get this sorted and made a right balls up of it again .[/quote]
Problem is, whether you like it or not, we can''t compete on a financial or club-size level with the two rivals you''re talking about. It''s unfortunate we didn''t get relegated alongside the Burnley''s and West Brom''s of this world, in that respect.

I wouldn''t see it as a desperation buy- they''ve spent big but they''ve signed two of the four top scorers in this league last season.

The costs are high but these players are proven difference makes at this level.

15M could buy you a premier league striker.

It''s a lot to splash out even in the current market in the Champ for a player unproven at the top level, we''ll see come the end of the season whether money buys your way out of problems...

[quote user="king canary"]I wouldn''t see it as a desperation buy- they''ve spent big but they''ve signed two of the four top scorers in this league last season.

The costs are high but these players are proven difference makes at this level.[/quote]
It''s pretty desperate at that price. We''re not talking a massively proven, 25 goal a season 21 year old here...
2008–2014Reims9(0)
2012→ Cherbourg (loan)16(3)
2012–2013→ Amiens (loan)32(9)
2013–2014→ Caen (loan)27(5)
2013–2014→ Caen B (loan)2(0)
2014–2015Angers28(15)
2015–2016Bristol City49(19)

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="CanaryOne"]Thats our main two rivals for promotion with massively better strikeforces than us , had all summer to get this sorted and made a right balls up of it again .[/quote]
Problem is, whether you like it or not, we can''t compete on a financial or club-size level with the two rivals you''re talking about. It''s unfortunate we didn''t get relegated alongside the Burnley''s and West Brom''s of this world, in that respect.
[/quote]

I had a look at the relative size of wealth the clubs have behind them and even knowing how little we rely on our owners, was surprised to see how far down the list we are when it comes to wealthy owners.  Even Doncaster have wealthier owners.  Newcastle - £5,600 millionVilla -              £920 millionNCFC -              £23 millionPuts things into perspective a little bit........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_club_owners

that''s a bit of a myth

old Micheal is worth more than Delia due to his publishing business

They are worth far more than 23 million !

they owns a debt free fottball club for a For a start

At a guess the club alone must be 40 million +

i am not taking anything away from Delia she saved the club and put money in but she has done well out of the investment

still poor compared to Ashley etc

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="CanaryOne"]Thats our main two rivals for promotion with massively better strikeforces than us , had all summer to get this sorted and made a right balls up of it again .[/quote]
[/quote]

Which is one of the reasons several of us were so despairing at out utterly pathetic efforts to actually stay in the premier league last season. We had done the hard bit in getting there. The ambition last season was pathetic and the assumption by many that we would be odds on to come back up again misguided. Worst possible season to come down with the identity of the two other relegated clubs. Just like in 1993 when we got relegated at the worst possible time. The horse has truly bolted with the champ finances this summer and the only advantage we have is the quality of our existing squad. If Neil wastes it we are down here for years.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="CanaryOne"]Thats our main two rivals for promotion with massively better strikeforces than us , had all summer to get this sorted and made a right balls up of it again .[/quote]
[/quote]

Which is one of the reasons several of us were so despairing at out utterly pathetic efforts to actually stay in the premier league last season. We had done the hard bit in getting there. The ambition last season was pathetic and the assumption by many that we would be odds on to come back up again misguided. Worst possible season to come down with the identity of the two other relegated clubs. Just like in 1993 when we got relegated at the worst possible time. The horse has truly bolted with the champ finances this summer and the only advantage we have is the quality of our existing squad. If Neil wastes it we are down here for years.[/quote]

I think to be honest the way in which we''ve conducted business or the lack thereof, in this window adding in the lack of motivation so far from our Prem standard squad shows that unless there''s a drastic change in attitude and play we are spending the first season of many down here again. Such a waste. I can see us finishing 9th or 10th. We needed the dead wood shipped out and fresh blood bringing in. Did neither.

We may not be able to compete with Villa or Newcastle but after 4 of the last 5 seasons in the top flight you would have thought there would be the money there to buy one decent striker if not two , a Rhodes or Assombalonga not really that much to ask is it . Our frontline is now as weak as it has been for years , Jerome hardly sets the world alight . As has been said we have 2 seasons to get back up or we will be back on a par with Ipswich and stuck in this league forever because Delia will never sell to allow investment and no club without a rich owner will compete with the clubs coming down .I still think two good strikers and we would have been promoted , Jerome and Oliviera probably means we wont , just my opinion nothing more .

To be fair to Jerome he''s got two in four games and is arguably as good as it gets in this league on his day. It''s what happens if he''s injured or has a dip in form or a bad day that''s the issue.

Hopefully Nelson will prove a viable alternative but we are still short in the striker department and I suspect we will offload Lafferty as well.